Re: [NTO] Files to CD-R

  • Steve Veltkamp
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
      I'm replying off-list because I can't get stupid Yahoo to accept my
      username/password

      I do however have it so website autoloads from CD, just as you want. The
      program you want is Karen's Powertool PTAutorun, at:

      http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp

      Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> said:

      > I would like to place my websites on CD, for distribution, although It
      > is easy to move the files ( I use NERO express) I want the CD to be
      > self-opening on the Index page of the user's browser when they insert
      > it. ( just like going to the site), A set has already been sent out,
      > but some people have no concept on how to BROWSE to the opening page and
      > execute it, I need "idiot proof" (aol level) useability.
      >
      > This requires a additional program included (that I don't have) that
      > allows this to happen, anyone have any ideas on how to set this up?
      > --
      > ~~
      >
      > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
      >
      > "Just the facts, maam."
      > Sgt. Joe Friday,
      > LAPD Badge #714
      >
      > Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
      > VOTE for the candidate of your choice.
      >
      > Jimmy Hoffa, 1960

      For mutual success, Steve Veltkamp, BizShop President
      1713 E 3rd St, Pt Angeles, WA 98362
      Ph: 360-452-2418 Sales: 800-949-8029 Fax: 530-690-7531
      http://bizshop.com http://webmasterbiz.com http://pilers.com
      Your success shop!
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
        Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:

        [autorun]
        shellexecute=index.html

        )

        and it doesn't "autorun"

        It seems something should be telling the CD reader to execute the
        Autorun process

        (Index.html IS in the same directory as teh autorun.inf, the Cd's root
        directory.)
        --
        ~~

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
            Hi Jeff,

            >Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:
            > [autorun]
            > shellexecute=index.html
            >and it doesn't "autorun"
            > However it comes up page not found...

            If you are getting the page not found message I would think it is
            running as far as autorun goes. ;) A lot of times the CDs I burn
            won't run on my burner drive until I reboot. It is an older
            drive, but I've never had any problems with bad CDs, so I don't
            dare get another. <g> Does it work after you reboot? I guess
            something doesn't know where your CD is. ;) I'll burn one later
            to see if it works for me. What Windows OS are you on, that might
            make a difference?

            All Fookes Software mailing lists:
            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
              Hi Jeff,

              I made the CD as prescribed and it worked. I was messing around
              in Computer Management trying to figure out how to get rid of the
              XP Themes and Appearance when I click on my Control Panel and.
              well other than wanting to get rid of that... I ran across the
              area again where you can Remove, Assign, etc. drives letters. All
              that to say, make sure your CD drive have a letter assigned to
              it. <g> Perhaps that is why you are getting the no page found
              error. You can open it from where you copied it to CD from,
              correct?

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                I am using NERO express to Burn, On Win98se, with 386 RAM, and 76 Gigs
                on HD, so no memory probs involved.

                When I load the CD it opens the cd DIRECTORY, but NOT the Index.html
                page, which does open if you click on it.

                Jeff
                --
                ~~

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                  I have TWO cds on teh system,. D drivew is a CD-R/CDRW
                  and E drive is a CD-Rom, in addition I have B drive as a 100mb Zip
                  drive, and of course A is a floppy.
                  F Drive is my wife's C drive on her networked laptop.

                  --
                  ~~

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                    Hi Jeff,

                    You have memory problems; that's a Win98 given. <g>

                    If I an not mistaken, Win98 doesn't support the shellexecute
                    command in autorun.

                    > Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file contains:
                    > [autorun]
                    > shellexecute=index.html
                    > and it doesn't "autorun"
                    > However it comes up page not found...

                    >I am using NERO express to Burn, On Win98se, with 386 RAM, and 76 Gigs
                    >on HD, so no memory probs involved.
                    >
                    >When I load the CD it opens the cd DIRECTORY, but NOT the Index.html
                    >page, which does open if you click on it.

                    All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                      Jeff Scism wrote:
                      > Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:
                      >
                      > [autorun]
                      > shellexecute=index.html
                      >
                      > and it doesn't "autorun"
                      >
                      > It seems something should be telling the CD reader to execute the
                      > Autorun process
                      >
                      > (Index.html IS in the same directory as teh autorun.inf, the Cd's root
                      > directory.)

                      Jeff,

                      Try creating a new autorun.inf using "open=filename.exe" as below. I
                      don't know if "open=filename.html" will work but, it won't cost much to
                      try it.

                      [autorun]
                      open=filename.exe

                      hrs
                    • Jeff Scism

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                          Hi Harvey, Jeff, Others...

                          I tried that (open=index.htm) one back on my Win98 machine to
                          open with an index.htm years back and it didn't work. I believe
                          that is when I also tried the shellexecute=index.htm which didn't
                          work either on Win98. But, you are correct that it doesn't cost
                          much. :)

                          I look for specials all the time on pricewatch.com and eBay. With
                          shipping costs I can usually get 100 bulk pack of blank CD-R (no
                          branding such as manufacturers name on the CD) for $.20-$0.25 a
                          CD-R. (Grade A quality 48-52x silver on blue or silver on silver
                          which is actually silver on green) I also like to buy other
                          shipping or label supplies in the same order to save on shipping
                          costs. Normally you can add other items in the order for pennies
                          more in shipping, if anything whereas if you order them
                          separately there seems to be like a minimum shipping cost. So,
                          separately you might pay $5.95 for 100 CD labels, but if added in
                          with say 100 blank CD-R there might be a charge or $0.00-$1.00 or
                          so more. It really pays to shop around for CD-R duplication
                          products: media, labels, inserts, cases, mailers, etc. When doing
                          so on eBay.com or PriceWatch.com pay attention the the Feedback
                          given to the company. Not all negative feedback is justifiable
                          either, IMO. Also, before ordering, make sure you check out
                          shipping charges and prices on other products from the same
                          company/seller. You'll nearly always come out better buying from
                          the same company if you can find one that have good prices all
                          the way across the board and not just on their special.

                          This is the accepted format for all Windows OS'.
                          [autorun]
                          open=filename.exe
                          icon=filename.ico

                          I don't think it is a legitimate command:
                          [autorun]
                          open=index.htm

                          I believe that this is for Win2000 and above:
                          [autorun]
                          shellexecute=index.htm

                          >> Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:
                          >> [autorun]
                          >> shellexecute=index.html
                          >> and it doesn't "autorun"
                          >> (Index.html IS in the same directory as teh autorun.inf, the Cd's root
                          >> directory.)
                          >
                          >Jeff,
                          >
                          >Try creating a new autorun.inf using "open=filename.exe" as
                          >below. I don't know if "open=filename.html" will work but, it
                          >won't cost much to try it.
                          >
                          >[autorun]
                          >open=filename.exe

                          bcnu,