When is a "text" file a "binary" file?

  • dbc4128
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I usually read the Clips list but popped in here with a question:

      I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.92 and recenly upgraded to Outlook Express
      5.01. Whenever I want to save a email in Outlook Express, I save it
      as "*.txt," not "*.eml". When I open the file in NoteTab Pro, I get
      the warning: "Warning! This may be a binary file! X characters
      converted to Alt+183." As far as I can see, the file looks like a
      plain text file, with no strange characters like one would see in a
      Word doc opened in NoteTab Pro. I don't remember this happening when
      I was using OE 4.01. What does OE 5 do to this file to render it
      a "binary" file? Thanks for any reponses.

      Deborah
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
        Hi Deborah,

        >I usually read the Clips list but popped in here with a question:

        Off Topic covers all the lists and more... ;) I can't see where
        this was answered, so I'll give it a try, although if you have
        anymore questions you need to reply on the ntb-BiText list. <g>

        Some programs put some kind of null character at the end of the
        file. When the file opens, press Ctrl+End and see if there is a
        dot in the middle on the last line in column one. If so, click on
        Document | Read-only, then delete the character, and save. That
        should fix you up if that is what it was.

        >I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.92 and recenly upgraded to Outlook Express
        >5.01. Whenever I want to save a email in Outlook Express, I save it
        >as "*.txt," not "*.eml". When I open the file in NoteTab Pro, I get
        >the warning: "Warning! This may be a binary file! X characters
        >converted to Alt+183." As far as I can see, the file looks like a
        >plain text file, with no strange characters like one would see in a
        >Word doc opened in NoteTab Pro. I don't remember this happening when
        >I was using OE 4.01. What does OE 5 do to this file to render it
        >a "binary" file? Thanks for any reponses.

        All Fookes Software mailing lists:
        http://www.fookes.us/
        http://www.notetab.net/ http://www.clean-funnies.com/
      • dbc4128
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:

          > although if you have
          > anymore questions you need to reply on the ntb-BiText list. <g>

          LOL. You had me looking for such a list for a while. :)

          > Some programs put some kind of null character at the end of the
          > file. When the file opens, press Ctrl+End and see if there is a
          > dot in the middle on the last line in column one. If so, click on
          > Document | Read-only, then delete the character, and save. That
          > should fix you up if that is what it was.

          Thank you! That is what I was wanted to know.

          - Deborah

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
            Hi dbc4128,

            So was the character at the end the problem, did it fix it?

            >> although if you have anymore questions you need to reply on the
            >> ntb-BiText list. <g>
            >
            >LOL. You had me looking for such a list for a while. :)

            :)