Re: [NTO] XP HOME will not open

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
      Ed Brown wrote:
      > Thanks very much for all who responded. Still do not know what was
      > wrong. He shut it down and let it stay off for about 30 min and when he
      > booted up it worked OK. The computer has been acting squirrelly for
      > about two weeks. It has been checked by 3 different antivirus programs,
      > scandisk and defragged still does some strange things once or twice each
      > day.
      > Ed

      Ed,

      It's possible your friends' computer has a marginal power supply or a
      chip, possibly a CPU, overheating. Either can cause strange symptoms.

      hrs
    • John Mitchell
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
        HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
        the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
        create those recovery disks.

        Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site

        http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

        with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
        stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
        etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.

        If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan

        http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

        Regards, John M

        > Ed,
        >
        > It's possible your friends' computer has a marginal power supply or a
        > chip, possibly a CPU, overheating. Either can cause strange symptoms.
        >
        > hrs
        >
        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > click here
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12963vifq/M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1099632551/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
          Thanks for the UBCD link!

          I just started compiling my own list of utilities yesterday that are a
          must have. I have been helping lots of friends with all sorts of
          problems lately, and juggling multiple CDs or having to download when
          their PC is working again is a pain.

          I see that there is a Windows only version in another project. I just
          found some new goodies on that list.

          I already new about F.I.R.E. and Knoppix, but was needing some specific
          utilities not on those CD's. Having information to get a bootable CD
          environment will be a big help. I ought to be all set now. ;-) Christmas
          already?

          Larry Hamilton
          lmh@...
          My Webpage
          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

          John Mitchell wrote:
          > HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
          > the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
          > create those recovery disks.
          >
          > Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site
          >
          > http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html
          >
          > with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
          > stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
          > etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.
          >
          > If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan
          >
          > http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
          >
          > Regards, John M
        • Paul M. King
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
            Larry:

            I wonder if you would be so kind as to send me the UBCD link. I seem to have lost the email which contained it. I, too, am helping a couple of friends recover from crashes, including reformatting, introducing partitioning to their HDs, etc.

            Tedious work without a set of good tools on a single CD. I have just spent an inordinate amount of time trying to boot one sick computer.

            I have been using Drive Image 7 on my HD which greatly simplifies recovery for me. I am urging my friends to buy it.

            Paul King

            At 04:40 PM 11/4/04, you wrote:

            >Thanks for the UBCD link!
            >
            >I just started compiling my own list of utilities yesterday that are a
            >must have. I have been helping lots of friends with all sorts of
            >problems lately, and juggling multiple CDs or having to download when
            >their PC is working again is a pain.
            >
            >I see that there is a Windows only version in another project. I just
            >found some new goodies on that list.
            >
            >I already new about F.I.R.E. and Knoppix, but was needing some specific
            >utilities not on those CD's. Having information to get a bootable CD
            >environment will be a big help. I ought to be all set now. ;-) Christmas
            >already?
            >
            >Larry Hamilton
            >lmh@...
            >My Webpage
            >http://members.tripod.com/~notlimah/index.htm
            >Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
            >
            >John Mitchell wrote:
            >> HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
            >> the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
            >> create those recovery disks.
            >>
            >> Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site
            >>
            >> http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html
            >>
            >> with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
            >> stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
            >> etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.
            >>
            >> If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan
            >>
            >> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
            >>
            >> Regards, John M
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
              Paul,

              Here is the UBCD link, which will work on Windows, but is Linux based
              and has a DOS "feel".

              http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

              Here is the link to the Windows UBCD:

              http://www.windowsubcd.com/

              This requires that you have Windows 2000 or Windows XP (Home or Pro) to
              build the CD. Otherwise you can just locate the different utilities. I
              learned that those with only a Restore CD have all they need already
              installed. I have not yet had time to try and build this CD.