Re: [NTO] Re: [Clip] Re: One Line Clip Works

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
      In the computer I am currently using it says
      C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\

      but there is only one user set up on this computer :-).

      At 12:04 AM 11/25/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      > > H="Personal"
      > > ^!Info [L]^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$
      >
      >C:\Documents and Settings\Hugo\My Documents\
      >
      >Hugo
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
        Julie wrote:
        > In the computer I am currently using it says
        > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\
        >
        > but there is only one user set up on this computer :-).
        >
        > At 12:04 AM 11/25/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >
        >>> H="Personal"
        >>> ^!Info [L]^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$
        >>
        >> C:\Documents and Settings\Hugo\My Documents\
        >>
        >> Hugo

        Julie, Hugo,

        Thanks a lot, it appears, in both cases the correct path is shown. I
        guess our original trouble must be elsewhere.

        ºvº
        hrs <04-11-24> hsavage@...
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
          I am after several months having internal/eternal clock problems.

          When I BOOT my computer it is 1 YEAR advanced of the actual time,
          everytime.

          I have installed the Atomic Clock sync, and it fixes it, BUT since my
          computer thinks it is later than it really is at boot up, MY antivirus
          comes up "expired" and doesn't scan.

          I have run an external anti-virus/Trojan detector,a dnf the internal
          scans using Norton System Works 2004 PRO, and come up "clean".

          Changing the BIOS Battery has had no positive effect. (It alsoo LOSES
          about 6 minutes each thirty minutes while on.)

          Any suggestions?

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
            Hi Jeff,

            I messed and messed with a clock problem once and it was
            suggested to me that it may be the motherboard, that that is what
            they had to replace once. It fixed my problem. It is a drastic
            measure, but if everything else fails...

            >I am after several months having internal/eternal clock problems.
            >
            >When I BOOT my computer it is 1 YEAR advanced of the actual
            >time, everytime.
            >
            >I have installed the Atomic Clock sync, and it fixes it, BUT
            >since my computer thinks it is later than it really is at boot
            >up, MY antivirus comes up "expired" and doesn't scan.
            >
            >I have run an external anti-virus/Trojan detector,a dnf the
            >internal scans using Norton System Works 2004 PRO, and come up
            >"clean".
            >
            >Changing the BIOS Battery has had no positive effect. (It alsoo
            >LOSES about 6 minutes each thirty minutes while on.)

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
              for informational purposes, I got this:
              C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\My Documents\
              So perhaps the problem lies some where else.
              Ed
              hsavage wrote:

              > I wonder, would a list member, other than Ed, with XP Pro, please try
              > this short clip and let us know the result.
              >
              > H="Personal"
              > ^!Info [L]^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$
              >
              > The ^!Info [L] box should display the full path for 'My Documents' folder.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > ºvº
              > hrs <04-11-24> hsavage@...
              >

              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
              > click here
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129o2po9k/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1101425611/A=2434970/R=0/SIG=11edksnhv/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185402>

              "Strength does not come from physical capacity.
              It comes from an indomitable will."
              -- Mahatma Gandhi

            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                Jeff Scism wrote:
                > I am after several months having internal/eternal clock problems.
                >
                > When I BOOT my computer it is 1 YEAR advanced of the actual time,
                > everytime.
                >
                > I have installed the Atomic Clock sync, and it fixes it, BUT since my
                > computer thinks it is later than it really is at boot up, MY antivirus
                > comes up "expired" and doesn't scan.
                >
                > I have run an external anti-virus/Trojan detector,a dnf the internal
                > scans using Norton System Works 2004 PRO, and come up "clean".
                >

                > Changing the BIOS Battery has had no positive effect. (It alsoo LOSES
                > about 6 minutes each thirty minutes while on.)
                >
                > Any suggestions?

                Option 1: Set clock back a year before you shut the computer down.

                Option 2: Remove the flux capacitor.

                Option 3: Get antivirus software that doesn't expire.

                Option 4:
                I once heard of a freeware program that would fine tune the boot up
                sequence, including waiting for one task to complete before launching
                the next, and it should be able to make your clock-setting software
                run before the antivirus software. I just wish I could remember the
                name of the program...

                This is probably not the same software I heard about before, but _maybe_
                it will do it:

                http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

                Option 5: New motherboard.
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                  Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:

                  >Option 5: New motherboard.

                  Sadly I have had to do this FOUR times in the last three years.

                  My wife thinks I am using the "bad Motherboard" as an excuse to upgrade
                  the computer...

                  I am still waiting for my tech to explain "Memory leakage" to me...That
                  was why the other boards had to go.

                  Jeff
                • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                    Jeff Scism wrote:
                    > Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:
                    >

                    >>Option 5: New motherboard.
                    >>

                    > Sadly I have had to do this FOUR times in the last three years.
                    >
                    > My wife thinks I am using the "bad Motherboard" as an excuse to upgrade
                    > the computer...
                    >
                    > I am still waiting for my tech to explain "Memory leakage" to me...That
                    > was why the other boards had to go.

                    Weird. The usual meaning of "memory leak" is a SOFTWARE problem. A program
                    allocates memory, but does not reuse it or give it back to the operating system
                    after it is done with it - rather the program just keeps allocating more and
                    more memory until a significant amount of memory is being wasted which causes
                    system performance to decline. Terminating the program, or rebooting the
                    machine, would reset things again.

                    I've also heard of "capacitor leakage".
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm

                    In general, if one has to replace motherboards that often, one should
                    consider that maybe some other component is at fault and is harming
                    the motherboards. Bad power supplies can sometimes damage motherboards.
                    (Still, do not jump the gun and replace the PSU unnecessarily. I am just
                    speculating. I can't give a serious recommendation without knowing
                    more about the system - would probably have to see it in person - and
                    even then I still might have a hard time determining the problem.)

                    Just for kicks, trying running a program like "Motherboard Monitor"
                    ( http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ )
                    and seeing how consistent your voltage levels are. If they vary by more
                    than a few percent over time, that may be a sign of power supply problems.
                    (By the way, if the voltages are about 5% off of the standard levels,
                    but _stay_consistent_ - it is fairly normal, and is not cause for any panic.)
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                      I just updated my BIOS, I hope that solves it.

                      Jeff
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                        Hi Jeff,

                        >I just updated my BIOS, I hope that solves it.

                        Definitely worth a try. I would agree with Wayne in that
                        something is causing those motherboards to go bad or appear bad.
                        I've only had two bad ones and one was from the get go. The other
                        was the clock wouldn't be remembered and nothing I tried fixed
                        it. (Well, I did have one other go bad, but it was because the
                        fire department dumped tons of water on the fire and a tad bit
                        too much got in the computer. LOL) That's out of about 10
                        motherboards over about 10 years time.

                        My best running motherboards are Microstar Systems Inc. (MSI)
                        FWIW. My aBit was the bad one from the get go causing lockups - I
                        spent/wasted more time troubleshooting that board that I am not
                        willing to disclose. <g> The clock one was an old Socket 7
                        Soltek. I'm always a few years behind the latest and great due to
                        costs. On this machine I run a 1.1 GHz AMD Athlon, 1GHz
                        Crucial/Kingston RAM, 256MB Apollo Bloody Monster II video
                        adapter, no-frills CD burner 52x, Iomega zip drive 100MB, on a
                        MSI Turbo 2. I has a USB 2 PCI card on it, but it doesn't want to
                        run on this MB. It does on my wife's MSI MS-6330 KT7 Pro though -
                        odd, it's an older board (manufactured-wise).

                        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm