Re: [NTO] LOL, OTOH, IMO, FWIW, FYI, ROTL, etc...

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2 1:57 AM
      > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that
      > e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

      So does mine, but I haven't been able to convince M$ spell checkers to accept it. :-(

      Dave S

      From: "Jody" <kjv-av1611@...>
      Hi All,

      Don't everybody reply at once now. :)

      What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
      release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

      ---

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2 3:20 AM
        Jody:

        When you put the Whatchamacallit Glossary entry together it might be worth
        including a link to http://acronymfinder.com/ so readers can find any you've
        missed themselves.

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2 4:39 AM
          E-Mail or e-mail or email or eMail or e-Mail or any other derivation you can
          think of really doesn't matter a damn. Everyone knows what you mean
          whichever way you express it and communication is the all important aspect,
          nothing else.

          Take care. Barry UK

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2 5:41 AM
            On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:22:46 -0500, you wrote:

            > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
            > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

            Jody:

            I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short enough
            (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went to look at the
            glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're speaking about the
            spelling checker dictionaries, not the cliplibs.

            I discovered that it has been so long since I've ever tried using
            NoteTab's spelling checker (I don't often edit anything but program code
            in NoteTab) that, what with any number of installings, uninstallings,
            reinstallings, upgrades and moving to a new computer, I don't have any
            dictionary files on my machine. I seem to remember that Eric had some
            available for download from his website, so I went looking. Can't find
            any. I'm sure I've got some on a CD around here somewhere, but who knows
            where I stored it in the Archaeological Filing System?

            What do the other glossary names look like?

            (Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that don't
            yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think it's
            consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while simultaneously
            dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I mean, if you want to get
            picky ... <grin>...)

            Regards,
            Paul

            (Still lurking but too busy lately to chime in)

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2 6:23 AM
              Jody,
              You missed the one I prefer to use: IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble
              Opinion.
              Ed

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2 7:45 PM
                Hi Dr. Paul, and All Others,

                Thanks everybody for all the posts - seen enough now. ;)

                >> What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                >> release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
                >
                >I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short
                >enough (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went
                >to look at the glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're
                >speaking about the spelling checker dictionaries, not the
                >cliplibs.
                >
                >What do the other glossary names look like?

                Click on Help | NoteTab Glossary... You're listed in the
                Acknowledgements section, but we want mention it to anybody less
                they think your memory is failing. ;)

                >(Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that
                >don't yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think
                >it's consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while
                >simultaneously dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I
                >mean, if you want to get picky ... <grin>...)

                LOL! When has the American English ever been consistent?
                Furthermore, "ya'll" and "a-couple-a-three" (sp) is *perfect*
                English in the South! Where as "you all" and "two or three" would
                be considered a foreign language like they speak in the North! <vbg>

                Actually, I picked up eMail off Cindy Goss years+ ago during one
                of the early NoteTab updates when she suggested to Eric to spell
                it that way because it looked neat/kewl. :) I thought so too and
                never stopped using it. Eric did tell us that he needed to stick
                to the common or correct spelling or something like that. Who
                decided for us that e-mail was "correct" anyhow? ;) ...and, I bet
                this does not work: ^!e-mail <vbg>.

                ...and Dr. Paul says, "Oh, that glossary!" ;)

                All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2 8:41 PM
                  Is it "The Moon" or "the Moon", or just "Luna"?

                  Is it "The Earth", "he Earth" or just "Gaia"?

                  Is it "The Sun", "the Sun" or just "Sol"?

                  Semantics can be just as personal in use as your name.
                  --
                  ~~

                  Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                  "Just the facts, maam."
                  Sgt. Joe Friday,
                  LAPD Badge #714

                  Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                  VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                  Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
                • Jeff Scism