Re: [NTO] LOL, OTOH, IMO, FWIW, FYI, ROTL, etc...

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
      AFAIK as far as I know
      IMNSHO in my not so humble opinion
      KIS keep it simple
      KISS keep it simple, stupid
      RTFM read the flamin' manual (or other word beginning with "f")

      Dave S

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
        I tend to use WYSIWYNG where the "N" is an ungrammatical "not" when referring to M$ tendency to vary the output slightly depending on the printer involved. :-)

        Dave S

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
          Jody,
          "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
          done.
          BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

          Mike Hopkins
          ironmike@...

          What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
          release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
            Jody wrote:
            > Hi All,
            >
            > Don't everybody reply at once now. :)
            >
            > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
            > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

            Jody,

            What about, Acronyms - Email/Internet?

            hrs
          • rbmooney
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
              Jody,
              I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever way
              you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word "e-mail"
              at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
              "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S the
              last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
              appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
              Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.

              R. Blake Mooney
              rbmooney@...

              > "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
              > done.
              > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !
              >
              > Mike Hopkins
              > ironmike@...

            • Christine
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                Not "Netspeak?"

                C.
              • rbmooney
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Neil,
                  My toe woke me up! Then I saw this and said one should help the world as much as possible. So I sent Jody's fav daily "code" onto you so that maybe a ground-swell of interest would fevelop and mankind could finally move ahead on some one front. DL...INTIOTM. Even If those 2 are combined they are still pronounced dill-inn-tee-OT-em. DL-INTIOTM = don't laugh-in the interest of the many. ICBBWWBKIAM-M = I-can't-believe-Bush-will-win-because-Kerry-is-a-micro-manager.

                  After soaking my toe for 15 mins than applying this super anti-biotic drops on it I'll drop off the CEPHALEXIN. Get any anti-histamine and combine the 2 but JIC (just in case) you haven't I'll bring along 6 excellent CLARITIN tabs to take one per day for 6 days until the infection/allergy is broken up enough for your immune system to kick in. And I'd still take the CEPHLEXIN as: two 500MG caps each day for 10 da ys as the "infection" is not that severe so as to produce all 3 legs of the infection triad" swelling, pain, and fever.
                  Blake
                  ©¿©

                  R. Blake Mooney
                  rbmooney@...

                  You don't have to be politically savvy to know
                  Bush/Cheney/Ashcroft is a quick trip to a
                  Military/Industrial police state. Like it or not
                  but a police state is a terror state.

                  What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                  release for eMail/Internet acronyms? And, what are the most
                  commonly used (or a link to them). And... what is "gospel" as far
                  as when you've heard 'em two ways like the one below, IMHO - or
                  is that a whatever,... Jody!? ;)

                  LOL = laughing out loud
                  OTOH = on the other hand
                  IMO = in my opinion
                  IMHO = in my humble opinion, in my honest
                  FWIW = for what it's worth
                  FYI = for your information
                  ROFL = rolling on the floor laughing (a.k.a ROTFL)

                  and then there's:

                  <g> = grin
                  <bg> = big grin
                  <vbg> = very big grin

                  ...and no need to get into all the many faces...
                  ;-> :) 8D ê¿ê ©¿© (:?Þ) >:-0

                  See ya in the funnies!

                  http://www.clean-funnies.com

                  you missed a good joke! 8D

                  The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                  http://www.notetab.net

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • rbmooney
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                    Sorry for the careless routing of my previous e-mail wherein I really went
                    off-topic.
                    Blake
                    rbmooney@...

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                      > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that
                      > e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

                      So does mine, but I haven't been able to convince M$ spell checkers to accept it. :-(

                      Dave S

                      What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                      release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                      ---

                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                        Jody:

                        When you put the Whatchamacallit Glossary entry together it might be worth
                        including a link to http://acronymfinder.com/ so readers can find any you've
                        missed themselves.

                        Regards ... Alec

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                          E-Mail or e-mail or email or eMail or e-Mail or any other derivation you can
                          think of really doesn't matter a damn. Everyone knows what you mean
                          whichever way you express it and communication is the all important aspect,
                          nothing else.

                          Take care. Barry UK

                          > I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever
                          way
                          > you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word
                          "e-mail"
                          > at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
                          > "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S
                          the
                          > last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
                          > appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
                          > Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.
                          >
                          > R. Blake Mooney
                          > rbmooney@...

                        • Dr. Paul Harder
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                            On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:22:46 -0500, you wrote:

                            > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                            > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                            Jody:

                            I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short enough
                            (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went to look at the
                            glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're speaking about the
                            spelling checker dictionaries, not the cliplibs.

                            I discovered that it has been so long since I've ever tried using
                            NoteTab's spelling checker (I don't often edit anything but program code
                            in NoteTab) that, what with any number of installings, uninstallings,
                            reinstallings, upgrades and moving to a new computer, I don't have any
                            dictionary files on my machine. I seem to remember that Eric had some
                            available for download from his website, so I went looking. Can't find
                            any. I'm sure I've got some on a CD around here somewhere, but who knows
                            where I stored it in the Archaeological Filing System?

                            What do the other glossary names look like?

                            (Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that don't
                            yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think it's
                            consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while simultaneously
                            dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I mean, if you want to get
                            picky ... <grin>...)

                            Regards,
                            Paul

                            (Still lurking but too busy lately to chime in)

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                              Jody,
                              You missed the one I prefer to use: IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble
                              Opinion.
                              Ed

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                                Hi Dr. Paul, and All Others,

                                Thanks everybody for all the posts - seen enough now. ;)

                                >> What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                                >> release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
                                >
                                >I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short
                                >enough (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went
                                >to look at the glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're
                                >speaking about the spelling checker dictionaries, not the
                                >cliplibs.
                                >
                                >What do the other glossary names look like?

                                Click on Help | NoteTab Glossary... You're listed in the
                                Acknowledgements section, but we want mention it to anybody less
                                they think your memory is failing. ;)

                                >(Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that
                                >don't yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think
                                >it's consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while
                                >simultaneously dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I
                                >mean, if you want to get picky ... <grin>...)

                                LOL! When has the American English ever been consistent?
                                Furthermore, "ya'll" and "a-couple-a-three" (sp) is *perfect*
                                English in the South! Where as "you all" and "two or three" would
                                be considered a foreign language like they speak in the North! <vbg>

                                Actually, I picked up eMail off Cindy Goss years+ ago during one
                                of the early NoteTab updates when she suggested to Eric to spell
                                it that way because it looked neat/kewl. :) I thought so too and
                                never stopped using it. Eric did tell us that he needed to stick
                                to the common or correct spelling or something like that. Who
                                decided for us that e-mail was "correct" anyhow? ;) ...and, I bet
                                this does not work: ^!e-mail <vbg>.

                                ...and Dr. Paul says, "Oh, that glossary!" ;)

                                All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                              • Jeff Scism
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  Is it "The Moon" or "the Moon", or just "Luna"?

                                  Is it "The Earth", "he Earth" or just "Gaia"?

                                  Is it "The Sun", "the Sun" or just "Sol"?

                                  Semantics can be just as personal in use as your name.
                                  --
                                  ~~