Re: [NTO] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hi Ed,

      >We are unable to deliver the message from <ebrown1927@...>
      >to <ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com>.

      Thanks Ed! Just ignore those. Get with me if they continue.

      Thanks all for sending the stats back. I'm sick now, but will so what I can.

      All Fookes Software mailing lists:
      http://www.fookes.us/
      http://www.notetab.net/ http://www.clean-funnies.com/
    • acummingsus
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004

        I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
        that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
        command line.

        http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version

        http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

        At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
        reports that

        winver

        entered at command line) returns version info.

        Dunno if this of any help or not. I just ran across it just now.

        Later.

        --
        Alan C.
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
          Hi Alan,

          Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
          returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
          the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
          day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
          Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
          not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
          there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
          results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
          to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
          and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
          Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
          when you send the results in case the information is some I
          haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

          This has a little bit more than just the Notepad results, plus
          also searches hidden folders (well, I temporarily unhide them
          because the ^!SetFileAttri is broke in at least XP SP2. It's safe
          to run. ;)

          This just finds where notepad.* is on your Windows install drive
          and gets a couple of registry entries.
          http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

          >I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
          >that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
          >command line.
          >
          >http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version
          >
          >http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
          >
          >At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
          >reports that
          >
          >winver
          >
          >entered at command line) returns version info.

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
            Jody wrote:
            > Hi Alan,
            >
            > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
            > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
            > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
            > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
            > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
            > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
            > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
            > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
            > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
            > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
            > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
            > when you send the results in case the information is some I
            > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

            12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
            1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Start
            Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
            1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start
            Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
            1423 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
            Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
            16016 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2F2D61E1.pf
            19456 = C:\Program Files\Messenger\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
            19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
            19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
            19456 = C:\Program Files\Online Services\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
            23110 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chw
            25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
            411 = C:\Perl\eg\Windows Script Host\notepad.wsf
            438 = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Helpers\Jump To HTML
            Editor\Notepad.lnk
            438 = C:\Program Files\VCOM\PowerDesk\Ed\Favorites\Favorite
            Programs\Notepad.lnk
            66048 = C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
            66048 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
            69120 =
            C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989\notepad.exe

            Total Files: 17

            Original FileAttr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS
            Changed Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\ to: DRS
            Current Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS

            Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab:
            2600.xpsp2.030422-1633
            Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
            Microsoft Windows XP
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
              I did not send but the OS is XP Pro so I will resend all.
              Ed

              Jody wrote:

              > Hi Alan,
              >
              > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
              > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
              > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
              > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
              > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
              > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
              > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
              > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
              > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
              > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
              > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
              > when you send the results in case the information is some I
              > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

            • acummingsus
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                H=Find notepad.* (GetHidden)...
                (also sent to addr enclosed inside the clip)

                But, here's the same info once again in case anyone else is interested.

                Win 2k SP4
                There is no CurrentVersion:BuildLab key

                D:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start
                Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 7/6/2003 7:48:23 PM
                D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Recent\notepad.lnk 1 KB 7/17/2004
                3:17:45 PM
                D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Start
                Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 8/9/2003 8:25:46 PM
                D:\WINNT\NOTEPAD.EXE 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.chm 25 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.hlp 13 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                D:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                D:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM

                Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
                Microsoft Windows 2000

                287 KB total file size exported the entire currentversion. What I cut
                off and did not enclose herein appeared to be totally out of the ball
                park anyways. (Instead of BuildLab) it looks like perhaps
                CurrentBuildNumber is the nearest equivalent. Snip that was exported
                from reg editor enclosed next:
                Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

                [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
                "CurrentBuild"="1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)"
                "InstallDate"=dword:3f087b81
                "ProductName"="Microsoft Windows 2000"
                "RegDone"=""
                "RegisteredOrganization"=""
                "RegisteredOwner"="fb11_s"
                "SoftwareType"="SYSTEM"
                "CurrentVersion"="5.0"
                "CurrentBuildNumber"="2195"
                "CurrentType"="Uniprocessor Free"
                "SystemRoot"="D:\\WINNT"
                "SourcePath"="\\\\P2BS104-snipped\\050902\\WIN2KCAB\\I386"
                "PathName"="D:\\WINNT"
                "ProductId"="
                "DigitalProductId"=hex:a4,
                winver output:
                Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

                -- Alan C.

                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                > Hi Alan,
                [ . . ]