Boot CD - WAS - Re: [NTO] XP HOME will not open

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
      Thanks for the UBCD link!

      I just started compiling my own list of utilities yesterday that are a
      must have. I have been helping lots of friends with all sorts of
      problems lately, and juggling multiple CDs or having to download when
      their PC is working again is a pain.

      I see that there is a Windows only version in another project. I just
      found some new goodies on that list.

      I already new about F.I.R.E. and Knoppix, but was needing some specific
      utilities not on those CD's. Having information to get a bootable CD
      environment will be a big help. I ought to be all set now. ;-) Christmas
      already?

      Larry Hamilton
      lmh@...
      My Webpage
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      John Mitchell wrote:
      > HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
      > the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
      > create those recovery disks.
      >
      > Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site
      >
      > http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html
      >
      > with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
      > stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
      > etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.
      >
      > If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan
      >
      > http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
      >
      > Regards, John M
    • Paul M. King
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
        Larry:

        I wonder if you would be so kind as to send me the UBCD link. I seem to have lost the email which contained it. I, too, am helping a couple of friends recover from crashes, including reformatting, introducing partitioning to their HDs, etc.

        Tedious work without a set of good tools on a single CD. I have just spent an inordinate amount of time trying to boot one sick computer.

        I have been using Drive Image 7 on my HD which greatly simplifies recovery for me. I am urging my friends to buy it.

        Paul King

        At 04:40 PM 11/4/04, you wrote:

        >Thanks for the UBCD link!
        >
        >I just started compiling my own list of utilities yesterday that are a
        >must have. I have been helping lots of friends with all sorts of
        >problems lately, and juggling multiple CDs or having to download when
        >their PC is working again is a pain.
        >
        >I see that there is a Windows only version in another project. I just
        >found some new goodies on that list.
        >
        >I already new about F.I.R.E. and Knoppix, but was needing some specific
        >utilities not on those CD's. Having information to get a bootable CD
        >environment will be a big help. I ought to be all set now. ;-) Christmas
        >already?
        >
        >Larry Hamilton
        >lmh@...
        >My Webpage
        >http://members.tripod.com/~notlimah/index.htm
        >Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
        >
        >John Mitchell wrote:
        >> HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
        >> the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
        >> create those recovery disks.
        >>
        >> Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site
        >>
        >> http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html
        >>
        >> with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
        >> stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
        >> etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.
        >>
        >> If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan
        >>
        >> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
        >>
        >> Regards, John M
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
          Paul,

          Here is the UBCD link, which will work on Windows, but is Linux based
          and has a DOS "feel".

          http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

          Here is the link to the Windows UBCD:

          http://www.windowsubcd.com/

          This requires that you have Windows 2000 or Windows XP (Home or Pro) to
          build the CD. Otherwise you can just locate the different utilities. I
          learned that those with only a Restore CD have all they need already
          installed. I have not yet had time to try and build this CD.