Re: [NTO] XP SP2

  • jorigami
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 2, 2004
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...>
      wrote:

      > With SP2 raising the security bar for Windows,

      Thomas C Greene seems to think different about the raising bar:
      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/02/winxpsp2_security_review/

      > Its an MSI file which "installs" an 80 page DOC file!

      I wonder if it's similar to the MS security PDF which required EULA
      agreement (!) before install. Opening the installation file allowed
      extracting the file without that nonsense :)

      > maybe until Longhorn's successor arrives (2006+?) which is
      apparently going
      > to be the one that implements their whiz-bang new File System which
      make
      > your entire harddrive a fully indexed database.

      Which was first done in BeOS and will be in OSX Tiger before MS gets
      it out.

      (You guessed it, bad day with MS products...)

      Jorma
    • Dennis Cummins
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 7, 2004
        On Tuesday, September 07, 2004 at 8:55, Lloyd wrote:

        > Stay strong. The other day my grandson (the computer major at the
        > University) helped me by loading it on my XP. The next time I used the
        > computer after about 2 hours of use, it re-booted itself. Or should I say
        > tried to re-boot itself. I am up and running again after the re-formatting
        > of my "C" drive.

        NOt one problem here with SP2.

        > No matter how well you think you are doing with saving everything.
        > Re-formatting will show you that you didn't do well enough.

        Have a look at this,

        http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/

        This is the best one I have seen. I use it and have restore more than
        once with this to a new hard drive and the like.

        I have restored just the xp partition using this. I use to use Ghost but
        switched.

        --
        Dennis