Re: [NTO] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
      Jody,

      HTH -

      1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start
      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
      1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\David\Start
      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
      1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Jill\Start
      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
      197 = C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence\Favorites\Yahoo!\Information
      Management\Notepad.url
      1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence\Start
      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
      1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start
      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
      1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Zach\Start
      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
      411 = C:\Perl\eg\Windows Script Host\notepad.wsf
      20480 = C:\Program Files\Crimson Editor\notepad.exe
      25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
      12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
      17832 = C:\WINDOWS\I386\NOTEPAD.CH_
      31944 = C:\WINDOWS\I386\NOTEPAD.EX_
      2224 = C:\WINDOWS\I386\NOTEPAD.HL_
      69120 = C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe
      69120 = C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\notepad.exe
      197 =
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Favorites\Yahoo!\Information
      Management\Notepad.url
      1519 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
      69120 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe

      Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        >We are unable to deliver the message from <ebrown1927@...>
        >to <ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com>.

        Thanks Ed! Just ignore those. Get with me if they continue.

        Thanks all for sending the stats back. I'm sick now, but will so what I can.

        All Fookes Software mailing lists:
        http://www.fookes.us/
        http://www.notetab.net/ http://www.clean-funnies.com/
      • Rosemary Culley
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2004
          To: ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [NRN] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?

          <--- Copy above this line --->
          <--- Right click over a Library --->
          <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->
          Thanks much!

          Also found this when I went back to Notetab, in a file I had open:
          H=Find notepad.*...
          funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
          %Files%=2384 = C:\disk\Lotus\organize\layouts\notepad.rep ^!Append
          ^!Goto Loop

          Jody

          from Dos
          is what I got, but then I am very much a learner. However, did a dir /s
          from the dos prompt and got 4 entries:
          C:\windows\notepad.exe 69120 04/08/04
          c:\windows\#NtServicePackUninstall$\notepad.exe 19456 04/08/02
          c:\windows\servicepackfiles\notepad.exe 69120 04/08/04
          c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe 69120 04/08/04

          Hope this helps

          c:\In message <4.3.2.7.2.20041004164217.02626e50@...>,
          Jody <kjv-av1611@...> writes

          --
          Rosemary Culley
          Wisdom is the art of knowing what to overlook.
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2004
            Hello Jody,

            Of course, I would like to help. Here is the result of running the
            clip that you made, on my machine. Below is exactly what was on my
            Clipboard after I ran it. -

            To: ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com

            1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Kath\Start
            Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
            1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Nigel\Start
            Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
            17832 = C:\I386\NOTEPAD.CH_
            31944 = C:\I386\NOTEPAD.EX_
            2224 = C:\I386\NOTEPAD.HL_
            2384 = C:\lotus\organize\layouts\notepad.rep
            19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
            25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
            12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
            13320 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2DAE2DE6.pf
            5968 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2F2D61E1.pf
            1519 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
            Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
            19456 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
            69120 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS
            69120 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS.BAK
            67 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.INI
            67 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.INI.MS

            Thanks much!

            Nigel

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I did not get a whole lot of response on the ntb-NextRelease
            > list, so perhaps some of you can give this a run for me. TIA
            >
            > I have a Clip now to Replace MS Notepad on my XP SP2 and another
            > to Restore MS Notepad. Could some of you run the following Clip
            > that has SP2 installed please. I need a few that has messed with
            > NoteTab's Replace/Restore MS Notepad and some that have. Perhaps
            > a couple that had it replaced before they installed SP2 without
            > doing the Restore. I need to see where notepad.* is on your
            > machines. The following Clip will tell me that, or should. <g>
            >
            > Type in the drive letter that you have Windows installed on. It
            > should come right back, select the file list, copy to the
            > Clipboard and open/focus your mail client if you choose, Yes.
            > Please reply to this thread.
            >
            > <--- Copy below this line --->
            > H=Find notepad.*...
            > ; eMailed on 10-04-2004, ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com, Jody
            > ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
            >
            > ^!ClearVariable %Files%
            > ^!SetWizardLabel Enter Windows Installation Drive Letter
            > ^!Set %Dir%=^?{(T=D)==C:\}
            > ^!SetHintInfo Getting Directory Information...
            > ^!SetArray %FileList%=^$GetFiles("+^%Dir%";notepad.*)$
            > ^!Set %Count%=^%FileList0%
            > ^!Set %Index%=0; %FileCount%=0
            >
            > :Loop
            > ^!Inc %Index%
            > ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% Finish
            > ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileSize(^%FileList^%Index%%)$ = ^%FileList^%
            > ^!Append %Files%=^$GetPath("^%FileName%")$^$GetFileName("^%
            FileName%")$^%nl%
            > ^!Goto Loop
            >
            > :Finish
            > ^!Toolbar New Document
            > ^!Insert To: ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com^p
            > ^!Insert Subject: Re: [NRN] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?^p^p
            > ^!Set %SelectTo%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
            > ^!Insert ^%Files%^pThanks much!^pJody^p
            > ^!Jump -3
            > ^!SelectTo ^%SelectTo%
            > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
            > ^!Continue Data is on Clipboard. Please reply to Re: [NRN] Where's
            Notepad on XP SP2?
            > ^!mailto:
            >
            > <--- Copy above this line --->
            > <--- Right click over a Library --->
            > <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Jody
            > ...he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast...
            > http://www.clean-funnies.com
            > See ya in the funnies!
            > http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
            > http://www.sojourner.us/software
            > notetab.net, fookes.us

          • acummingsus
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004

              I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
              that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
              command line.

              http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version

              http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

              At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
              reports that

              winver

              entered at command line) returns version info.

              Dunno if this of any help or not. I just ran across it just now.

              Later.

              --
              Alan C.
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                Hi Alan,

                Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
                returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
                the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
                day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
                Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
                not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
                there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
                results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
                to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
                and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
                Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
                when you send the results in case the information is some I
                haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

                This has a little bit more than just the Notepad results, plus
                also searches hidden folders (well, I temporarily unhide them
                because the ^!SetFileAttri is broke in at least XP SP2. It's safe
                to run. ;)

                This just finds where notepad.* is on your Windows install drive
                and gets a couple of registry entries.
                http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

                >I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
                >that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
                >command line.
                >
                >http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version
                >
                >http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
                >
                >At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
                >reports that
                >
                >winver
                >
                >entered at command line) returns version info.

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                  Jody wrote:
                  > Hi Alan,
                  >
                  > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
                  > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
                  > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
                  > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
                  > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
                  > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
                  > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
                  > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
                  > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
                  > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
                  > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
                  > when you send the results in case the information is some I
                  > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

                  12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
                  1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Start
                  Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
                  1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start
                  Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
                  1423 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
                  Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
                  16016 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2F2D61E1.pf
                  19456 = C:\Program Files\Messenger\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
                  19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
                  19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
                  19456 = C:\Program Files\Online Services\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
                  23110 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chw
                  25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
                  411 = C:\Perl\eg\Windows Script Host\notepad.wsf
                  438 = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Helpers\Jump To HTML
                  Editor\Notepad.lnk
                  438 = C:\Program Files\VCOM\PowerDesk\Ed\Favorites\Favorite
                  Programs\Notepad.lnk
                  66048 = C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
                  66048 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
                  69120 =
                  C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989\notepad.exe

                  Total Files: 17

                  Original FileAttr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS
                  Changed Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\ to: DRS
                  Current Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS

                  Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab:
                  2600.xpsp2.030422-1633
                  Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
                  Microsoft Windows XP
                • Ed Brown
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                    I did not send but the OS is XP Pro so I will resend all.
                    Ed

                    Jody wrote:

                    > Hi Alan,
                    >
                    > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
                    > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
                    > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
                    > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
                    > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
                    > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
                    > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
                    > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
                    > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
                    > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
                    > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
                    > when you send the results in case the information is some I
                    > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

                  • acummingsus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                      H=Find notepad.* (GetHidden)...
                      (also sent to addr enclosed inside the clip)

                      But, here's the same info once again in case anyone else is interested.

                      Win 2k SP4
                      There is no CurrentVersion:BuildLab key

                      D:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start
                      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 7/6/2003 7:48:23 PM
                      D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Recent\notepad.lnk 1 KB 7/17/2004
                      3:17:45 PM
                      D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Start
                      Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 8/9/2003 8:25:46 PM
                      D:\WINNT\NOTEPAD.EXE 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                      D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.chm 25 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                      D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.hlp 13 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                      D:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                      D:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM

                      Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
                      Microsoft Windows 2000

                      287 KB total file size exported the entire currentversion. What I cut
                      off and did not enclose herein appeared to be totally out of the ball
                      park anyways. (Instead of BuildLab) it looks like perhaps
                      CurrentBuildNumber is the nearest equivalent. Snip that was exported
                      from reg editor enclosed next:
                      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

                      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
                      "CurrentBuild"="1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)"
                      "InstallDate"=dword:3f087b81
                      "ProductName"="Microsoft Windows 2000"
                      "RegDone"=""
                      "RegisteredOrganization"=""
                      "RegisteredOwner"="fb11_s"
                      "SoftwareType"="SYSTEM"
                      "CurrentVersion"="5.0"
                      "CurrentBuildNumber"="2195"
                      "CurrentType"="Uniprocessor Free"
                      "SystemRoot"="D:\\WINNT"
                      "SourcePath"="\\\\P2BS104-snipped\\050902\\WIN2KCAB\\I386"
                      "PathName"="D:\\WINNT"
                      "ProductId"="
                      "DigitalProductId"=hex:a4,
                      winver output:
                      Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

                      -- Alan C.

                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                      > Hi Alan,
                      [ . . ]