Re: [NTO] LOL, OTOH, IMO, FWIW, FYI, ROTL, etc...

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
      I tend to use WYSIWYNG where the "N" is an ungrammatical "not" when referring to M$ tendency to vary the output slightly depending on the printer involved. :-)

      Dave S

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
        Jody,
        "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
        done.
        BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

        Mike Hopkins
        ironmike@...

        What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
        release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
          Jody wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > Don't everybody reply at once now. :)
          >
          > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
          > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

          Jody,

          What about, Acronyms - Email/Internet?

          hrs
        • rbmooney
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
            Jody,
            I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever way
            you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word "e-mail"
            at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
            "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S the
            last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
            appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
            Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.

            R. Blake Mooney
            rbmooney@...

            > "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
            > done.
            > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !
            >
            > Mike Hopkins
            > ironmike@...

          • Christine
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
              Not "Netspeak?"

              C.
            • rbmooney
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                Neil,
                My toe woke me up! Then I saw this and said one should help the world as much as possible. So I sent Jody's fav daily "code" onto you so that maybe a ground-swell of interest would fevelop and mankind could finally move ahead on some one front. DL...INTIOTM. Even If those 2 are combined they are still pronounced dill-inn-tee-OT-em. DL-INTIOTM = don't laugh-in the interest of the many. ICBBWWBKIAM-M = I-can't-believe-Bush-will-win-because-Kerry-is-a-micro-manager.

                After soaking my toe for 15 mins than applying this super anti-biotic drops on it I'll drop off the CEPHALEXIN. Get any anti-histamine and combine the 2 but JIC (just in case) you haven't I'll bring along 6 excellent CLARITIN tabs to take one per day for 6 days until the infection/allergy is broken up enough for your immune system to kick in. And I'd still take the CEPHLEXIN as: two 500MG caps each day for 10 da ys as the "infection" is not that severe so as to produce all 3 legs of the infection triad" swelling, pain, and fever.
                Blake
                ©¿©

                R. Blake Mooney
                rbmooney@...

                You don't have to be politically savvy to know
                Bush/Cheney/Ashcroft is a quick trip to a
                Military/Industrial police state. Like it or not
                but a police state is a terror state.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Sorry for the careless routing of my previous e-mail wherein I really went
                  off-topic.
                  Blake
                  rbmooney@...

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                    > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that
                    > e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

                    So does mine, but I haven't been able to convince M$ spell checkers to accept it. :-(

                    Dave S

                    What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                    release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                    ---

                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                      Jody:

                      When you put the Whatchamacallit Glossary entry together it might be worth
                      including a link to http://acronymfinder.com/ so readers can find any you've
                      missed themselves.

                      Regards ... Alec

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                        E-Mail or e-mail or email or eMail or e-Mail or any other derivation you can
                        think of really doesn't matter a damn. Everyone knows what you mean
                        whichever way you express it and communication is the all important aspect,
                        nothing else.

                        Take care. Barry UK

                        > I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever
                        way
                        > you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word
                        "e-mail"
                        > at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
                        > "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S
                        the
                        > last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
                        > appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
                        > Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.
                        >
                        > R. Blake Mooney
                        > rbmooney@...

                      • Dr. Paul Harder
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                          On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:22:46 -0500, you wrote:

                          > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                          > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                          Jody:

                          I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short enough
                          (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went to look at the
                          glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're speaking about the
                          spelling checker dictionaries, not the cliplibs.

                          I discovered that it has been so long since I've ever tried using
                          NoteTab's spelling checker (I don't often edit anything but program code
                          in NoteTab) that, what with any number of installings, uninstallings,
                          reinstallings, upgrades and moving to a new computer, I don't have any
                          dictionary files on my machine. I seem to remember that Eric had some
                          available for download from his website, so I went looking. Can't find
                          any. I'm sure I've got some on a CD around here somewhere, but who knows
                          where I stored it in the Archaeological Filing System?

                          What do the other glossary names look like?

                          (Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that don't
                          yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think it's
                          consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while simultaneously
                          dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I mean, if you want to get
                          picky ... <grin>...)

                          Regards,
                          Paul

                          (Still lurking but too busy lately to chime in)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                            Jody,
                            You missed the one I prefer to use: IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble
                            Opinion.
                            Ed

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                              Hi Dr. Paul, and All Others,

                              Thanks everybody for all the posts - seen enough now. ;)

                              >> What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                              >> release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
                              >
                              >I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short
                              >enough (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went
                              >to look at the glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're
                              >speaking about the spelling checker dictionaries, not the
                              >cliplibs.
                              >
                              >What do the other glossary names look like?

                              Click on Help | NoteTab Glossary... You're listed in the
                              Acknowledgements section, but we want mention it to anybody less
                              they think your memory is failing. ;)

                              >(Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that
                              >don't yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think
                              >it's consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while
                              >simultaneously dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I
                              >mean, if you want to get picky ... <grin>...)

                              LOL! When has the American English ever been consistent?
                              Furthermore, "ya'll" and "a-couple-a-three" (sp) is *perfect*
                              English in the South! Where as "you all" and "two or three" would
                              be considered a foreign language like they speak in the North! <vbg>

                              Actually, I picked up eMail off Cindy Goss years+ ago during one
                              of the early NoteTab updates when she suggested to Eric to spell
                              it that way because it looked neat/kewl. :) I thought so too and
                              never stopped using it. Eric did tell us that he needed to stick
                              to the common or correct spelling or something like that. Who
                              decided for us that e-mail was "correct" anyhow? ;) ...and, I bet
                              this does not work: ^!e-mail <vbg>.

                              ...and Dr. Paul says, "Oh, that glossary!" ;)

                              All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                            • Jeff Scism
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                                Is it "The Moon" or "the Moon", or just "Luna"?

                                Is it "The Earth", "he Earth" or just "Gaia"?

                                Is it "The Sun", "the Sun" or just "Sol"?

                                Semantics can be just as personal in use as your name.
                                --
                                ~~