Re: [NTO] Files to CD-R

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi Jeff,

      I made the CD as prescribed and it worked. I was messing around
      in Computer Management trying to figure out how to get rid of the
      XP Themes and Appearance when I click on my Control Panel and.
      well other than wanting to get rid of that... I ran across the
      area again where you can Remove, Assign, etc. drives letters. All
      that to say, make sure your CD drive have a letter assigned to
      it. <g> Perhaps that is why you are getting the no page found
      error. You can open it from where you copied it to CD from,
      correct?

      >Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file contains:
      > [autorun]
      > shellexecute=index.html
      >and it doesn't "autorun"
      > However it comes up page not found...

      If you are getting the page not found message I would think it is
      running as far as autorun goes. ;) A lot of times the CDs I burn
      won't run on my burner drive until I reboot. It is an older
      drive, but I've never had any problems with bad CDs, so I don't
      dare get another. <g> Does it work after you reboot? I guess
      something doesn't know where your CD is. ;) I'll burn one later
      to see if it works for me. What Windows OS are you on, that might
      make a difference?

      All Fookes Software mailing lists:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
        I am using NERO express to Burn, On Win98se, with 386 RAM, and 76 Gigs
        on HD, so no memory probs involved.

        When I load the CD it opens the cd DIRECTORY, but NOT the Index.html
        page, which does open if you click on it.

        Jeff
        --
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        "Just the facts, maam."
        Sgt. Joe Friday,
        LAPD Badge #714

        Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
        VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

        Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
          I have TWO cds on teh system,. D drivew is a CD-R/CDRW
          and E drive is a CD-Rom, in addition I have B drive as a 100mb Zip
          drive, and of course A is a floppy.
          F Drive is my wife's C drive on her networked laptop.

          --
          ~~

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
            Hi Jeff,

            You have memory problems; that's a Win98 given. <g>

            If I an not mistaken, Win98 doesn't support the shellexecute
            command in autorun.

            > Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file contains:
            > [autorun]
            > shellexecute=index.html
            > and it doesn't "autorun"
            > However it comes up page not found...

            >I am using NERO express to Burn, On Win98se, with 386 RAM, and 76 Gigs
            >on HD, so no memory probs involved.
            >
            >When I load the CD it opens the cd DIRECTORY, but NOT the Index.html
            >page, which does open if you click on it.

            All Fookes Software mailing lists:
            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
              Jeff Scism wrote:
              > Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:
              >
              > [autorun]
              > shellexecute=index.html
              >
              > and it doesn't "autorun"
              >
              > It seems something should be telling the CD reader to execute the
              > Autorun process
              >
              > (Index.html IS in the same directory as teh autorun.inf, the Cd's root
              > directory.)

              Jeff,

              Try creating a new autorun.inf using "open=filename.exe" as below. I
              don't know if "open=filename.html" will work but, it won't cost much to
              try it.

              [autorun]
              open=filename.exe

              hrs
            • Jeff Scism

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Hi Harvey, Jeff, Others...

                  I tried that (open=index.htm) one back on my Win98 machine to
                  open with an index.htm years back and it didn't work. I believe
                  that is when I also tried the shellexecute=index.htm which didn't
                  work either on Win98. But, you are correct that it doesn't cost
                  much. :)

                  I look for specials all the time on pricewatch.com and eBay. With
                  shipping costs I can usually get 100 bulk pack of blank CD-R (no
                  branding such as manufacturers name on the CD) for $.20-$0.25 a
                  CD-R. (Grade A quality 48-52x silver on blue or silver on silver
                  which is actually silver on green) I also like to buy other
                  shipping or label supplies in the same order to save on shipping
                  costs. Normally you can add other items in the order for pennies
                  more in shipping, if anything whereas if you order them
                  separately there seems to be like a minimum shipping cost. So,
                  separately you might pay $5.95 for 100 CD labels, but if added in
                  with say 100 blank CD-R there might be a charge or $0.00-$1.00 or
                  so more. It really pays to shop around for CD-R duplication
                  products: media, labels, inserts, cases, mailers, etc. When doing
                  so on eBay.com or PriceWatch.com pay attention the the Feedback
                  given to the company. Not all negative feedback is justifiable
                  either, IMO. Also, before ordering, make sure you check out
                  shipping charges and prices on other products from the same
                  company/seller. You'll nearly always come out better buying from
                  the same company if you can find one that have good prices all
                  the way across the board and not just on their special.

                  This is the accepted format for all Windows OS'.
                  [autorun]
                  open=filename.exe
                  icon=filename.ico

                  I don't think it is a legitimate command:
                  [autorun]
                  open=index.htm

                  I believe that this is for Win2000 and above:
                  [autorun]
                  shellexecute=index.htm

                  >> Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:
                  >> [autorun]
                  >> shellexecute=index.html
                  >> and it doesn't "autorun"
                  >> (Index.html IS in the same directory as teh autorun.inf, the Cd's root
                  >> directory.)
                  >
                  >Jeff,
                  >
                  >Try creating a new autorun.inf using "open=filename.exe" as
                  >below. I don't know if "open=filename.html" will work but, it
                  >won't cost much to try it.
                  >
                  >[autorun]
                  >open=filename.exe

                  bcnu,