Re: [NTO] Backup and or Mirroring the hard drive

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
      Ed

      There are lots of good backup solutions available. Here are three I can
      personally recommend.

      1. BootitNG - http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
      2. Second Copy 2000 - http://www.centered.com/
      3. Total Commander - http://www.ghisler.com/

      BootitNG is ideal for backing up entire disk partitions. It can create
      exact copies and/or compressed images. The target can be CD, DVD, or
      another disk drive. I use it regularly to take snapshots of my system.
      As its name suggests, BootitNG is also a boot manager and it allows you
      to easily partition physical disks, create, delete, resize, and move
      logical partitions. A companion (free) utility allows you to retrieve
      individual files from full disk images.

      Second Copy 2000 is essentially a backup scheduler. You initially (once
      off) define what files, directories, whole structures you want backed up
      and when you want the backups to occur, and then forget about it. It
      supports all sorts of copy modes - simple copy, compressed copy,
      directory synchronisation - and has powerful include/exclude filtering
      capability. I use it to keep vital data synchronised / backed up between
      desktop and laptop.

      Total Commander is a comprehensive File Manager with lots of powerful
      built-in utilities including a directory synchronisation command. It is
      most useful for ad-hoc backups where you want to visually compare two
      structures and then decide what to do.

      As you can see, all three offer different but complementary solutions.
      They are all Shareware. BootitNG is $35, Second Copy is $30, and Total
      Commander is $32 to register. Cheap at the price in all cases!

      Regards, John M