On the Subject of Off Topic...

  • Michael Acklin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
      Does anyone want a Gmail Invite? I have been with NoteTab Groups for a
      long time and thought maybe some of you would like to get in on the
      Gmail System.

      I get about 6-8 invites a week and they just sit there. I have signed
      up on a Gmail Giving Tree, but not much happens on there.

      I know I could sell them on eBay, but I don't want to rip people off
      as they are free and at one time they were selling them on eBay for
      $15-20 apiece. Dumb...

      But if anyone would like to recieve a FREE invite to Gmail, let me
      know, OFFLIST. Don't want to clutter up the list with this.

      Just wanting to share...:)
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
        And a Gmail is...?

        C.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
          Sorry. I guess I should have added the gmail link to the original message.

          Gmail is Google Mail from Google. Gmail is in Beta test right now and
          like I mentioned, I get about 6 invites a week. It is a Web Based
          System, something like Hotmail, but allows you to store your message
          on their servers. You are allowed 1 Gig of storeage space and this
          allows you to "Arcive" your messages instead of deleting them. Also
          you can do a search of these messages for specific items that you
          might want to find.

          I am not very good at explaining things and you get can get a better
          idea about Gmail from http://www.gmail.com

          It explains it better.

          On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:21:17 -0400, Christine <christine@...> wrote:
          > And a Gmail is...?
          >
          > C.

        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
            On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:00:31 -0500, Michael Acklin <freeop@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone want a Gmail Invite? I have been with NoteTab Groups for a
            > long time and thought maybe some of you would like to get in on the
            > Gmail System.

            Ditto here if anyone wants one, please reply privately to me.

            > I know I could sell them on eBay, but I don't want to rip people off
            > as they are free and at one time they were selling them on eBay for
            > $15-20 apiece. Dumb...

            Google changed the GMail TOS about a month ago to prohibit sale of
            invites and they are terminating the accounts created by the sold
            invites. Plus when there's a glut of invites like right now, they
            usually only get about $1 apiece, making it not worth very much.

            --
            alice ttlg

            Email me for GMail invites! Offlist please!

            Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
            http://alice.ttlg.net/

            It's off in the distance.
            It came into the room.
            It's here in the circle.
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
              any clue why some people get six invites a week and others get none?
              how are they selecting testers?

              I get every other piece of junk mail imaginable, but not one of those :-)
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
                I'm up to 7 :-).

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Don,

                  It just takes time to get the invites.

                  The first week I had my account I did not get any invites at all. Then
                  a couple of weeks ago, I got one. Boy did I think I was something. :)

                  Then last week I started getting 6 or so a week. So I am not for
                  certain, but I guess they release them after a couple of weeks being
                  in the system...

                  Hope this helps...

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
                    <don@...> wrote:
                    > any clue why some people get six invites a week and others get none?
                    > how are they selecting testers?

                    I think it's based on what server you're on, I suspect they turn on
                    invites for different servers at various times. I have five gmail
                    accounts and some of the new features will get implemented on one
                    account but not another and I got invites on two accounts but not the
                    other three, they got them a week later.

                    Doing invites and feature upgrades server by server allows them to
                    debug better, catch errors early on and fix them before they hit all
                    the users.

                    I've seen theories that people who were invited by a Google employee
                    will get more invites when others don't but I can say that's not true
                    because I was invited by a Google employee and lots of other people
                    got invites in August a couple weeks ahead of me.

                    That's my two cents for the day! :)

                    --
                    alice ttlg

                    Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
                    http://alice.ttlg.net/

                    Get your GMail Invites here! Email me off list please.

                    It's off in the distance.
                    It came into the room.
                    It's here in the circle.