Re: [NTO] Eudora 4.3.2 setup

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004
      Hi loro,

      > I know it's old but I like it. :-)

      You and me both! I've tried for quite awhile all the others, but
      keep coming back to 4.3.2. It has some features that I must have
      that others don't. PocoMail is the only other that I sort of like
      once I configure out a lot of the stuff, but my Eudora and
      NoteDora babies (main and support by way of the shortcut trick
      mentioned in Help), for me, just can't be beat. I'll send you a
      private eMail. Consider it taken care of.

      Happy Camper,
      jody

      A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:
      but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

      See ya in the funnies! ;)
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004
        Hi Lotta,

        >Don Passenger wrote:
        >>but cannot you start a while back and bring it up to current?
        >
        >They, seemingly, don't provide a version to update from. But it turned out
        >they after all do but have misnamed it. I don't know why, must have been a
        >hunch, but I downloaded a bunch of files from their ftp and it turned out
        >the one found in a folder called updater42 and called ep4xto42.exe (that's
        >how they name their 'updaters') actually is a full installation. Yey!
        >Hopefully that'll fix the problems.
        >
        >Then ETrust released a new AV version. It turned out...
        >
        >Why do programs that start out as really good turn bad? I've used
        >Kerio for years and ETrust since the days it was free and called
        >Inoculate PE without a problem. :-(

        Me too! I don't really like the new version of EzTrust AV because
        they did away with a lot of the user configuration, or at least I
        cannot find it. It is causing a spam program not to work right
        when there is a virus in it so I have to turn off my eMail
        testing with it. (Don't try to figure that one out. ;) I haven't
        checked into thoroughly yet though, so maybe I'm not sunk in that
        department yet. I'm trying another setting now (have to reboot,
        etc.) so maybe it will be better for me. FWIW, I disabled eMail
        the other day in the settings. I just now enabled it, but
        unchecked the Clean and Quarantine. It'll probably still kill me
        spam program before done downloading, but worth a try.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004
          Do yourself a favor ... switch to Thunderbird. You'll really like it more.

          loro wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I think I need to reinstall Dora and I've lost the setup file. Qualcomm no
          > longer provides it, at least I can't find it, and I don't find it on the
          > Web. If someone has it, I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a
          > copy. I think 4.3.2 was the last in that series, but if there is a later 4
          > version (non beta), that would be OK too. That is, before they changed to
          > the yearly subscription model. I know it's old but I like it. :-)
          >
          > TIA
          > Lotta

        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004
            http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2350hq.html

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004
              Don Passenger wrote:
              >http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2350hq.html

              Uhm, yes, but the text on the page is misleading. The file is what they
              call an "updater". It updates a previous version 4 to 4.3.2.

              Lotta
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004

                loro wrote:
                > Don Passenger wrote:
                >
                >>http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2350hq.html
                >

                > Uhm, yes, but the text on the page is misleading. The file is what they
                > call an "updater". It updates a previous version 4 to 4.3.2.
                >
                > Lotta

              • Don Passenger
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004
                  I sent you a bunch of links off list ... let me know if I did better ...
                  http://www.egr.msu.edu/decs/facilities/software/eudora432.php is one
                  although I feel like an enabler ...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004
                    Don Passenger wrote:
                    >but cannot you start a while back and bring it up to current?

                    They, seemingly, don't provide a version to update from. But it turned out
                    they after all do but have misnamed it. I don't know why, must have been a
                    hunch, but I downloaded a bunch of files from their ftp and it turned out
                    the one found in a folder called updater42 and called ep4xto42.exe (that's
                    how they name their 'updaters') actually is a full installation. Yey!
                    Hopefully that'll fix the problems.

                    Maybe of interest, my troubles were caused by a buggy version of Kerio. My
                    whole system kept crashing. Dumb as I am, I didn't realize it was Kerio's
                    fault until they released a new version and the problem (almost)
                    disappeared. Then ETrust released a new AV version. It turned out it and
                    Kerio didn't agree. So I ended up downgrading both programs to versions I
                    haven't run for a long time and all my problems went away. Except Dora
                    keeps crashing. I figure it somehow got injured when the big boys fought
                    over it.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 19, 2004
                      Don Passenger wrote:
                      >I sent you a bunch of links off list ... let me know if I did better ...
                      >http://www.egr.msu.edu/decs/facilities/software/eudora432.php is one
                      >although I feel like an enabler ...

                      Oops! I had Dora off, trying all the installation files from Qualcomm. :-o
                      Yes, the links to the setups you sent off-list seem to work. You are
                      luckier than me. I also found it on a lot of uni sites but either I was
                      required to log in to download or the files were missing.

                      Thanks for helping!
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 23, 2004
                        Jody wrote:
                        > >Why do programs that start out as really good turn bad? I've used
                        > >Kerio for years and ETrust since the days it was free and called
                        > >Inoculate PE without a problem. :-(
                        >
                        >Me too! I don't really like the new version of EzTrust AV because
                        >they did away with a lot of the user configuration, or at least I
                        >cannot find

                        Exactly! In addition to that I hate the interface. They all use that
                        horrible "look" now, Kerio too. Why are they always light-blue? No normal
                        menus, can't use keyboard at all and the dumb thing can't be minimized
                        while scanning. Boo hiss! I paid for a year's subscription just a couple of
                        months ago, so I guess I'll stick with it a while. Then I'll go with one of
                        the free ones.

                        Lotta
                      • Barry
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 24, 2004
                          But I like it and it works very well, doing what it's supposed to do. So
                          there. <g>

                          Take care. Barry UK

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 24, 2004
                            Hi Barry,

                            >But I like it and it works very well, doing what it's supposed to
                            >do. So there. <g>

                            Good for you! But it interferes now with another program I have
                            and cannot be used for me in its current state. I have to turn
                            off the eMail checking and there's no way to remove it from the
                            tray. They took other configuration settings away also that I
                            need. They went Microsoftish on us. :( Please don't take that
                            wrong. I love Windows XP and some other MS products. It's just
                            that they do some things to protect the user that's really hard
                            to get around and causes problems if not worked around.

                            >Take care. Barry UK

                            U2! 8D

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 24, 2004
                              Hi Lotta,

                              >> Me too! I don't really like the new version of EzTrust AV
                              >> because they did away with a lot of the user configuration, or
                              >> at least I cannot find
                              >
                              >Exactly! In addition to that I hate the interface. They all use
                              >that horrible "look" now, Kerio too. Why are they always light-
                              >blue? No normal menus, can't use keyboard at all and the dumb
                              >thing can't be minimized while scanning. Boo hiss! I paid for a
                              >year's subscription just a couple of months ago, so I guess I'll
                              >stick with it a while. Then I'll go with one of the free ones.

                              I'm going to fall back to 6.x They still support it. For how
                              long, I don't know. Maybe they will come out with another 7.x
                              that gives the control back later. I think the blue colors used
                              now is just a fad thing and it goes with the XP default color
                              scheme. I remember light purples were popular for awhile as was
                              the peach and aqua(ish) maybe a decade ago. They still seem to be
                              sticking with the lighter pastels though.

                              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                            • Hugo Paulissen
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 25, 2004
                                Hi Lotta and Jody,

                                Digging deeper... I visited CA support.

                                I turns out that you do have more settings available by clicking the
                                Virus Scanning tab and after that, the Scan Settings button.

                                When you are there, press ALT+D and a more complicated settings
                                window will open. I wonder if this fits your needs though. In any
                                case, I do not think you can turn the system icon off, since it will
                                disavble automatic downlaods as well, apparently,

                                Hugo
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 29, 2004
                                  Hi Hugo

                                  >Hi Lotta and Jody,
                                  >
                                  >Digging deeper... I visited CA support.

                                  Wow! I wish I was more enthusiastic about visiting sites looking
                                  for documentation and answers to my questions. Time, you know... :)

                                  Thanks for posting the Ctrl+D below to get to more features to configure!

                                  FWIW, I had already reverted back to 6.xx and will just stay with
                                  it so long as they keep supporting it with new sig files. I'm
                                  turning 50 in January, so I guess you could say I am getting old
                                  and set in my ways. I so much more prefer the old standard of a
                                  Menubar to get to things that it is hard for me to get use to the
                                  new design of EZ Antivirus. They need to have a feature/button to
                                  click on (sort of like in WinZip as far as a feature goes) to use
                                  the Classic interface or the new one. WinXP has the same thing. I
                                  much more prefer the Classic windows. :) -jody