Re: RE: [NTO] XP SP2

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 2, 2004
      Christine

      See this article from PCPRO:
      http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?news/news_story.php?id=62552

      >>Microsoft has created a new guide to allay fears for those who are
      deploying XP service pack 2.
      With SP2 raising the security bar for Windows, increasingly problems have
      been found with applications that assume a less rigorous regime. According
      to the Microsoft website, the Application Compatibility Testing and
      Mitigation Guide for Windows XP Service Pack 2 'will assist IT professionals
      to test and mitigate application compatibility issues arising from these
      more stringent security technologies.'
      The document - which is available from the Microsoft Download Centre -
      covers the new security settings, application testing processes,
      incompatibility symptoms and various 'mitigation techniques'.<<

      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9300BECF-2DEE-4772-ADD9-AD0EAF89C4A7&displaylang=en

      Its an MSI file which "installs" an 80 page DOC file!

      I think I'm going to stick with Win2K until Longhorn (2006) arrives - or
      maybe until Longhorn's successor arrives (2006+?) which is apparently going
      to be the one that implements their whiz-bang new File System which make
      your entire harddrive a fully indexed database.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 7, 2004
        On Tuesday, September 07, 2004 at 8:55, Lloyd wrote:

        > Stay strong. The other day my grandson (the computer major at the
        > University) helped me by loading it on my XP. The next time I used the
        > computer after about 2 hours of use, it re-booted itself. Or should I say
        > tried to re-boot itself. I am up and running again after the re-formatting
        > of my "C" drive.

        NOt one problem here with SP2.

        > No matter how well you think you are doing with saving everything.
        > Re-formatting will show you that you didn't do well enough.

        Have a look at this,

        http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/

        This is the best one I have seen. I use it and have restore more than
        once with this to a new hard drive and the like.

        I have restored just the xp partition using this. I use to use Ghost but
        switched.

        --
        Dennis