Re: [NTO] XP HOME will not open

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
      HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
      the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
      create those recovery disks.

      Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site

      http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

      with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
      stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
      etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.

      If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan

      http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

      Regards, John M

      > Ed,
      >
      > It's possible your friends' computer has a marginal power supply or a
      > chip, possibly a CPU, overheating. Either can cause strange symptoms.
      >
      > hrs
      >
      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > click here
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12963vifq/M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1099632551/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
        Thanks for the UBCD link!

        I just started compiling my own list of utilities yesterday that are a
        must have. I have been helping lots of friends with all sorts of
        problems lately, and juggling multiple CDs or having to download when
        their PC is working again is a pain.

        I see that there is a Windows only version in another project. I just
        found some new goodies on that list.

        I already new about F.I.R.E. and Knoppix, but was needing some specific
        utilities not on those CD's. Having information to get a bootable CD
        environment will be a big help. I ought to be all set now. ;-) Christmas
        already?

        Larry Hamilton
        lmh@...
        My Webpage
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        John Mitchell wrote:
        > HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
        > the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
        > create those recovery disks.
        >
        > Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site
        >
        > http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html
        >
        > with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
        > stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
        > etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.
        >
        > If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan
        >
        > http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
        >
        > Regards, John M
      • Paul M. King
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
          Larry:

          I wonder if you would be so kind as to send me the UBCD link. I seem to have lost the email which contained it. I, too, am helping a couple of friends recover from crashes, including reformatting, introducing partitioning to their HDs, etc.

          Tedious work without a set of good tools on a single CD. I have just spent an inordinate amount of time trying to boot one sick computer.

          I have been using Drive Image 7 on my HD which greatly simplifies recovery for me. I am urging my friends to buy it.

          Paul King

          At 04:40 PM 11/4/04, you wrote:

          >Thanks for the UBCD link!
          >
          >I just started compiling my own list of utilities yesterday that are a
          >must have. I have been helping lots of friends with all sorts of
          >problems lately, and juggling multiple CDs or having to download when
          >their PC is working again is a pain.
          >
          >I see that there is a Windows only version in another project. I just
          >found some new goodies on that list.
          >
          >I already new about F.I.R.E. and Knoppix, but was needing some specific
          >utilities not on those CD's. Having information to get a bootable CD
          >environment will be a big help. I ought to be all set now. ;-) Christmas
          >already?
          >
          >Larry Hamilton
          >lmh@...
          >My Webpage
          >http://members.tripod.com/~notlimah/index.htm
          >Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
          >
          >John Mitchell wrote:
          >> HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
          >> the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
          >> create those recovery disks.
          >>
          >> Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site
          >>
          >> http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html
          >>
          >> with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
          >> stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
          >> etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.
          >>
          >> If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan
          >>
          >> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
          >>
          >> Regards, John M
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
            Paul,

            Here is the UBCD link, which will work on Windows, but is Linux based
            and has a DOS "feel".

            http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

            Here is the link to the Windows UBCD:

            http://www.windowsubcd.com/

            This requires that you have Windows 2000 or Windows XP (Home or Pro) to
            build the CD. Otherwise you can just locate the different utilities. I
            learned that those with only a Restore CD have all they need already
            installed. I have not yet had time to try and build this CD.