[NTO] ygarchive.zip (was [Clip] Archives)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 3:29 PM
      Charles:

      You should have got a file upload notice.
      FWIW: the program mentioned by Bob Janes : PG Offline
      http://www.pgoffline.com/ looks like a really good one and appears to have a
      trial period.

      Please let us know how you make out with either one of them ...

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        Alec Burgess wrote:
        > FWIW: the program mentioned by Bob Janes : PG Offline
        http://www.pgoffline.com/ looks like a really good one and appears to have a
        trial period.

        I haven't tried YGArchive. I've used PGOffline for six months or so and been
        very pleased with it. I got it mainly to support a couple of lists that I
        own or moderate and it has been a valuable add-on. I don't use it to respond
        to postings, though I could. Mostly it is used for list admin, archiving,
        and for pulling off sets of messages which I then clean up and create as PDF
        files for a readable archive. PG Offline has a facility to create a digest
        from a selection of messages that I find I an copy and paste into MS Word to
        clean up for publication.

        There is indeed a free trial - I believe that it's for 30 days and is
        full-featured. That was enough to convince me to buy for my needs.

        Wilson Logan the developer has also been friendly and responsive and when I
        had a bug had his developer create a one-off logging version to track down
        the fault. He makes himself available through e-mail, ICQ or Skype.

        The one caution that I have is that if you start to download a site with
        more than about 200 messages then you need to read the instructions and set
        up PG Offline to do it in chunks so that Yahoo doesn't ban you temporarily.
        My current settings are to do 150 messages then wait 45 minutes. It can take
        a few days to get a really big archive but it all happens quietly in the
        background as does updating of new messages.

        NB I have no connection with Personal Groupware other than as a satisfied
        user.

        Best wishes

        Bob

        --

        Bob Janes
        'A Helping Hand'

        Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am
        right, is there not some reason to fear that I may be wrong? ~ Jane
        Austen