LOL, OTOH, IMO, FWIW, FYI, ROTL, etc...

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi All,

      Don't everybody reply at once now. :)

      What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
      release for eMail/Internet acronyms? And, what are the most
      commonly used (or a link to them). And... what is "gospel" as far
      as when you've heard 'em two ways like the one below, IMHO - or
      is that a whatever,... Jody!? ;)

      LOL = laughing out loud
      OTOH = on the other hand
      IMO = in my opinion
      IMHO = in my humble opinion, in my honest
      FWIW = for what it's worth
      FYI = for your information
      ROFL = rolling on the floor laughing (a.k.a ROTFL)

      and then there's:

      <g> = grin
      <bg> = big grin
      <vbg> = very big grin

      ...and no need to get into all the many faces...
      ;-> :) 8D ê¿ê ©¿© (:?Þ) >:-0

      See ya in the funnies!

      http://www.clean-funnies.com

      you missed a good joke! 8D

      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
      http://www.notetab.net

    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
        all the funny faces are usually called "Emoticons"

        The acronyms are "Internet shorthand".

        I just call it alphabet soup.

        BUT IMHO IWTWSUT,AIGTC. (I would think they would stop using them, as I
        get too confused) KWIM? (Know what I mean?)

        I do however hate WYSIWYG and every time I see it, I just add that
        message to my delete...which is TOO full of Composer generated HTML
        files and Microsoft excess codes.

        I vote that WYSIWYG be changed to "WYSIPG" What you see is "Pure Garbage".
        --
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        "Just the facts, maam."
        Sgt. Joe Friday,
        LAPD Badge #714

        Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
        VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

        Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
          AFAIK as far as I know
          IMNSHO in my not so humble opinion
          KIS keep it simple
          KISS keep it simple, stupid
          RTFM read the flamin' manual (or other word beginning with "f")

          Dave S

          What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
          release for eMail/Internet acronyms? And, what are the most
          commonly used (or a link to them). And... what is "gospel" as far
          as when you've heard 'em two ways like the one below, IMHO - or
          is that a whatever,... Jody!? ;)

          LOL = laughing out loud
          OTOH = on the other hand
          IMO = in my opinion
          IMHO = in my humble opinion, in my honest
          FWIW = for what it's worth
          FYI = for your information
          ROFL = rolling on the floor laughing (a.k.a ROTFL)

          and then there's:

          <g> = grin
          <bg> = big grin
          <vbg> = very big grin

          ...and no need to get into all the many faces...
          ;-> :) 8D ê¿ê ©¿© (:?Þ) >:-0

          See ya in the funnies!
          Jody

          ---

        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
            I tend to use WYSIWYNG where the "N" is an ungrammatical "not" when referring to M$ tendency to vary the output slightly depending on the printer involved. :-)

            Dave S

            all the funny faces are usually called "Emoticons"

            The acronyms are "Internet shorthand".

            I just call it alphabet soup.

            BUT IMHO IWTWSUT,AIGTC. (I would think they would stop using them, as I
            get too confused) KWIM? (Know what I mean?)

            I do however hate WYSIWYG and every time I see it, I just add that
            message to my delete...which is TOO full of Composer generated HTML
            files and Microsoft excess codes.

            I vote that WYSIWYG be changed to "WYSIPG" What you see is "Pure Garbage".
            --
            ~~

            Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

            "Just the facts, maam."
            Sgt. Joe Friday,
            LAPD Badge #714

            Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
            VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

            Jimmy Hoffa, 1960

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            ---

          • Mike Hopkins
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
              Jody,
              "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
              done.
              BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

              Mike Hopkins
              ironmike@...

              What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
              release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
                Jody wrote:
                > Hi All,
                >
                > Don't everybody reply at once now. :)
                >
                > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                Jody,

                What about, Acronyms - Email/Internet?

                hrs
              • rbmooney
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Jody,
                  I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever way
                  you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word "e-mail"
                  at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
                  "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S the
                  last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
                  appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
                  Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.

                  R. Blake Mooney
                  rbmooney@...

                  > "Email/Internet Acronyms" sounds good to me. Short, clear, gets the job
                  > done.
                  > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !
                  >
                  > Mike Hopkins
                  > ironmike@...

                • Christine
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                    Not "Netspeak?"

                    C.
                  • rbmooney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                      Neil,
                      My toe woke me up! Then I saw this and said one should help the world as much as possible. So I sent Jody's fav daily "code" onto you so that maybe a ground-swell of interest would fevelop and mankind could finally move ahead on some one front. DL...INTIOTM. Even If those 2 are combined they are still pronounced dill-inn-tee-OT-em. DL-INTIOTM = don't laugh-in the interest of the many. ICBBWWBKIAM-M = I-can't-believe-Bush-will-win-because-Kerry-is-a-micro-manager.

                      After soaking my toe for 15 mins than applying this super anti-biotic drops on it I'll drop off the CEPHALEXIN. Get any anti-histamine and combine the 2 but JIC (just in case) you haven't I'll bring along 6 excellent CLARITIN tabs to take one per day for 6 days until the infection/allergy is broken up enough for your immune system to kick in. And I'd still take the CEPHLEXIN as: two 500MG caps each day for 10 da ys as the "infection" is not that severe so as to produce all 3 legs of the infection triad" swelling, pain, and fever.
                      Blake
                      ©¿©

                      R. Blake Mooney
                      rbmooney@...

                      You don't have to be politically savvy to know
                      Bush/Cheney/Ashcroft is a quick trip to a
                      Military/Industrial police state. Like it or not
                      but a police state is a terror state.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                        Sorry for the careless routing of my previous e-mail wherein I really went
                        off-topic.
                        Blake
                        rbmooney@...

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                          > BTW, my journalistic streak DEMANDS that
                          > e-mail be spelled "e-mail" !

                          So does mine, but I haven't been able to convince M$ spell checkers to accept it. :-(

                          Dave S

                          What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                          release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                          ---

                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                            Jody:

                            When you put the Whatchamacallit Glossary entry together it might be worth
                            including a link to http://acronymfinder.com/ so readers can find any you've
                            missed themselves.

                            Regards ... Alec

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                              E-Mail or e-mail or email or eMail or e-Mail or any other derivation you can
                              think of really doesn't matter a damn. Everyone knows what you mean
                              whichever way you express it and communication is the all important aspect,
                              nothing else.

                              Take care. Barry UK

                              > I have seven diff. style books here suggesting "consistency in whatever
                              way
                              > you use" the exclamation mark, and I notice that you write the word
                              "e-mail"
                              > at the end of your sentence as "e-mail" !. I've tried everything with the
                              > "!" mark like w/quotes, w/o quotes, "!" inside the last quote mark, O/S
                              the
                              > last quote mark, w/o a space and with a space as you've done. I'd
                              > appreciate the ruling on your use with the source. TFM. ("Tain't funny
                              > Magee," from Fibber Magee and Molly's, 40's radio show.
                              >
                              > R. Blake Mooney
                              > rbmooney@...

                            • Dr. Paul Harder
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                                On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:22:46 -0500, you wrote:

                                > What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                                > release for eMail/Internet acronyms?

                                Jody:

                                I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short enough
                                (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went to look at the
                                glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're speaking about the
                                spelling checker dictionaries, not the cliplibs.

                                I discovered that it has been so long since I've ever tried using
                                NoteTab's spelling checker (I don't often edit anything but program code
                                in NoteTab) that, what with any number of installings, uninstallings,
                                reinstallings, upgrades and moving to a new computer, I don't have any
                                dictionary files on my machine. I seem to remember that Eric had some
                                available for download from his website, so I went looking. Can't find
                                any. I'm sure I've got some on a CD around here somewhere, but who knows
                                where I stored it in the Archaeological Filing System?

                                What do the other glossary names look like?

                                (Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that don't
                                yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think it's
                                consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while simultaneously
                                dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I mean, if you want to get
                                picky ... <grin>...)

                                Regards,
                                Paul

                                (Still lurking but too busy lately to chime in)

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  Jody,
                                  You missed the one I prefer to use: IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble
                                  Opinion.
                                  Ed

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                                    Hi Dr. Paul, and All Others,

                                    Thanks everybody for all the posts - seen enough now. ;)

                                    >> What would be a good heading name for NoteTab's Glossary's next
                                    >> release for eMail/Internet acronyms?
                                    >
                                    >I was wondering about whether "eMail/Internet acronyms" is short
                                    >enough (regardless of how you care to spell "email"), so I went
                                    >to look at the glossaries I've got loaded now. I assume you're
                                    >speaking about the spelling checker dictionaries, not the
                                    >cliplibs.
                                    >
                                    >What do the other glossary names look like?

                                    Click on Help | NoteTab Glossary... You're listed in the
                                    Acknowledgements section, but we want mention it to anybody less
                                    they think your memory is failing. ;)

                                    >(Parenthetic note to those who care about how to spell words that
                                    >don't yet have standard dictionary spellings: Do you really think
                                    >it's consistent to insist on typing "e-mail" messages while
                                    >simultaneously dialing the phone to check your "voicemail"? I
                                    >mean, if you want to get picky ... <grin>...)

                                    LOL! When has the American English ever been consistent?
                                    Furthermore, "ya'll" and "a-couple-a-three" (sp) is *perfect*
                                    English in the South! Where as "you all" and "two or three" would
                                    be considered a foreign language like they speak in the North! <vbg>

                                    Actually, I picked up eMail off Cindy Goss years+ ago during one
                                    of the early NoteTab updates when she suggested to Eric to spell
                                    it that way because it looked neat/kewl. :) I thought so too and
                                    never stopped using it. Eric did tell us that he needed to stick
                                    to the common or correct spelling or something like that. Who
                                    decided for us that e-mail was "correct" anyhow? ;) ...and, I bet
                                    this does not work: ^!e-mail <vbg>.

                                    ...and Dr. Paul says, "Oh, that glossary!" ;)

                                    All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                                  • Jeff Scism
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                                      Is it "The Moon" or "the Moon", or just "Luna"?

                                      Is it "The Earth", "he Earth" or just "Gaia"?

                                      Is it "The Sun", "the Sun" or just "Sol"?

                                      Semantics can be just as personal in use as your name.
                                      --
                                      ~~