Re: [NTO] NoteTab Pro V5

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2004
      Hi gkluther, aka, Wink, Wink, and Others, ;)

      >I have been away for a long, long time and wanted to know what is
      >happening on V5 with much improved OTL etc.
      >
      >I don't need much info just is V5 still something being talked
      >about and will it be a Happy New Year??

      We are still at: We do not have an estimated time of release for
      v5, but it is being worked on. It will take awhile to be
      released, because Eric Fookes, the author and programmer of our
      products, is doing a total rewrite of NoteTab.

      Some of the main features for v5 are: customizable syntax
      highlighting, a better Block Copy/Cut/Paste, etc., customizable
      keyboard shortcuts to Clips, tree-view Outlines, removable &
      customizable Toolbars, plus much more...

      Treeview outlines *has been* one of the main features planned for
      the major release and mentioned for years now. One of the biggest
      problems is finding a good input control that is supported and
      will stay in business. Eric has a found a few, but each time they
      have just faded away.

      The major rewrite which will incorporate the tree-view
      (hierarchical) outlines, syntax highlighting, keyboard shortcuts
      to Clips, much better blocking/column selection/editing... will
      happen once we get the input control situation under control,
      time, etc. It really is a hot item for us to do and it really is
      being worked on. :)

      bcnu,
      jody

      I can only please one person a day.
      Today is obviously not your day.
      Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
      http://www.sojourner.us/software
    • RS
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2004
        GK, All,

        At 11/19/04 07:18 +0000 you wrote:

        >I have been away for a long, long time and wanted to know what is
        >happening on V5 with much improved OTL etc.
        >
        >I don't need much info just is V5 still something being talked about
        >and will it be a Happy New Year??

        I do not know if OTL support will be improved in a future NoteTab. We have been pleading with Eric for years and he's never shown the least interest in doing that.

        This was the reason why I started writing InSight, three years ago. Anything you might ever want to do with an outline is in there --- and if there is something I missed which you think might be useful for other users, just let me know and I might add it. --- Yes, you'll have to convince me first, but I'm willing to listen!

        Let it be clear: InSight is not a replacement for NoteTab --- in the same way that NoteTab is not a replacement for InSight. I still use NoteTab, too, half the time. But more often than not, I work with my OTLs in InSight, where I can underline text, or apply bold and italics, and highlight important passages. Most importantly, I can find anything instantly, and do a bunch of other stuff, like copying multiple topics, or having several topics opened side-by-side.

        Over the years I have written a lot of useful clips for NoteTab that greatly simplify tasks I normally perform on my computer. There is a lot of work and effort I've spent on NoteTab, and I wouldn't think of doing without them. So opening OTLs in NoteTab is still a must for certain tasks that are efficiently managed by those clips.

        There are, of course, other things that cannot be done with clips, or that can be done but the results are so poor and frustrating you rather don't. This was the motivation behind many of the features included in InSight.

        Best regards,

        Ramon Silvera
        Author of ClipWriter and InSight
        http://www.dataomega.com/insight
        http://ptools.home.att.net/ClipWriter/cw.htm
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2004
          Hi RS and Others,

          >I do not know if OTL support will be improved in a future
          >NoteTab. We have been pleading with Eric for years and he's never
          >shown the least interest in doing that.

          That is simply not true RS. It has been a main planned feature
          and posted many times over the years by me and Eric has mentioned
          it as well on the lists. It is just one of the main features
          mentioned for the major rewrite. The current input controls used
          are not feasible for the treeview outlines, major syntax
          highlighting, good blocking features, keyboards short cuts to
          Clips and more. Eric would waste a lot of time trying to program
          them in what we have now and they just wouldn't work correctly
          bogging down NoteTab terribly.

          Sincerely,
          Jody Adair
          Fookes Software Sales & Support
          Owner/Moderator Fookes Software Discussion Lists

          Fookes Software Products
          http://www.fookes.com/products.htm

          My affiliate link to Fookes Software, thank$!-)
          http://www.fookes.us/redir

          My NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          Clips, Libraries, Outlines, and more...
          http://www.notetab.net
        • ladyck3@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 19, 2004
            FROM RS:

            GK, All,

            This was the reason why I started writing InSight, three years ago.
            Anything you might ever want to do with an outline is in there --- and if
            there is something I missed which you think might be useful for other
            users, just let me know and I might add it. --- Yes, you'll have to
            convince me first, but I'm willing to listen!

            Let it be clear: InSight is not a replacement for NoteTab --- in the same
            way that NoteTab is not a replacement for InSight. I still use NoteTab,
            too, half the time. But more often than not, I work with my OTLs in
            InSight, where I can underline text, or apply bold and italics, and
            highlight important passages. Most importantly, I can find anything
            instantly, and do a bunch of other stuff, like copying multiple topics, or
            having several topics opened side-by-side.

            Best regards,

            Ramon Silvera

            ====================
            Per Ramon... Folks NTB is awesome, it is the cat's pj's but for a taste of
            SPLENDOR and AWESOME organization of OTL files (called "Cat" catalog)
            files, I gotta tell ya... Insight is my "BRAIN" I swear it is the best
            thing since slice'd bread.

            Now Eric, I use the dog out of NTP as well, and will certainly upgrade
            whenever the long wait has subsided because I know both programs and there
            are just some things its easier to whip NTP out for and others that Insight
            can't be beat on. I use them EVERY DAY but I used to use a program called
            "Vault" by PersonalMicroc0sms add a www and a .com on that... because I
            loved the hierarchal type structure of the data on the left panel..
            something that Insight does not"yet" have but I'm working on 'im :)
            ...... NTP does not either, that is something I have requested... but
            Insight is SO VERSATILE! I mean... enough, this is a NTP group but they
            are both the most useful programs I have ever been proud to own and they do
            most definitely work in tandem.... Check it out www.dataomega.com You
            won't be sorry you did.

            Ramon and Eric are my HEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs :) I mean it :)

            Laurie

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • RS
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 20, 2004
              Hi Jody,

              At 11/19/04 14:34 -0600 you wrote:

              >Hi RS and Others,
              >
              >>I do not know if OTL support will be improved in a future
              >>NoteTab. We have been pleading with Eric for years and he's never
              >>shown the least interest in doing that.
              >
              >That is simply not true RS. It has been a main planned feature
              >and posted many times over the years by me and Eric has mentioned
              >it as well on the lists. It is just one of the main features
              >mentioned for the major rewrite. The current input controls used
              >are not feasible for the treeview outlines, major syntax
              >highlighting, good blocking features, keyboards short cuts to
              >Clips and more. Eric would waste a lot of time trying to program
              >them in what we have now and they just wouldn't work correctly
              >bogging down NoteTab terribly.

              I was talking about *improved* OTL support, not a new kind of OTL with a tree-view structure. We all know of Eric's intention to add the tree-view. And I wasn't referring to that.

              I believe the source of your confusion was the fact that Laurie was telling us about her aspiration to have a tree-view display in outlines. Tree-views, as you have indicated, will be available in a future NoteTab 5. They are also planned for InSight.

              The "improved OTL support" I was mentioning would have consisted of essential but simple features like, for example, the ability to select multiple topics in an outline. There's no big deal about that. It doesn't require a special input control. Nor a great deal of work.

              The fact that, after all these years, we still don't have them can only be attributed to the author's lack of interest in the subject.

              ...Which I have to be thankful for, otherwise we wouldn't have InSight :)

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 21, 2004
                Hi RS,

                >>> I do not know if OTL support will be improved in a future
                >>> NoteTab. We have been pleading with Eric for years and he's
                >>> never shown the least interest in doing that.
                >> That is simply not true RS. It has been a main planned feature
                >> and posted many times over the years by me and Eric has
                >> mentioned it as well on the lists. It is just one of the main
                >> features mentioned for the major rewrite. The current input
                >> controls used are not feasible for the treeview outlines, major
                >> syntax highlighting, good blocking features, keyboards short
                >> cuts to Clips and more. Eric would waste a lot of time trying
                >> to program them in what we have now and they just wouldn't work
                >> correctly bogging down NoteTab terribly.
                >
                >I was talking about *improved* OTL support, not a new kind of OTL
                >with a tree-view structure. We all know of Eric's intention to
                >add the tree-view. And I wasn't referring to that.
                >
                >I believe the source of your confusion was the fact that Laurie
                >was telling us about her aspiration to have a tree-view display
                >in outlines. Tree-views, as you have indicated, will be available
                >in a future NoteTab 5. They are also planned for InSight.

                I was never confused. :-) In fact, I had only read gkluther's
                post and yours. He wrote:

                "I have been away for a long, long time and wanted to know what
                is happening on V5 with much improved OTL etc."

                I think it is your absence on the lists that got you confused
                with my reply about your statement mentioning that Eric never
                showed interest in improving the Outline feature.

                V5 is probably the "keyword" here.

                >The "improved OTL support" I was mentioning would have consisted
                >of essential but simple features like, for example, the ability
                >to select multiple topics in an outline. There's no big deal
                >about that. It doesn't require a special input control. Nor a
                >great deal of work.
                >
                >The fact that, after all these years, we still don't have them
                >can only be attributed to the author's lack of interest in the
                >subject.
                >
                >...Which I have to be thankful for, otherwise we wouldn't have InSight :)

                I wish you much success with it! :)

                Take care,
                Jody Adair

                and even thou doest err some! ;)