Re: [NTO] LOL, OTOH, IMO, FWIW, FYI, ROTL, etc...

  • Mike Hopkins
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
      Jody,
      "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
      done.
      BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike@...

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Don't everybody reply at once now. :)
        >
        > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
        > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

        Jody,

        What about, Acronyms - Email/Internet?

        hrs
      • rbmooney
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
          Jody,
          I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever way
          you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word "e-mail"
          at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
          "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S the
          last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
          appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
          Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.

          R. Blake Mooney
          rbmooney@...

          > "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
          > done.
          > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !
          >
          > Mike Hopkins
          > ironmike@...

        • Christine
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
            Not "Netspeak?"

            C.
          • rbmooney
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
              Neil,
              My toe woke me up! Then I saw this and said one should help the world as much as possible. So I sent Jody's fav daily "code" onto you so that maybe a ground-swell of interest would fevelop and mankind could finally move ahead on some one front. DL...INTIOTM. Even If those 2 are combined they are still pronounced dill-inn-tee-OT-em. DL-INTIOTM = don't laugh-in the interest of the many. ICBBWWBKIAM-M = I-can't-believe-Bush-will-win-because-Kerry-is-a-micro-manager.

              After soaking my toe for 15 mins than applying this super anti-biotic drops on it I'll drop off the CEPHALEXIN. Get any anti-histamine and combine the 2 but JIC (just in case) you haven't I'll bring along 6 excellent CLARITIN tabs to take one per day for 6 days until the infection/allergy is broken up enough for your immune system to kick in. And I'd still take the CEPHLEXIN as: two 500MG caps each day for 10 da ys as the "infection" is not that severe so as to produce all 3 legs of the infection triad" swelling, pain, and fever.
              Blake
              ©¿©

              R. Blake Mooney
              rbmooney@...

              You don't have to be politically savvy to know
              Bush/Cheney/Ashcroft is a quick trip to a
              Military/Industrial police state. Like it or not
              but a police state is a terror state.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                Sorry for the careless routing of my previous e-mail wherein I really went
                off-topic.
                Blake
                rbmooney@...

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                  > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that
                  > e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

                  So does mine, but I haven't been able to convince M$ spell checkers to accept it. :-(

                  Dave S

                  What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                  release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                  ---

                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                    Jody:

                    When you put the Whatchamacallit Glossary entry together it might be worth
                    including a link to http://acronymfinder.com/ so readers can find any you've
                    missed themselves.

                    Regards ... Alec

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                      E-Mail or e-mail or email or eMail or e-Mail or any other derivation you can
                      think of really doesn't matter a damn. Everyone knows what you mean
                      whichever way you express it and communication is the all important aspect,
                      nothing else.

                      Take care. Barry UK

                      > I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever
                      way
                      > you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word
                      "e-mail"
                      > at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
                      > "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S
                      the
                      > last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
                      > appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
                      > Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.
                      >
                      > R. Blake Mooney
                      > rbmooney@...

                    • Dr. Paul Harder
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                        On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:22:46 -0500, you wrote:

                        > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                        > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                        Jody:

                        I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short enough
                        (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went to look at the
                        glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're speaking about the
                        spelling checker dictionaries, not the cliplibs.

                        I discovered that it has been so long since I've ever tried using
                        NoteTab's spelling checker (I don't often edit anything but program code
                        in NoteTab) that, what with any number of installings, uninstallings,
                        reinstallings, upgrades and moving to a new computer, I don't have any
                        dictionary files on my machine. I seem to remember that Eric had some
                        available for download from his website, so I went looking. Can't find
                        any. I'm sure I've got some on a CD around here somewhere, but who knows
                        where I stored it in the Archaeological Filing System?

                        What do the other glossary names look like?

                        (Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that don't
                        yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think it's
                        consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while simultaneously
                        dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I mean, if you want to get
                        picky ... <grin>...)

                        Regards,
                        Paul

                        (Still lurking but too busy lately to chime in)

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                          Jody,
                          You missed the one I prefer to use: IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble
                          Opinion.
                          Ed

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                            Hi Dr. Paul, and All Others,

                            Thanks everybody for all the posts - seen enough now. ;)

                            >> What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                            >> release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
                            >
                            >I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short
                            >enough (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went
                            >to look at the glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're
                            >speaking about the spelling checker dictionaries, not the
                            >cliplibs.
                            >
                            >What do the other glossary names look like?

                            Click on Help | NoteTab Glossary... You're listed in the
                            Acknowledgements section, but we want mention it to anybody less
                            they think your memory is failing. ;)

                            >(Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that
                            >don't yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think
                            >it's consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while
                            >simultaneously dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I
                            >mean, if you want to get picky ... <grin>...)

                            LOL! When has the American English ever been consistent?
                            Furthermore, "ya'll" and "a-couple-a-three" (sp) is *perfect*
                            English in the South! Where as "you all" and "two or three" would
                            be considered a foreign language like they speak in the North! <vbg>

                            Actually, I picked up eMail off Cindy Goss years+ ago during one
                            of the early NoteTab updates when she suggested to Eric to spell
                            it that way because it looked neat/kewl. :) I thought so too and
                            never stopped using it. Eric did tell us that he needed to stick
                            to the common or correct spelling or something like that. Who
                            decided for us that e-mail was "correct" anyhow? ;) ...and, I bet
                            this does not work: ^!e-mail <vbg>.

                            ...and Dr. Paul says, "Oh, that glossary!" ;)

                            All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                          • Jeff Scism
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                              Is it "The Moon" or "the Moon", or just "Luna"?

                              Is it "The Earth", "he Earth" or just "Gaia"?

                              Is it "The Sun", "the Sun" or just "Sol"?

                              Semantics can be just as personal in use as your name.
                              --
                              ~~

                              Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                              "Just the facts, maam."
                              Sgt. Joe Friday,
                              LAPD Badge #714

                              Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                              VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                              Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
                            • Jeff Scism