Backup and or Mirroring the hard drive

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
      Hi everyone,
      I am looking for the most inexpensive way to mirror a hard drive. I have
      looked at the Replicator and it is too expensive for me. I would prefer
      mirroring rather than have to settle for a plain Jane backup but that
      may be my next option: so how is the fastest way to do a backup.

      I have too much data and apps to backup to CDs, Rewritable CDs or even I
      have too much data and apps to backup to CD's or Rewritable CDs or DVDs.

      While searching Google I found the same question asked and the answer
      was given--"Go to Google and do an extensive search" so Googling is not
      always the best way to find information as good as Google is and it
      takes a lot of time.

      OK, I have been Googling but I really need the answer from someone who
      has been there and done that.

      I have read enough to know backing up a hard drive using any method is
      not as easy it would seem. I do NOT want to use a tape back up but if it
      is the most inexpensive option it might be considered. I prefer to back
      up or mirror to an external hard disk of a size large enough to match
      the hard drive being backed up.

      Can I assume that mirroring and backing up are basically the same thing
      but that mirroring is an exact copy of the hard drive while most other
      backups are selective and usually back up data only. For now let's
      consider all malware if any was successful removed before mirroring or
      backing up
      Ed
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
        Ed Brown wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        > I am looking for the most inexpensive way to mirror a hard drive. I have
        > looked at the Replicator and it is too expensive for me. I would prefer
        > mirroring rather than have to settle for a plain Jane backup but that
        > may be my next option: so how is the fastest way to do a backup.
        > Ed

        Ed,

        Have you tried, or heard of SyncBack - http://2brightsparks.com/ -. All
        that's available so far is a freeware, donation ware, version. A Pro
        version is on the way.

        I use it to backup some files to a hard drive and also to CD. I've
        tried several programs and this works best for me. I have not tried to
        backup a complete hard drive with it, don't really know if that's one of
        the features.

        Backing to a hard drive is quick and it can be set to automatically
        delete files on the destination if they no longer exist on the source.

        hrs
      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
          > I have too much data and apps to backup to CDs, Rewritable CDs or even I
          > have too much data and apps to backup to CD's or Rewritable CDs or DVDs.

          This sounds all too familiar! :) I'm in the same boat.

          > Can I assume that mirroring and backing up are basically the same thing
          > but that mirroring is an exact copy of the hard drive while most other
          > backups are selective and usually back up data only. For now let's
          > consider all malware if any was successful removed before mirroring or
          > backing up
          > Ed

          It all depends on how the application performs the backup. Mirroring
          just makes exact copies of your folders and files exactly as they
          appear on the source drive. I'll not get into specifics on that.
          It's a fast description.

          If I were you, I'd check out 2 apps that I use all the time for this purpose.

          [1] The free route...http://www.snapfiles.com/get/SyncBack.html

          Syncback will sync drives, folders, files, etc. however you want it
          to. It's great for even backing up via FTP. I have customers that
          use this to back up certain program folders to servers for tape backup
          and they love it. Give this a shot for a quick backup of whatever
          folders you want. Scheduling can also be done with ease.

          [2] The pay-for route...http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mirrorfolder.html

          MirrorFolder is one I purchased and I love. You can set things up for
          auto-sync at certain times, locations, etc. You could, for instance,
          have MF detect when you plug in a USB drive and when it sees that
          happen, mirrors all your data immediately from one to the next, based
          on how you want it done. It's really fast, as is SyncBack. MF is a
          RAID1 configuration for your PC without the hardware. It's software
          mirroring and it really works great on all Windows platforms. I love
          it, and use both programs religiously.

          I would give both of them a test drive if I were you. Then see which
          one best suits your needs.

          Brian Binder
          ----------------
          4 Gmail invites to be given away to the first 4 people who ask for
          them. If anyone is interested in them, email brian.binder@...

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
            Ed

            There are lots of good backup solutions available. Here are three I can
            personally recommend.

            1. BootitNG - http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
            2. Second Copy 2000 - http://www.centered.com/
            3. Total Commander - http://www.ghisler.com/

            BootitNG is ideal for backing up entire disk partitions. It can create
            exact copies and/or compressed images. The target can be CD, DVD, or
            another disk drive. I use it regularly to take snapshots of my system.
            As its name suggests, BootitNG is also a boot manager and it allows you
            to easily partition physical disks, create, delete, resize, and move
            logical partitions. A companion (free) utility allows you to retrieve
            individual files from full disk images.

            Second Copy 2000 is essentially a backup scheduler. You initially (once
            off) define what files, directories, whole structures you want backed up
            and when you want the backups to occur, and then forget about it. It
            supports all sorts of copy modes - simple copy, compressed copy,
            directory synchronisation - and has powerful include/exclude filtering
            capability. I use it to keep vital data synchronised / backed up between
            desktop and laptop.

            Total Commander is a comprehensive File Manager with lots of powerful
            built-in utilities including a directory synchronisation command. It is
            most useful for ad-hoc backups where you want to visually compare two
            structures and then decide what to do.

            As you can see, all three offer different but complementary solutions.
            They are all Shareware. BootitNG is $35, Second Copy is $30, and Total
            Commander is $32 to register. Cheap at the price in all cases!

            Regards, John M

[...]

            [1]click here

            * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the [4]Yahoo! Terms
            of Service.