Re: [NTO] LOL, OTOH, IMO, FWIW, FYI, ROTL, etc...

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
      Jody:

      When you put the Whatchamacallit Glossary entry together it might be worth
      including a link to http://acronymfinder.com/ so readers can find any you've
      missed themselves.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
        E-Mail or e-mail or email or eMail or e-Mail or any other derivation you can
        think of really doesn't matter a damn. Everyone knows what you mean
        whichever way you express it and communication is the all important aspect,
        nothing else.

        Take care. Barry UK

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
          On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:22:46 -0500, you wrote:

          > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
          > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

          Jody:

          I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short enough
          (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went to look at the
          glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're speaking about the
          spelling checker dictionaries, not the cliplibs.

          I discovered that it has been so long since I've ever tried using
          NoteTab's spelling checker (I don't often edit anything but program code
          in NoteTab) that, what with any number of installings, uninstallings,
          reinstallings, upgrades and moving to a new computer, I don't have any
          dictionary files on my machine. I seem to remember that Eric had some
          available for download from his website, so I went looking. Can't find
          any. I'm sure I've got some on a CD around here somewhere, but who knows
          where I stored it in the Archaeological Filing System?

          What do the other glossary names look like?

          (Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that don't
          yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think it's
          consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while simultaneously
          dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I mean, if you want to get
          picky ... <grin>...)

          Regards,
          Paul

          (Still lurking but too busy lately to chime in)

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
            Jody,
            You missed the one I prefer to use: IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble
            Opinion.
            Ed

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
              Hi Dr. Paul, and All Others,

              Thanks everybody for all the posts - seen enough now. ;)

              >> What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
              >> release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
              >
              >I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short
              >enough (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went
              >to look at the glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're
              >speaking about the spelling checker dictionaries, not the
              >cliplibs.
              >
              >What do the other glossary names look like?

              Click on Help | NoteTab Glossary... You're listed in the
              Acknowledgements section, but we want mention it to anybody less
              they think your memory is failing. ;)

              >(Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that
              >don't yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think
              >it's consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while
              >simultaneously dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I
              >mean, if you want to get picky ... <grin>...)

              LOL! When has the American English ever been consistent?
              Furthermore, "ya'll" and "a-couple-a-three" (sp) is *perfect*
              English in the South! Where as "you all" and "two or three" would
              be considered a foreign language like they speak in the North! <vbg>

              Actually, I picked up eMail off Cindy Goss years+ ago during one
              of the early NoteTab updates when she suggested to Eric to spell
              it that way because it looked neat/kewl. :) I thought so too and
              never stopped using it. Eric did tell us that he needed to stick
              to the common or correct spelling or something like that. Who
              decided for us that e-mail was "correct" anyhow? ;) ...and, I bet
              this does not work: ^!e-mail <vbg>.

              ...and Dr. Paul says, "Oh, that glossary!" ;)

              All Fookes Software mailing lists:
              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                Is it "The Moon" or "the Moon", or just "Luna"?

                Is it "The Earth", "he Earth" or just "Gaia"?

                Is it "The Sun", "the Sun" or just "Sol"?

                Semantics can be just as personal in use as your name.
                --
                ~~

                Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                "Just the facts, maam."
                Sgt. Joe Friday,
                LAPD Badge #714

                Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
              • Jeff Scism