Re: [NTO] LOL, OTOH, IMO, FWIW, FYI, ROTL, etc...

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1 9:53 PM
      all the funny faces are usually called "Emoticons"

      The acronyms are "Internet shorthand".

      I just call it alphabet soup.

      BUT IMHO IWTWSUT,AIGTC. (I would think they would stop using them, as I
      get too confused) KWIM? (Know what I mean?)

      I do however hate WYSIWYG and every time I see it, I just add that
      message to my delete...which is TOO full of Composer generated HTML
      files and Microsoft excess codes.

      I vote that WYSIWYG be changed to "WYSIPG" What you see is "Pure Garbage".
      --
      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

      "Just the facts, maam."
      Sgt. Joe Friday,
      LAPD Badge #714

      Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
      VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

      Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1 10:05 PM
        AFAIK as far as I know
        IMNSHO in my not so humble opinion
        KIS keep it simple
        KISS keep it simple, stupid
        RTFM read the flamin' manual (or other word beginning with "f")

        Dave S

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1 10:09 PM
          I tend to use WYSIWYNG where the "N" is an ungrammatical "not" when referring to M$ tendency to vary the output slightly depending on the printer involved. :-)

          Dave S

          all the funny faces are usually called "Emoticons"

          The acronyms are "Internet shorthand".

          I just call it alphabet soup.

          BUT IMHO IWTWSUT,AIGTC. (I would think they would stop using them, as I
          get too confused) KWIM? (Know what I mean?)

          I do however hate WYSIWYG and every time I see it, I just add that
          message to my delete...which is TOO full of Composer generated HTML
          files and Microsoft excess codes.

          I vote that WYSIWYG be changed to "WYSIPG" What you see is "Pure Garbage".
          --
          ~~

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          "Just the facts, maam."
          Sgt. Joe Friday,
          LAPD Badge #714

          Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
          VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

          Jimmy Hoffa, 1960

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          ---

        • Mike Hopkins
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1 10:53 PM
            Jody,
            "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
            done.
            BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

            Mike Hopkins
            ironmike@...

            What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
            release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1 11:35 PM
              Jody wrote:
              > Hi All,
              >
              > Don't everybody reply at once now. :)
              >
              > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
              > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

              Jody,

              What about, Acronyms - Email/Internet?

              hrs
            • rbmooney
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1 11:51 PM
                Jody,
                I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever way
                you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word "e-mail"
                at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
                "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S the
                last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
                appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
                Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.

                R. Blake Mooney
                rbmooney@...

                > "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
                > done.
                > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !
                >
                > Mike Hopkins
                > ironmike@...

              • Christine
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2 12:04 AM
                  Not "Netspeak?"

                  C.
                • rbmooney
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2 12:19 AM
                    Neil,
                    My toe woke me up! Then I saw this and said one should help the world as much as possible. So I sent Jody's fav daily "code" onto you so that maybe a ground-swell of interest would fevelop and mankind could finally move ahead on some one front. DL...INTIOTM. Even If those 2 are combined they are still pronounced dill-inn-tee-OT-em. DL-INTIOTM = don't laugh-in the interest of the many. ICBBWWBKIAM-M = I-can't-believe-Bush-will-win-because-Kerry-is-a-micro-manager.

                    After soaking my toe for 15 mins than applying this super anti-biotic drops on it I'll drop off the CEPHALEXIN. Get any anti-histamine and combine the 2 but JIC (just in case) you haven't I'll bring along 6 excellent CLARITIN tabs to take one per day for 6 days until the infection/allergy is broken up enough for your immune system to kick in. And I'd still take the CEPHLEXIN as: two 500MG caps each day for 10 da ys as the "infection" is not that severe so as to produce all 3 legs of the infection triad" swelling, pain, and fever.
                    Blake
                    ©¿©

                    R. Blake Mooney
                    rbmooney@...

                    You don't have to be politically savvy to know
                    Bush/Cheney/Ashcroft is a quick trip to a
                    Military/Industrial police state. Like it or not
                    but a police state is a terror state.

                    What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                    release for eMail/Internet acronyms? And, what are the most
                    commonly used (or a link to them). And... what is "gospel" as far
                    as when you've heard 'em two ways like the one below, IMHO - or
                    is that a whatever,... Jody!? ;)

                    LOL = laughing out loud
                    OTOH = on the other hand
                    IMO = in my opinion
                    IMHO = in my humble opinion, in my honest
                    FWIW = for what it's worth
                    FYI = for your information
                    ROFL = rolling on the floor laughing (a.k.a ROTFL)

                    and then there's:

                    <g> = grin
                    <bg> = big grin
                    <vbg> = very big grin

                    ...and no need to get into all the many faces...
                    ;-> :) 8D ê¿ê ©¿© (:?Þ) >:-0

                    See ya in the funnies!

                    http://www.clean-funnies.com

                    you missed a good joke! 8D

                    The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                    http://www.notetab.net

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • rbmooney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2 12:49 AM
                      Sorry for the careless routing of my previous e-mail wherein I really went
                      off-topic.
                      Blake
                      rbmooney@...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2 1:57 AM
                        > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that
                        > e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

                        So does mine, but I haven't been able to convince M$ spell checkers to accept it. :-(

                        Dave S

                        What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                        release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                        ---

                      • Alec Burgess
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2 3:20 AM
                          Jody:

                          When you put the Whatchamacallit Glossary entry together it might be worth
                          including a link to http://acronymfinder.com/ so readers can find any you've
                          missed themselves.

                          Regards ... Alec

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2 4:39 AM
                            E-Mail or e-mail or email or eMail or e-Mail or any other derivation you can
                            think of really doesn't matter a damn. Everyone knows what you mean
                            whichever way you express it and communication is the all important aspect,
                            nothing else.

                            Take care. Barry UK

                            > I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever
                            way
                            > you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word
                            "e-mail"
                            > at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
                            > "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S
                            the
                            > last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
                            > appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
                            > Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.
                            >
                            > R. Blake Mooney
                            > rbmooney@...

                          • Dr. Paul Harder
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2 5:41 AM
                              On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:22:46 -0500, you wrote:

                              > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                              > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                              Jody:

                              I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short enough
                              (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went to look at the
                              glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're speaking about the
                              spelling checker dictionaries, not the cliplibs.

                              I discovered that it has been so long since I've ever tried using
                              NoteTab's spelling checker (I don't often edit anything but program code
                              in NoteTab) that, what with any number of installings, uninstallings,
                              reinstallings, upgrades and moving to a new computer, I don't have any
                              dictionary files on my machine. I seem to remember that Eric had some
                              available for download from his website, so I went looking. Can't find
                              any. I'm sure I've got some on a CD around here somewhere, but who knows
                              where I stored it in the Archaeological Filing System?

                              What do the other glossary names look like?

                              (Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that don't
                              yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think it's
                              consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while simultaneously
                              dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I mean, if you want to get
                              picky ... <grin>...)

                              Regards,
                              Paul

                              (Still lurking but too busy lately to chime in)

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2 6:23 AM
                                Jody,
                                You missed the one I prefer to use: IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble
                                Opinion.
                                Ed

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 2 7:45 PM
                                  Hi Dr. Paul, and All Others,

                                  Thanks everybody for all the posts - seen enough now. ;)

                                  >> What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                                  >> release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
                                  >
                                  >I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short
                                  >enough (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went
                                  >to look at the glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're
                                  >speaking about the spelling checker dictionaries, not the
                                  >cliplibs.
                                  >
                                  >What do the other glossary names look like?

                                  Click on Help | NoteTab Glossary... You're listed in the
                                  Acknowledgements section, but we want mention it to anybody less
                                  they think your memory is failing. ;)

                                  >(Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that
                                  >don't yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think
                                  >it's consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while
                                  >simultaneously dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I
                                  >mean, if you want to get picky ... <grin>...)

                                  LOL! When has the American English ever been consistent?
                                  Furthermore, "ya'll" and "a-couple-a-three" (sp) is *perfect*
                                  English in the South! Where as "you all" and "two or three" would
                                  be considered a foreign language like they speak in the North! <vbg>

                                  Actually, I picked up eMail off Cindy Goss years+ ago during one
                                  of the early NoteTab updates when she suggested to Eric to spell
                                  it that way because it looked neat/kewl. :) I thought so too and
                                  never stopped using it. Eric did tell us that he needed to stick
                                  to the common or correct spelling or something like that. Who
                                  decided for us that e-mail was "correct" anyhow? ;) ...and, I bet
                                  this does not work: ^!e-mail <vbg>.

                                  ...and Dr. Paul says, "Oh, that glossary!" ;)

                                  All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                                • Jeff Scism
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 2 8:41 PM
                                    Is it "The Moon" or "the Moon", or just "Luna"?

                                    Is it "The Earth", "he Earth" or just "Gaia"?

                                    Is it "The Sun", "the Sun" or just "Sol"?

                                    Semantics can be just as personal in use as your name.
                                    --
                                    ~~