Re: [NTO] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
      We are unable to deliver the message from <ebrown1927@...>
      to <ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com>.

      The email address used to send your message is not subscribed to this
      group. If you are a member of this group, please be aware that you may
      only send messages to this group using the email address(es) you have
      registered with Yahoo! Groups. Yahoo! Groups allows you to send messages
      using the email address you originally used to register, or an alternate
      email address you specify in your personal settings.

      If you would like to subscribe to this group:
      1. visit
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-NextRelease/join
      -OR-
      2. send email to ntb-NextRelease-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      If you would like to specify an alternate email address:
      1. visit
      http://groups.yahoo.com/myprefs?edit=2
      2. type your alternate email address in the area labeled "Alternate
      posting addresses".
      3. click the "Save Changes" button
      4. wait approximately 10 minutes for the change to take effect

      After you follow these steps, you will be able to send messages
      to all your groups using this alternate email address.

      For further assistance, please visit http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/

      Jody wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I did not get a whole lot of response on the ntb-NextRelease
      > list, so perhaps some of you can give this a run for me. TIA
      >
      > I have a Clip now to Replace MS Notepad on my XP SP2 and another
      > to Restore MS Notepad. Could some of you run the following Clip
      > that has SP2 installed please. I need a few that has messed with
      > NoteTab's Replace/Restore MS Notepad and some that have. Perhaps
      > a couple that had it replaced before they installed SP2 without
      > doing the Restore. I need to see where notepad.* is on your
      > machines. The following Clip will tell me that, or should. <g>
      >
      > Type in the drive letter that you have Windows installed on. It
      > should come right back, select the file list, copy to the
      > Clipboard and open/focus your mail client if you choose, Yes.
      > Please reply to this thread.
      >
      > <--- Copy below this line --->
      > H=Find notepad.*...
      > ; eMailed on 10-04-2004, ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com, Jody
      > ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
      >
      > ^!ClearVariable %Files%
      > ^!SetWizardLabel Enter Windows Installation Drive Letter
      > ^!Set %Dir%=^?{(T=D)==C:\}
      > ^!SetHintInfo Getting Directory Information...
      > ^!SetArray %FileList%=^$GetFiles("+^%Dir%";notepad.*)$
      > ^!Set %Count%=^%FileList0%
      > ^!Set %Index%=0; %FileCount%=0
      >
      > :Loop
      > ^!Inc %Index%
      > ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% Finish
      > ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileSize(^%FileList^%Index%%)$ = ^%FileList^%Index%%
      > ^!Append %Files%=^$GetPath("^%FileName%")$^$GetFileName("^%FileName%")$^%nl%
      > ^!Goto Loop
      >
      > :Finish
      > ^!Toolbar New Document
      > ^!Insert To: ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com^p
      > ^!Insert Subject: Re: [NRN] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?^p^p
      > ^!Set %SelectTo%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      > ^!Insert ^%Files%^pThanks much!^pJody^p
      > ^!Jump -3
      > ^!SelectTo ^%SelectTo%
      > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
      > ^!Continue Data is on Clipboard. Please reply to Re: [NRN] Where's
      > Notepad on XP SP2?
      > ^!mailto:
      >
      > <--- Copy above this line --->
      > <--- Right click over a Library --->
      > <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Jody
      > ...he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast...
      > http://www.clean-funnies.com
      > See ya in the funnies!
      > http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
      > http://www.sojourner.us/software
      > notetab.net, fookes.us

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > click here
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dqb7en/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1097017001/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
        Jody,

        HTH -

        1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\David\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Jill\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        197 = C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence\Favorites\Yahoo!\Information
        Management\Notepad.url
        1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Zach\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        411 = C:\Perl\eg\Windows Script Host\notepad.wsf
        20480 = C:\Program Files\Crimson Editor\notepad.exe
        25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
        12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
        17832 = C:\WINDOWS\I386\NOTEPAD.CH_
        31944 = C:\WINDOWS\I386\NOTEPAD.EX_
        2224 = C:\WINDOWS\I386\NOTEPAD.HL_
        69120 = C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe
        69120 = C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\notepad.exe
        197 =
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Favorites\Yahoo!\Information
        Management\Notepad.url
        1519 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
        69120 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe

        Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
          Hi Ed,

          >We are unable to deliver the message from <ebrown1927@...>
          >to <ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com>.

          Thanks Ed! Just ignore those. Get with me if they continue.

          Thanks all for sending the stats back. I'm sick now, but will so what I can.

          All Fookes Software mailing lists:
          http://www.fookes.us/
          http://www.notetab.net/ http://www.clean-funnies.com/
        • Rosemary Culley
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2004
            To: ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [NRN] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?

            <--- Copy above this line --->
            <--- Right click over a Library --->
            <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->
            Thanks much!

            Also found this when I went back to Notetab, in a file I had open:
            H=Find notepad.*...
            funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
            %Files%=2384 = C:\disk\Lotus\organize\layouts\notepad.rep ^!Append
            ^!Goto Loop

            Jody

            from Dos
            is what I got, but then I am very much a learner. However, did a dir /s
            from the dos prompt and got 4 entries:
            C:\windows\notepad.exe 69120 04/08/04
            c:\windows\#NtServicePackUninstall$\notepad.exe 19456 04/08/02
            c:\windows\servicepackfiles\notepad.exe 69120 04/08/04
            c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe 69120 04/08/04

            Hope this helps

            c:\In message <4.3.2.7.2.20041004164217.02626e50@...>,
            Jody <kjv-av1611@...> writes

            --
            Rosemary Culley
            Wisdom is the art of knowing what to overlook.
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2004
              Hello Jody,

              Of course, I would like to help. Here is the result of running the
              clip that you made, on my machine. Below is exactly what was on my
              Clipboard after I ran it. -

              To: ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com

              1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Kath\Start
              Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
              1519 = C:\Documents and Settings\Nigel\Start
              Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
              17832 = C:\I386\NOTEPAD.CH_
              31944 = C:\I386\NOTEPAD.EX_
              2224 = C:\I386\NOTEPAD.HL_
              2384 = C:\lotus\organize\layouts\notepad.rep
              19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
              25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
              12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
              13320 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2DAE2DE6.pf
              5968 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2F2D61E1.pf
              1519 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
              Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
              19456 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
              69120 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS
              69120 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS.BAK
              67 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.INI
              67 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.INI.MS

              Thanks much!

              Nigel

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > I did not get a whole lot of response on the ntb-NextRelease
              > list, so perhaps some of you can give this a run for me. TIA
              >
              > I have a Clip now to Replace MS Notepad on my XP SP2 and another
              > to Restore MS Notepad. Could some of you run the following Clip
              > that has SP2 installed please. I need a few that has messed with
              > NoteTab's Replace/Restore MS Notepad and some that have. Perhaps
              > a couple that had it replaced before they installed SP2 without
              > doing the Restore. I need to see where notepad.* is on your
              > machines. The following Clip will tell me that, or should. <g>
              >
              > Type in the drive letter that you have Windows installed on. It
              > should come right back, select the file list, copy to the
              > Clipboard and open/focus your mail client if you choose, Yes.
              > Please reply to this thread.
              >
              > <--- Copy below this line --->
              > H=Find notepad.*...
              > ; eMailed on 10-04-2004, ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com, Jody
              > ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
              >
              > ^!ClearVariable %Files%
              > ^!SetWizardLabel Enter Windows Installation Drive Letter
              > ^!Set %Dir%=^?{(T=D)==C:\}
              > ^!SetHintInfo Getting Directory Information...
              > ^!SetArray %FileList%=^$GetFiles("+^%Dir%";notepad.*)$
              > ^!Set %Count%=^%FileList0%
              > ^!Set %Index%=0; %FileCount%=0
              >
              > :Loop
              > ^!Inc %Index%
              > ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% Finish
              > ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileSize(^%FileList^%Index%%)$ = ^%FileList^%
              > ^!Append %Files%=^$GetPath("^%FileName%")$^$GetFileName("^%
              FileName%")$^%nl%
              > ^!Goto Loop
              >
              > :Finish
              > ^!Toolbar New Document
              > ^!Insert To: ntb-NextRelease@yahoogroups.com^p
              > ^!Insert Subject: Re: [NRN] Where's Notepad on XP SP2?^p^p
              > ^!Set %SelectTo%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
              > ^!Insert ^%Files%^pThanks much!^pJody^p
              > ^!Jump -3
              > ^!SelectTo ^%SelectTo%
              > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
              > ^!Continue Data is on Clipboard. Please reply to Re: [NRN] Where's
              Notepad on XP SP2?
              > ^!mailto:
              >
              > <--- Copy above this line --->
              > <--- Right click over a Library --->
              > <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Jody
              > ...he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast...
              > http://www.clean-funnies.com
              > See ya in the funnies!
              > http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
              > http://www.sojourner.us/software
              > notetab.net, fookes.us

            • acummingsus
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004

                I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
                that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
                command line.

                http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version

                http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

                At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
                reports that

                winver

                entered at command line) returns version info.

                Dunno if this of any help or not. I just ran across it just now.

                Later.

                --
                Alan C.
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                  Hi Alan,

                  Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
                  returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
                  the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
                  day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
                  Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
                  not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
                  there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
                  results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
                  to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
                  and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
                  Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
                  when you send the results in case the information is some I
                  haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

                  This has a little bit more than just the Notepad results, plus
                  also searches hidden folders (well, I temporarily unhide them
                  because the ^!SetFileAttri is broke in at least XP SP2. It's safe
                  to run. ;)

                  This just finds where notepad.* is on your Windows install drive
                  and gets a couple of registry entries.
                  http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

                  >I thought there used to be an environment variable (env var) that held
                  >that information. Env var used to able to access via a command on the
                  >command line.
                  >
                  >http://compeds.com/generalwindowstips.htm#Find%20Windows%20Version
                  >
                  >http://www.google.com/search?q=%22find%20windows%20version%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
                  >
                  >At the moment, I'm on Linux or I'd give the command a try. (top url
                  >reports that
                  >
                  >winver
                  >
                  >entered at command line) returns version info.

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • Ed Brown
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                    Jody wrote:
                    > Hi Alan,
                    >
                    > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
                    > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
                    > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
                    > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
                    > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
                    > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
                    > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
                    > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
                    > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
                    > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
                    > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
                    > when you send the results in case the information is some I
                    > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

                    12521 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.hlp
                    1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Start
                    Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
                    1423 = C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start
                    Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
                    1423 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start
                    Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
                    16016 = C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NOTEPAD.EXE-2F2D61E1.pf
                    19456 = C:\Program Files\Messenger\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
                    19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
                    19456 = C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
                    19456 = C:\Program Files\Online Services\NoteTab Pro\NotePad.stb
                    23110 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chw
                    25236 = C:\WINDOWS\Help\notepad.chm
                    411 = C:\Perl\eg\Windows Script Host\notepad.wsf
                    438 = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Helpers\Jump To HTML
                    Editor\Notepad.lnk
                    438 = C:\Program Files\VCOM\PowerDesk\Ed\Favorites\Favorite
                    Programs\Notepad.lnk
                    66048 = C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
                    66048 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
                    69120 =
                    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989\notepad.exe

                    Total Files: 17

                    Original FileAttr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS
                    Changed Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\ to: DRS
                    Current Attr for C:\windows\System32\dllcache\: DHRS

                    Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab:
                    2600.xpsp2.030422-1633
                    Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
                    Microsoft Windows XP
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                      I did not send but the OS is XP Pro so I will resend all.
                      Ed

                      Jody wrote:

                      > Hi Alan,
                      >
                      > Thanks, I needed a way to get the information from a Clip and
                      > returned with no intervention. I think we found it. Thanks for
                      > the other stuff you sent though. We ran the winvir on the first
                      > day or so when Julie G. sent it until she realized I needed a
                      > Clip to check the registry. I didn't know where to check and it's
                      > not standard on the different WinOS'. Looks like I'm getting
                      > there though. If you would like to run a Clip for me and send the
                      > results to me, I'd appreciate it and anyone else that would like
                      > to do it. You just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C on the web page below
                      > and then right click over a Library and choose Add from
                      > Clipboard. I need you to tell me what WinOS you ran the Clip on
                      > when you send the results in case the information is some I
                      > haven't seen yet. Thanks all!

                    • acummingsus
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 12, 2004
                        H=Find notepad.* (GetHidden)...
                        (also sent to addr enclosed inside the clip)

                        But, here's the same info once again in case anyone else is interested.

                        Win 2k SP4
                        There is no CurrentVersion:BuildLab key

                        D:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start
                        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 7/6/2003 7:48:23 PM
                        D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Recent\notepad.lnk 1 KB 7/17/2004
                        3:17:45 PM
                        D:\Documents and Settings\fb11_s\Start
                        Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk 2 KB 8/9/2003 8:25:46 PM
                        D:\WINNT\NOTEPAD.EXE 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                        D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.chm 25 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                        D:\WINNT\Help\notepad.hlp 13 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                        D:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM
                        D:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\notepad.exe 50 KB 12/10/1999 2:00:00 PM

                        Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:
                        Microsoft Windows 2000

                        287 KB total file size exported the entire currentversion. What I cut
                        off and did not enclose herein appeared to be totally out of the ball
                        park anyways. (Instead of BuildLab) it looks like perhaps
                        CurrentBuildNumber is the nearest equivalent. Snip that was exported
                        from reg editor enclosed next:
                        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

                        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
                        "CurrentBuild"="1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)"
                        "InstallDate"=dword:3f087b81
                        "ProductName"="Microsoft Windows 2000"
                        "RegDone"=""
                        "RegisteredOrganization"=""
                        "RegisteredOwner"="fb11_s"
                        "SoftwareType"="SYSTEM"
                        "CurrentVersion"="5.0"
                        "CurrentBuildNumber"="2195"
                        "CurrentType"="Uniprocessor Free"
                        "SystemRoot"="D:\\WINNT"
                        "SourcePath"="\\\\P2BS104-snipped\\050902\\WIN2KCAB\\I386"
                        "PathName"="D:\\WINNT"
                        "ProductId"="
                        "DigitalProductId"=hex:a4,
                        winver output:
                        Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

                        -- Alan C.

                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                        > Hi Alan,
                        [ . . ]