Title grabbers and more (was: [Clip] Launch a File in Excel)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2004
      Ray: (I've moved this to off-topic)

      > Alec, the Toolz site has the aura of evil about it. Are
      > you reasonably sure the contents are benign?

      Yes, I noticed that when I went back to verify that it still existed (any
      time I see a geocities URL I usually consider it subject to evaporation
      without notice :-)

      I've had and used API Spy for about 12 months now. It was originally
      recommended to me my one of the PCMagazine programmers and I've occasionally
      used it when beta testing various programs.

      API Spy+++ http://www.geocities.com/prototype_terrizer/VBToolz.htm

      I wouldn't be the least surprised to discover that its author is active in
      hacking/cracking software (and for all I know constructing viruses etc.) but
      as the NRA says, guns don't kill people, people do.

      I just had a look at some of the other offerings on that site - definitely
      programs / tools for someone interested in "how things work". I'd exercise
      due diligence and run any executables through a virus-checker just in case
      though.

      Another program that allows you to capture (and modify) titles (and also
      experiment with setting all sorts of other parameters) is:
      WinExplorer v1.30 http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/winexp.html Looking at some
      of the other free utilities on offer these may also be (euphemistically)
      "dual purpose" but at least it avoids profanity :-)

      I leave it up to you whether you want to try either of these put I'm pretty
      sure your computer won't go up in flames as a result.

      Regards ... Alec