Marcelo's answer for using NoteTab as Default Editor in IE, that worked for me.

  • Nigel Hall
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2004
      Hi Jody and everyone, I did not realise that there were some threads
      over on this forum already dealing with the problem of using NoteTab
      as default HTML editor in Windows XP after installing SP2. This
      message is transferring my question about this and the solution that
      Marcelo gave to me (on the NoteTab HTML forum) over to this forum.
      I was disappointed to find that, after I had installed SP2 in
      Windows XP, NoteTab didn't open up when I clicked on View/Source in
      Internet Explorer and I got plain old MS Notepad instead . However
      Marcelo gave me an answer that has solved my problem, for which I am
      grateful.

      On 30/9/2004 17:11, Nigel Hall invited the wrath of the gods by
      saying:

      >Hello,
      >
      >Up until recently, Note Tab was set as my default editor, so that
      >when I clicked on View/Source on the drop down menu, at the top of
      >the Internet Explorer screen, it would show the HTML in Note Tab.
      >However, now it does not, and only shows the HTML in Notepad, when I
      >click on View/Source. I have tried going to "Help" in the drop down
      >menu, in NoteTab, and clicking on "Replace MS Notepad...", but it
      >does not work. I get a box that asks if I would like Note Tab Pro
      >to execute, instead of MS Notepad, and I click on "Yes", then I get
      >a Warning box that says, more or less, that Windows may try to stop
      >me from doing this, but I must cancel a message telling me to
      >restore the original Notepad, and, when it asks again, to tell it
      >that I want to keep the unrecognised file version. I am getting no
      >messages from Windows, and I just can't get NoteTab Pro to work from
      >the drop down menu in Internet Explorer.
      >
      >I have been using NoteTab from the drop down menu, with View/Source,
      >for about 2 years and have only had a problem since I installed XP
      >Service Pack 2 and a couple of more recent updates.
      >
      >Can anyone help, please?

      Marcelo wrote:-

      OK. What's happening is this:
      - What the "Replace MS Notepad" feature in Notetab does is rename
      Notepad to something else and then replacing it with a dummy
      "notepad.exe" file that only calls Notetab instead.
      - The problem is: recent versions of Windows (Win2000, XP, etc) have
      "file protection" feature that won't let a bunch of files considered
      "essential" to Windows being deleted, replaced or otherwise changed.
      If
      any of those things happen, Windows will silently replace it back
      with a
      fresh copy. In Windows 2000, you have only to delete/rename
      the "clean
      copy" of notepad.exe (which is in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
      subfolder) to get around this. Windows will complain, and ask for the
      original disk; Just Say No and the trick will work.
      - After SP2 is installed, the feature gets a bit harder to get
      around;
      now, it will search for notepad.exe ALSO from the
      C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 . If it finds it in either place, it
      will not only restore the file in the system32 folder, but also in
      the
      other "backup" folder.
      - So, what you have to do is to rename BOTH backup files -- in the
      dllcache AND in the ServicePackFiles\i386 folders -- BEFORE using the
      "Replace MS Notepad" feature. When you do, Windows will complain,
      threaten you with loss of system stability yadda yadda yadda... just
      click "Cancel" and you will be fine.

      (Just to be sure that it has all gone well, look at the "notepad.exe"
      file in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder... if it is 19kb long and
      displays an old-fashioned, "Windows 95" icon, then the trick worked.
      The
      new file is 68 kb long and sports one of the new "Teletubbies"
      (sorry,
      "Luna") style icons.

      The funny thing is, I left a perfectly good copy of the original
      Windows notepad.exe in the C:\WINDOWS folder (and it's supposed to be
      there, it came in the original installation of XP, so Windows File
      Protection supposedly *knew* it was there) but WFP didn't try to use
      *that* one to restore the configuration. Go figure...

      --
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos

      On 1/10/2004 12:43, Nigel Hall invited the wrath of the gods by
      saying:

      >I can't find the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache, I don't seem
      >to have it. Anyway, I renamed the notepad.exe file in
      >C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, then I used the "Search" from the
      >Start menu to try to find all the notepad.exe files on my computer
      >and rename them. However, I can't rename either the one in
      >C:\WINDOWS or C:WINDOWS\system32 without the original notepad.exe
      >file reappearing, I have tried renaming both, but I am not able to
      >do it without the original files reappearing. According to
      >the "Search" function, these are the only two notepad.exe files that
      >are there now. I re-checked the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
      >folder and notepad.exe is not there any more, only the renamed
      >file. When I open NoteTab and try to replace Notepad with NoteTab,
      >it won't do it, and I am still left with Notepad opening up when I
      >click on View/Source in IE.

      Marcelo wrote:-
      "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache" is a hidden and protected folder. You
      have to open Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options/View and
      select "Show
      hidden files and folders", AND ALSO unselect "Hide protected
      operating
      system files (recommended)" (ignore the warning, if you are worried
      about it just turn it back the way it was after setting up Notetab).
      As
      long as you're there, you might as well turn off the "Hide extensions
      for known file types" and play a bit with the other options (just try
      one at a time to find out what it does, and if that is for you).

      The default setup for the XP search sucks, by the way -- it tends to
      *not* search in a *lot* of places. It needs quite a bit of tweaking
      before it starts to be useful.

      --
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      -=-=-

      Nigel wrote:-
      Hi Marcelo,

      Thanks, it worked :)

      I had the other options that you suggested already selected in my
      folder options, but I did not have the "Hide Protected operating
      system files" unticked. When I unticked it, I could see the
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder, as you said, and when I renamed
      all three of the notepad.exe files, (the one in that folder) also
      those in the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and in the C:\WINDOWS
      folder, then opened NoteTab and went to "Help" in the drop down
      menu, at the top of the screen and selected "Replace MS Notepad..."
      it really did replace Notepad and now NoteTab is back as my default
      editor when I click on View/Source in Internet Explorer.

      I renamed the original notepad.exe files as notepadold.exe.

      Thanks very much for your help. It is great to have NoteTab back,
      as I want it. :)

      Regards,
      Nigel
    • future.com@vsnl.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2004
        I use win2000 SP4. I tried to apply the same remedy as mentioned below for
        XP. But it failed. OS does not allow to rename or delete notepad.exe

        Srish Agrawal