Re: [NTO] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?

  • acummingsus
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 12 12:18 PM

      I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
      that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
      command line.

      http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version

      http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

      At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
      reports that

      winver

      entered at command line) returns version info.

      Dunno if this of any help or not. I just ran across it just now.

      Later.

      --
      Alan C.
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12 7:07 PM
        Hi Alan,

        Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
        returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
        the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
        day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
        Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
        not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
        there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
        results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
        to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
        and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
        Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
        when you send the results in case the information is some I
        haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

        This has a little bit more than just the Notepad results, plus
        also searches hidden folders (well, I temporarily unhide them
        because the ^!SetFileAttri is broke in at least XP SP2. It's safe
        to run. ;)

        This just finds where notepad.* is on your Windows install drive
        and gets a couple of registry entries.
        http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

        >I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
        >that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
        >command line.
        >
        >http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version
        >
        >http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
        >
        >At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
        >reports that
        >
        >winver
        >
        >entered at command line) returns version info.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12 8:44 PM
          Jody wrote:
          > Hi Alan,
          >
          > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
          > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
          > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
          > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
          > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
          > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
          > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
          > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
          > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
          > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
          > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
          > when you send the results in case the information is some I
          > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

          12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
          1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Start
          Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
          1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start
          Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
          1423 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
          Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
          16016 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2F2D61E1.pf
          19456 = C:\Program Files\Messenger\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
          19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
          19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
          19456 = C:\Program Files\Online Services\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
          23110 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chw
          25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
          411 = C:\Perl\eg\Windows Script Host\notepad.wsf
          438 = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Helpers\Jump To HTML
          Editor\Notepad.lnk
          438 = C:\Program Files\VCOM\PowerDesk\Ed\Favorites\Favorite
          Programs\Notepad.lnk
          66048 = C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
          66048 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
          69120 =
          C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989\notepad.exe

          Total Files: 17

          Original FileAttr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS
          Changed Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\ to: DRS
          Current Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS

          Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab:
          2600.xpsp2.030422-1633
          Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
          Microsoft Windows XP
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12 8:46 PM
            I did not send but the OS is XP Pro so I will resend all.
            Ed

            Jody wrote:

            > Hi Alan,
            >
            > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
            > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
            > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
            > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
            > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
            > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
            > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
            > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
            > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
            > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
            > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
            > when you send the results in case the information is some I
            > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

          • acummingsus
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12 10:21 PM
              H=Find notepad.* (GetHidden)...
              (also sent to addr enclosed inside the clip)

              But, here's the same info once again in case anyone else is interested.

              Win 2k SP4
              There is no CurrentVersion:BuildLab key

              D:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start
              Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 7/6/2003 7:48:23 PM
              D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Recent\notepad.lnk 1 KB 7/17/2004
              3:17:45 PM
              D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Start
              Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 8/9/2003 8:25:46 PM
              D:\WINNT\NOTEPAD.EXE 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
              D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.chm 25 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
              D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.hlp 13 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
              D:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
              D:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM

              Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
              Microsoft Windows 2000

              287 KB total file size exported the entire currentversion. What I cut
              off and did not enclose herein appeared to be totally out of the ball
              park anyways. (Instead of BuildLab) it looks like perhaps
              CurrentBuildNumber is the nearest equivalent. Snip that was exported
              from reg editor enclosed next:
              Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
              "CurrentBuild"="1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)"
              "InstallDate"=dword:3f087b81
              "ProductName"="Microsoft Windows 2000"
              "RegDone"=""
              "RegisteredOrganization"=""
              "RegisteredOwner"="fb11_s"
              "SoftwareType"="SYSTEM"
              "CurrentVersion"="5.0"
              "CurrentBuildNumber"="2195"
              "CurrentType"="Uniprocessor Free"
              "SystemRoot"="D:\\WINNT"
              "SourcePath"="\\\\P2BS104-snipped\\050902\\WIN2KCAB\\I386"
              "PathName"="D:\\WINNT"
              "ProductId"="
              "DigitalProductId"=hex:a4,
              winver output:
              Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

              -- Alan C.

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
              > Hi Alan,
              [ . . ]