Re: [NTO] Common or not so common typographical characters

  • Mike Hopkins
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      From: "Ed Brown" <ebrown1927@...>
      To: <ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 9:40 PM
      Subject: [NTO] Common or not so common typographical characters

      > Hi All.
      > I don't really know if they are common typographical characters or not
      > but I need some for subscripts 1, 2, and 3.
      > Thanks
      > Ed

      Ed,

      Alt +0178 and alt+0179 (on the numerical keypad) give superscript 2 and
      superscript 3.
      Superscript 1 is alt+0185.

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike AT inav.net
    • Mike Hopkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        Sorry, I am half asleep and your request didn't penetrate as far as it
        should have.
        I showed superscripts, you asked for subscripts.

      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          No, I was asleep and wrote subscripts when I meant superscripts. You
          wrote exactly what I am using but so far I cannot get them by W3C's HTML
          validator.
          Ed

          Mike Hopkins wrote:

          > Sorry, I am half asleep and your request didn't penetrate as far as it
          > should have.
          > I showed superscripts, you asked for subscripts.

          If I had my life to live over again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
          -- Tallulah Bankhead

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
            Ed Brown wrote:
            >No, I was asleep and wrote subscripts when I meant superscripts. You
            >wrote exactly what I am using but so far I cannot get them by W3C's HTML
            >validator.
            >Mike Hopkins wrote:
            >
            > > Sorry, I am half asleep and your request didn't penetrate as far as it
            > > should have.
            > > I showed superscripts, you asked for subscripts.

            LOL Sometimes things turn out for the best. :-)

            What error do you get? I don't think there is a problem with those
            characters if you use iso-8859-1.
            http://snipurl.com/b15y

            If you use UTF-8 you have to use entities since Notepad can't output unicode.
            http://snipurl.com/b160
            Note that the validator chokes first on line 14 where the sup characters
            are typed with keyboard.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
              Me wrote:
              >Notepad can't output unicode.

              Actually, Notepad can but Notetab can't. :-o

              Lotta
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
                The other option is to use HTML "entities" for them. E.g. ² or ² for superscript two. An extensive list is at http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp and other web sites.

                Dave S

                >No, I was asleep and wrote subscripts when I meant superscripts. You
                >wrote exactly what I am using but so far I cannot get them by W3C's HTML
                >validator.
                >Mike Hopkins wrote:
                >
                > > Sorry, I am half asleep and your request didn't penetrate as far as it
                > > should have.
                > > I showed superscripts, you asked for subscripts.

                LOL Sometimes things turn out for the best. :-)

                What error do you get? I don't think there is a problem with those
                characters if you use iso-8859-1.
                http://snipurl.com/b15y

                If you use UTF-8 you have to use entities since Notepad can't output unicode.
                http://snipurl.com/b160
                Note that the validator chokes first on line 14 where the sup characters
                are typed with keyboard.

                Lotta

                ---

              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                  These will work, I used them and got a no validate from W3c but, it was
                  three periods in a row at the same point that is was objecting to, not
                  as I first thought the $#178 which is what I used. After I found the 3
                  periods which indicate usually that you are skipping the first part or
                  the last part of a sentence and using only the part that makes the point
                  you wish to make. Now the computer has just developed a thing to change
                  the fonts and font size in the middle of the road. I did not do this
                  myself, at least not intentionally. Wow just look at what this ing is
                  doing. What is going on here???
                  Ed

                  David Smart wrote:

                  > The other option is to use HTML "entities" for them. E.g. ² or
                  > ² for superscript two. An extensive list is at
                  > http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp and other web sites.
                  >
                  > Dave S

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Ed Brown wrote:
                    > These will work, I used them and got a no validate from W3c but, it was
                    > three periods in a row at the same point that is was objecting to, not
                    > as I first thought the $#178 which is what I used. After I found the 3
                    > periods which indicate usually that you are skipping the first part or
                    > the last part of a sentence and using only the part that makes the point
                    > you wish to make. Now the computer has just developed a thing to change
                    > the fonts and font size in the middle of the road. I did not do this
                    > myself, at least not intentionally. Wow just look at what this ing is
                    > doing. What is going on here???
                    > Ed

                    Ed,

                    I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
                    this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
                    trial and error.

                    horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …

                    ºvº
                    hrs <04-12-02> hsavage@...
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                      hsavage wrote:
                      >I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
                      >this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
                      >trial and error.
                      >
                      >horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …

                      It's better typographically speaking and much prettier, but three periods
                      won't make the validator cough. There must be something else amiss. Maybe
                      you could show us the page Ed, or at least tell us what error you get?

                      Lotta
                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                        Can't do because I uploaded the new page after removing the ... and it
                        then validated. Why hiccupped I do not know. I had 2 instances of 3
                        dots in one paragraph and it choked on both of them. I removed them and
                        it worked. I do not argue with success. ;-)
                        Ed

                        loro wrote:

                        > hsavage wrote:
                        > >I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
                        > >this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
                        > >trial and error.
                        > >
                        > >horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …
                        >
                        > It's better typographically speaking and much prettier, but three periods
                        > won't make the validator cough. There must be something else amiss. Maybe
                        > you could show us the page Ed, or at least tell us what error you get?
                        >
                        > Lotta
                        >

                        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                        > click here
                        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a5tjum/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1102099439/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                        Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
                        -- Unknown