Re: [NTO] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 12 7:07 PM
      Hi Alan,

      Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
      returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
      the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
      day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
      Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
      not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
      there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
      results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
      to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
      and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
      Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
      when you send the results in case the information is some I
      haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

      This has a little bit more than just the Notepad results, plus
      also searches hidden folders (well, I temporarily unhide them
      because the ^!SetFileAttri is broke in at least XP SP2. It's safe
      to run. ;)

      This just finds where notepad.* is on your Windows install drive
      and gets a couple of registry entries.
      http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

      >I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
      >that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
      >command line.
      >
      >http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version
      >
      >http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
      >
      >At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
      >reports that
      >
      >winver
      >
      >entered at command line) returns version info.

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12 8:44 PM
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi Alan,
        >
        > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
        > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
        > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
        > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
        > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
        > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
        > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
        > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
        > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
        > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
        > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
        > when you send the results in case the information is some I
        > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

        12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
        1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        1423 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        16016 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2F2D61E1.pf
        19456 = C:\Program Files\Messenger\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
        19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
        19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
        19456 = C:\Program Files\Online Services\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
        23110 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chw
        25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
        411 = C:\Perl\eg\Windows Script Host\notepad.wsf
        438 = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Helpers\Jump To HTML
        Editor\Notepad.lnk
        438 = C:\Program Files\VCOM\PowerDesk\Ed\Favorites\Favorite
        Programs\Notepad.lnk
        66048 = C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
        66048 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
        69120 =
        C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989\notepad.exe

        Total Files: 17

        Original FileAttr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS
        Changed Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\ to: DRS
        Current Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS

        Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab:
        2600.xpsp2.030422-1633
        Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
        Microsoft Windows XP
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12 8:46 PM
          I did not send but the OS is XP Pro so I will resend all.
          Ed

          Jody wrote:

          > Hi Alan,
          >
          > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
          > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
          > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
          > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
          > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
          > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
          > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
          > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
          > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
          > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
          > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
          > when you send the results in case the information is some I
          > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

        • acummingsus
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12 10:21 PM
            H=Find notepad.* (GetHidden)...
            (also sent to addr enclosed inside the clip)

            But, here's the same info once again in case anyone else is interested.

            Win 2k SP4
            There is no CurrentVersion:BuildLab key

            D:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start
            Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 7/6/2003 7:48:23 PM
            D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Recent\notepad.lnk 1 KB 7/17/2004
            3:17:45 PM
            D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Start
            Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 8/9/2003 8:25:46 PM
            D:\WINNT\NOTEPAD.EXE 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
            D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.chm 25 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
            D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.hlp 13 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
            D:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
            D:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM

            Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
            Microsoft Windows 2000

            287 KB total file size exported the entire currentversion. What I cut
            off and did not enclose herein appeared to be totally out of the ball
            park anyways. (Instead of BuildLab) it looks like perhaps
            CurrentBuildNumber is the nearest equivalent. Snip that was exported
            from reg editor enclosed next:
            Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
            "CurrentBuild"="1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)"
            "InstallDate"=dword:3f087b81
            "ProductName"="Microsoft Windows 2000"
            "RegDone"=""
            "RegisteredOrganization"=""
            "RegisteredOwner"="fb11_s"
            "SoftwareType"="SYSTEM"
            "CurrentVersion"="5.0"
            "CurrentBuildNumber"="2195"
            "CurrentType"="Uniprocessor Free"
            "SystemRoot"="D:\\WINNT"
            "SourcePath"="\\\\P2BS104-snipped\\050902\\WIN2KCAB\\I386"
            "PathName"="D:\\WINNT"
            "ProductId"="
            "DigitalProductId"=hex:a4,
            winver output:
            Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

            -- Alan C.

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
            > Hi Alan,
            [ . . ]