formatted drive problem

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2004
      I just had to format a c: drive, and reload it from the ME restore disk.
      But for some reason it is stuck on 640 X 480 and 16 colors. How do I get
      it to adjust to a higher color ranges and 800 x 600 resolution. I
      think I had this same problem about 6 months ago and someone kindly told
      me how to fix it. But as I never thought that I would have this problem
      again I promptly forgot what steps to take.
      Thanks for any help you can provide,
      Ed

      --
      "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one perishes in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
      -- George Bernard Shaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2004
        Ed Brown wrote:

        >I just had to format a c: drive, and reload it from the ME restore disk.
        >But for some reason it is stuck on 640 X 480 and 16 colors. How do I get
        >it to adjust to a higher color ranges and 800 x 600 resolution. I
        >think I had this same problem about 6 months ago and someone kindly told
        >me how to fix it. But as I never thought that I would have this problem
        >again I promptly forgot what steps to take.
        >Thanks for any help you can provide,
        >Ed

        I have had the same problem, the generic Display driver in the recovery
        disc isn't the fully integrated one for the Monitor in use.

        If you have NET access on the affected computer look for the correct
        driver for the monitor, on Google, especially if the "add Hardware"
        wizard keeps putting the generic one back in.

        Jeff

        --

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        ~~~~

        Got a Blacksheep ancestor?
        http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
      • Jason W.
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2004
          On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 09:15:49 -0600, Ed Brown <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

          > I just had to format a c: drive, and reload it from the ME restore disk.
          > But for some reason it is stuck on 640 X 480 and 16 colors. How do I get
          > it to adjust to a higher color ranges and 800 x 600 resolution. I
          > think I had this same problem about 6 months ago and someone kindly told
          > me how to fix it. But as I never thought that I would have this problem
          > again I promptly forgot what steps to take.
          > Thanks for any help you can provide,
          > Ed

          Ed,

          Make sure it's not stuck in Safe Mode. Assuming it's not, the proper
          video driver isn't installed. If the video card hasn't been upgraded,
          check with the manufacturer. It sounds like your video card has been
          upgraded since you used a restore disc (which would have installed the
          right driver if the factory card/chip was still being used). If so,
          you should have a seperate driver disc that came with the card.
          Insalling the driver off the cd should eliminate your problem.

          --
          HTH

          Jason

          EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
          http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about