Re: [NTB] Restore Notepad

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
      Hi Ed,

      >I tried to restore MS Notepad. When I went to help and clicked on
      >restore notepad, I had a pop up window that asked if I wanted to
      >restore MS Notepad, I clicked YES. Then I received this message:
      >Unable to restore MS Notepad. Stub file is write protected.
      >
      >So how do I remove the write protection from the stub file,
      >whatever that is?

      We are aware that XP SP2 broke the Replace/Restore MS Notepad
      feature. :( Whoever might be reading this and has not upgraded to
      XP SP2 yet, click on Help | Restore MS Notepad before upgrading.

      To the best of my knowledge you cannot remove the file protection
      system feature in Windows.

      Try going into your ..\Windows\System32 folder in Windows
      Explorer (or My Computer) and browse to the following two files.
      If you sort by name they will be right next to each other. Select
      both of them, right click over the selection, choose Properties,
      and click on the Read-only box a few times leaving it unchecked
      and press OK.

      D:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS
      D:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

      See if you can change it NoteTab then under the Help menu. If you
      cannot restore it via NoteTab | Help | Restore MS Notepad, try
      the following in Windows Explorer (or My Computer):

      Rename "NOTEPAD.EXE" to something like "NOTEPAD.EXE.NTBRename"
      by right clicking over it and choosing Rename.
      Now, try to rename "NOTEPAD.EXE.MS" (about 64Kb) to "NOTEPAD.EXE".
      Wait for awhile (or reboot Windows to be sure) and if Windows
      does not restore it), you can delete "NOTEPAD.EXE.NTBRename" The
      real Notepad should be about 64Kb. You can hold your mouse over
      the files to see the file size in the hint/information popup.

      If you are still having problems with it go Jim Hall's page and
      study his method for replacing MS Notepad. Make any changes in
      the steps that would apply to your situation: http://jimbow.com/

      Other than that, please sign up on the NoteTab Off Topic (see my
      sigline) list to see if somebody might know something to do. When
      I upgrade to SP2 I'll post a fix on this list if I can figure one
      out or if I see somebody else provides a fix. The feature in
      NoteTab won't be looked at until we upgrade NoteTab again. We do
      not have an estimated time of release for a maintenance release
      at this time.

      All Fookes Software mailing lists:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
        Hi Jody,
        I am signed up for the Off Topic list and thought about sending this to
        them, but decided that this is a notetab isssue and should be on the
        NoteTab list. However, if U say off topic then off topic we go, but I
        think it is on topic really. I will also take it to MS Troubleshooting
        area and any other place the MS helps with problems with XP sp2. I used
        the disc since it was free to install XP sp2, did not take anytime to
        download :-) and this is the first problem that I have run into. So now
        I am wondering what else will I find down the road. Still, all in all,
        I find XP Pro the best thing that MS has come up with. It does many
        good things. I would advise anyone to get it and use it. Great
        Program. Seems like the upgrade for NTB is still in the dream stage. I
        hope it becomes a reality very soon.
        regards
        Ed

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
          Jody,
          I followed your instructions
          Jody wrote:

          >Hi Ed,
          >
          > >I tried to restore MS Notepad. When I went to help and clicked on
          > >restore notepad, I
          >Try going into your ..\Windows\System32 folder in Windows
          >Explorer (or My Computer) and browse to the following two files.
          >If you sort by name they will be right next to each other. Select
          >both of them, right click over the selection, choose Properties,
          >and click on the Read-only box a few times leaving it unchecked
          >and press OK.
          >
          >D:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS
          >D:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
          >
          >See if you can change it NoteTab then under the Help menu.

          *Jody this worked like a charm. I highlighted both clicked properties
          and unchecked the read only box closed and whent ot NTB help and clicked
          on restore NotePad. When I looked at Windows>system32>only Notepad.exe
          remained. I closed every thing out and went to Start>NotePad and NotePad
          came up. Thanks bunches, and see ya in the funnies.
          Ed*

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
            Hi Ed,

            I forgot to mention to you that if it worked that you could reply
            and mention that on the Basic list, but we didn't want to get
            into any trouble shooting on that list. Thanks for the reply
            about it. I mentioned that it worked for your problem (on the
            Basic list) taking the files out of Read-only. As I mentioned
            over there though, I don't believe that is the same problem
            others are experiencing, because a few people that gace details
            didn't mention the message you received about not being able to
            write to the stub. Thanks again!