Re: [NTO] XP HOME will not open

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
      Ed,

      A DOS startup disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk will only work if
      he is using the FAT file system and not the NTFS file system. If he is
      using NTFS, he will need a startup disk, or perhaps can get into safe
      mode as John suggested.

      Larry Hamilton
      lmh@...
      My Webpage
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      Ed Brown wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      > Little problem here, my friends XP Home Edition will not open. The XP
      > Opening screen comes up but nothing happens. Inserting a DOS disk and
      > trying to open it gives a WINDOWS not recognized. I do not believe that
      > a DOS disk will work. He is supposed to have an emergency XP start up
      > disk but so far he has not found it. Any ideas?
      > Ed
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
        Thanks very much for all who responded. Still do not know what was
        wrong. He shut it down and let it stay off for about 30 min and when he
        booted up it worked OK. The computer has been acting squirrelly for
        about two weeks. It has been checked by 3 different antivirus programs,
        scandisk and defragged still does some strange things once or twice each
        day.
        Ed

        Larry Hamilton wrote:
        > Ed,
        >
        > A DOS startup disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk will only work if
        > he is using the FAT file system and not the NTFS file system. If he is
        > using NTFS, he will need a startup disk, or perhaps can get into safe
        > mode as John suggested.
        >
        > Larry Hamilton
        > lmh@...
        > My Webpage
        > http://members.tripod.com/~notlimah/index.htm
        > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
        >
        > Ed Brown wrote:
        > > Hi everyone,
        > > Little problem here, my friends XP Home Edition will not open. The XP
        > > Opening screen comes up but nothing happens. Inserting a DOS disk and
        > > trying to open it gives a WINDOWS not recognized. I do not believe that
        > > a DOS disk will work. He is supposed to have an emergency XP start up
        > > disk but so far he has not found it. Any ideas?
        > > Ed
        >
        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129930bp3/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1099616573/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12inmelco/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099530173880145>
        >

        > Get unlimited calls to
        >
        > U.S./Canada
        >
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129930bp3/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1099616573/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12inmelco/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099530173880145>

        Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
        minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
        --Everett McKinley Dirksen
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
          Ed Brown wrote:
          > Thanks very much for all who responded. Still do not know what was
          > wrong. He shut it down and let it stay off for about 30 min and when he
          > booted up it worked OK. The computer has been acting squirrelly for
          > about two weeks. It has been checked by 3 different antivirus programs,
          > scandisk and defragged still does some strange things once or twice each
          > day.
          > Ed

          Ed,

          It's possible your friends' computer has a marginal power supply or a
          chip, possibly a CPU, overheating. Either can cause strange symptoms.

          hrs
        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
            HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
            the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
            create those recovery disks.

            Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site

            http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

            with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
            stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
            etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.

            If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan

            http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

            Regards, John M

            > Ed,
            >
            > It's possible your friends' computer has a marginal power supply or a
            > chip, possibly a CPU, overheating. Either can cause strange symptoms.
            >
            > hrs
            >
            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > click here
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12963vifq/M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1099632551/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
              Thanks for the UBCD link!

              I just started compiling my own list of utilities yesterday that are a
              must have. I have been helping lots of friends with all sorts of
              problems lately, and juggling multiple CDs or having to download when
              their PC is working again is a pain.

              I see that there is a Windows only version in another project. I just
              found some new goodies on that list.

              I already new about F.I.R.E. and Knoppix, but was needing some specific
              utilities not on those CD's. Having information to get a bootable CD
              environment will be a big help. I ought to be all set now. ;-) Christmas
              already?

              John Mitchell wrote:
              > HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
              > the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
              > create those recovery disks.
              >
              > Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site
              >
              > http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html
              >
              > with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
              > stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
              > etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.
              >
              > If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan
              >
              > http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
              >
              > Regards, John M
            • Paul M. King
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
                Larry:

                I wonder if you would be so kind as to send me the UBCD link. I seem to have lost the email which contained it. I, too, am helping a couple of friends recover from crashes, including reformatting, introducing partitioning to their HDs, etc.

                Tedious work without a set of good tools on a single CD. I have just spent an inordinate amount of time trying to boot one sick computer.

                I have been using Drive Image 7 on my HD which greatly simplifies recovery for me. I am urging my friends to buy it.

                Paul King

                At 04:40 PM 11/4/04, you wrote:

                >Thanks for the UBCD link!
                >
                >I just started compiling my own list of utilities yesterday that are a
                >must have. I have been helping lots of friends with all sorts of
                >problems lately, and juggling multiple CDs or having to download when
                >their PC is working again is a pain.
                >
                >I see that there is a Windows only version in another project. I just
                >found some new goodies on that list.
                >
                >I already new about F.I.R.E. and Knoppix, but was needing some specific
                >utilities not on those CD's. Having information to get a bootable CD
                >environment will be a big help. I ought to be all set now. ;-) Christmas
                >already?
                >
                >Larry Hamilton
                >lmh@...
                >My Webpage
                >http://members.tripod.com/~notlimah/index.htm
                >Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
                >
                >John Mitchell wrote:
                >> HRS makes a very good point. The problem could also be a hard drive on
                >> the verge of failure. Good time to take some judicious backups and
                >> create those recovery disks.
                >>
                >> Ed, your friend might like to check out the Ultimate Boot CD site
                >>
                >> http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html
                >>
                >> with a view to downloading and building a UBCD which can then be used,
                >> stand alone, to check the health of hard disks, file systems, memory,
                >> etc.. A very useful thing to have on the shelf.
                >>
                >> If overheating is suspected then another very neat utility is SpeedFan
                >>
                >> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
                >>
                >> Regards, John M
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
                  Paul,

                  Here is the UBCD link, which will work on Windows, but is Linux based
                  and has a DOS "feel".

                  http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

                  Here is the link to the Windows UBCD:

                  http://www.windowsubcd.com/

                  This requires that you have Windows 2000 or Windows XP (Home or Pro) to
                  build the CD. Otherwise you can just locate the different utilities. I
                  learned that those with only a Restore CD have all they need already
                  installed. I have not yet had time to try and build this CD.