Re: [NH] Can't set Note Tab as default editor in IE any more

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi Nigel and Others,

      Thanks for all the input so far...

      >I don't know why there is not a "Replace MS Notepad..." in your drop
      >down "Help" menu in Note Tab Pro, there is in mine, maybe Jody will
      >know why.

      We ought to move this over to the Off-Topic list, please! :) See my sigline.

      Well, I have Windows XP SP2 installed now, but haven't found a
      sure fire way to use the "Replace MS Notepad" yet. I won't get
      into everything I've come up with so far, but when I get
      something solid I will post. It will probably be in the Clip
      form, unless I can find a way to keep it restoring on its own
      after restarting NoteTab, rebooting Windows, and having it
      on/off. I think there are other areas also than what has been
      mentioned like if one has Win98 installed on the same machine. :)
      I really don't know yet, but figured I'd post and let you all
      know I am working on it too - not that that is anything special,
      but the more heads working on it the sooner we might find a sure
      fire fix.

      All Fookes Software mailing lists:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hi All,

        Please take all the threads on the HTML list dealing with
        FireFox, default HTML editor, Replace MS Notepad and the like
        over to the Off Topic list. Jim Hall has been very busy lately,
        but I will let him know that his procedure does not work anymore
        with XP Pro/Home SP2. Please keep Subjects current with what is
        in the message body. TIA

        Please reply to this on the Off Topic list. See my signature line.

        I can get Replace MS Notepad to stick as long as if I do not
        Restore MS Notepad and then Replace MS Notepad again. I then have
        to run my Clip to delete the files in the service pack and
        dllcache folders. So, I'll be working on a Clip that hopefully
        will make it so we can toggle back and forth with just one click.

        If you don't want it to toggle and just want your text file and IE
        HTML editor to be NoteTab, then just:

        1. Associate all text based files you want to open in NoteTab
        under the Associations tab in Options.

        2. Under the HTML Files tab Add htm and html file types so that
        when you right click on go to Windows Explorer (or My Computer)
        and choose Edit, they will open in NoteTab.

        3. In the Utilities Library in NoteTab scroll down to the NoteTab
        Shortcuts area and click on the Clip "Add IE Default HTML Editor"
        so that when you use the Edit icon or View Source they will open
        in NoteTab.

        Note: With that configuration the only time that Notepad will be
        opened is when a program forces Notepad to be used.

        ... and one more time <g>
        Please reply and make all other messages that are not HTML
        related over on the Off Topic list. Please do not reply to these
        messages and ask HTML questions in them - please make all
        Subjects to reflect what your message is about.

        > ...although I followed Jim Halls guidelines.

        > I think it would be useful to include your reference to the
        > second hidden file in the ServicePackFiles-directory in Jim
        > Halls replacement-guide... I never had the need to use it,
        > until SP2. Jody refers to it frequently, but at this moment it
        > is not complete. Of course, Jody could also refer to your post.

        All Fookes Software mailing lists:
        http://www.fookes.us/
        http://www.notetab.net/ http://www.clean-funnies.com/
      • Harkavy HOME
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
          Hi All,

          Sent over from the [NH] list. Ward Wrote:

          Sorry. One more thing. I'm having a problem getting the html version to
          come out in Firefox when I hit F8. I just get a buggy Mozilla window
          with two other meaningless, weird tabs on it. So I've resorted to using
          IE as the "other browser." But I'd rather stick with Mozilla for
          everything. Any suggestions.
          Thanks.

          Ward Harkavy

          >I don't know why there is not a "Replace MS Notepad..." in your drop
          >down "Help" menu in Note Tab Pro, there is in mine, maybe Jody will
          >know why.

          We ought to move this over to the Off-Topic list, please! :) See my
          sigline.

          Well, I have Windows XP SP2 installed now, but haven't found a sure fire
          way to use the "Replace MS Notepad" yet. I won't get into everything
          I've come up with so far, but when I get something solid I will post. It
          will probably be in the Clip form, unless I can find a way to keep it
          restoring on its own after restarting NoteTab, rebooting Windows, and
          having it on/off. I think there are other areas also than what has been
          mentioned like if one has Win98 installed on the same machine. :) I
          really don't know yet, but figured I'd post and let you all know I am
          working on it too - not that that is anything special, but the more
          heads working on it the sooner we might find a sure fire fix.

          All Fookes Software mailing lists:
          http://www.fookes.us/
          http://www.notetab.net/ http://www.clean-funnies.com/
        • HARK home