Re: [NTO] Malware?

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 21, 2004
      Martin Webster wrote:

      > Ed Brown [EB], wrote:
      >
      >> See my reply to Jason. Have already done everything and my cache is
      >> empty.
      >
      > Did you run Disk Cleanup?
      >
      > I still think it's unlikely you have some rogue application filling up
      > your drive...
      >
      > So a couple more ideas... run chkdsk and defrag your hard drive. Also,
      > like you I don't use System Restore. However, if you did use it once
      > you may find the service hasn't freed up disk space even though it's
      > turned off (I'm guessing here.)

      Martin, Ed,

      I can vouch that System Restore does delete the files in that folder
      when disabled, I've done it several times, and, since it is no longer
      active it shouldn't be restricting use of any space allocated for System
      Restore use.

      hrs
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 21, 2004
        Thanks for you suggestions as you can see below I am using them.
        Ed

        Martin Webster wrote:

        > Did you run Disk Cleanup? I know you said you found a large file in
        > your temp folder but it's well worth using a cleanup utility to track
        > down unwanted files etc.
        Yep did that one too.

        > I still think it's unlikely you have some rogue application filling up
        > your drive... I think it's more likely that Windows is complaining
        > because it doesn't have enough space. Since the problem isn't being
        > rectified properly it continues to alert you.
        Me too, I think somehow I must have did a back up of several large
        programs and put them in the temp file and never transferred them to the
        other disk. After I dumped it every things seems normal for now.

        > So a couple more ideas... run chkdsk and defrag your hard drive. Also,
        I did those also.
        > like you I don't use System Restore. However, if you did use it once
        > you may find the service hasn't freed up disk space even though it's
        > turned off (I'm guessing here.)
        Very good possiblity for the time I did use it I turned it to the
        minimum disk space that it would use.

        You could try re-enabling it, reducing
        > the space utilised to minimum, and then turn it off again. Finally,
        > have a look to see if there are lots of chk files or if you have some
        > applications that generate log or tmp files.

        OK I will re-enable and make sure it is still at the minimum and will
        check the chk files and I dumped all the temp files.

        > --
        > .\\artin | ICQ 15893823
        >
        > "Change is certain. Progress is not." E H CARR
        >

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > click here
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296gqo7l/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1098464165/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 21, 2004
          Thanks, will make sure although I know you are correct.
          Ed