Files to CD-R

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
      I would like to place my websites on CD, for distribution, although It
      is easy to move the files ( I use NERO express) I want the CD to be
      self-opening on the Index page of the user's browser when they insert
      it. ( just like going to the site), A set has already been sent out,
      but some people have no concept on how to BROWSE to the opening page and
      execute it, I need "idiot proof" (aol level) useability.

      This requires a additional program included (that I don't have) that
      allows this to happen, anyone have any ideas on how to set this up?
      --
      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

      "Just the facts, maam."
      Sgt. Joe Friday,
      LAPD Badge #714

      Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
      VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

      Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        >I would like to place my websites on CD, for distribution, although It
        >is easy to move the files ( I use NERO express) I want the CD to be
        >self-opening on the Index page of the user's browser when they insert
        >it.

        I read recently that one doesn't need a little exe, as I thought. Not tried
        but give it a go.
        http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Autorun

        If that doesn't work there seems to be a lot of proggies:
        http://www.google.com/search?&q=autorun+html+cd

        Hope it works.
        Lotta
      • Steve Veltkamp
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
          I'm replying off-list because I can't get stupid Yahoo to accept my
          username/password

          I do however have it so website autoloads from CD, just as you want. The
          program you want is Karen's Powertool PTAutorun, at:

          http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp

          Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> said:

          > I would like to place my websites on CD, for distribution, although It
          > is easy to move the files ( I use NERO express) I want the CD to be
          > self-opening on the Index page of the user's browser when they insert
          > it. ( just like going to the site), A set has already been sent out,
          > but some people have no concept on how to BROWSE to the opening page and
          > execute it, I need "idiot proof" (aol level) useability.
          >
          > This requires a additional program included (that I don't have) that
          > allows this to happen, anyone have any ideas on how to set this up?
          > --
          > ~~
          >
          > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
          >
          > "Just the facts, maam."
          > Sgt. Joe Friday,
          > LAPD Badge #714
          >
          > Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
          > VOTE for the candidate of your choice.
          >
          > Jimmy Hoffa, 1960

          For mutual success, Steve Veltkamp, BizShop President
          1713 E 3rd St, Pt Angeles, WA 98362
          Ph: 360-452-2418 Sales: 800-949-8029 Fax: 530-690-7531
          http://bizshop.com http://webmasterbiz.com http://pilers.com
          Your success shop!
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
            Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:

            [autorun]
            shellexecute=index.html

            )

            and it doesn't "autorun"

            It seems something should be telling the CD reader to execute the
            Autorun process

            (Index.html IS in the same directory as teh autorun.inf, the Cd's root
            directory.)
            --
            ~~

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                Hi Jeff,

                >Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:
                > [autorun]
                > shellexecute=index.html
                >and it doesn't "autorun"
                > However it comes up page not found...

                If you are getting the page not found message I would think it is
                running as far as autorun goes. ;) A lot of times the CDs I burn
                won't run on my burner drive until I reboot. It is an older
                drive, but I've never had any problems with bad CDs, so I don't
                dare get another. <g> Does it work after you reboot? I guess
                something doesn't know where your CD is. ;) I'll burn one later
                to see if it works for me. What Windows OS are you on, that might
                make a difference?

                All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Hi Jeff,

                  I made the CD as prescribed and it worked. I was messing around
                  in Computer Management trying to figure out how to get rid of the
                  XP Themes and Appearance when I click on my Control Panel and.
                  well other than wanting to get rid of that... I ran across the
                  area again where you can Remove, Assign, etc. drives letters. All
                  that to say, make sure your CD drive have a letter assigned to
                  it. <g> Perhaps that is why you are getting the no page found
                  error. You can open it from where you copied it to CD from,
                  correct?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                    I am using NERO express to Burn, On Win98se, with 386 RAM, and 76 Gigs
                    on HD, so no memory probs involved.

                    When I load the CD it opens the cd DIRECTORY, but NOT the Index.html
                    page, which does open if you click on it.

                    Jeff
                    --
                    ~~

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                      I have TWO cds on teh system,. D drivew is a CD-R/CDRW
                      and E drive is a CD-Rom, in addition I have B drive as a 100mb Zip
                      drive, and of course A is a floppy.
                      F Drive is my wife's C drive on her networked laptop.

                      --
                      ~~

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                        Hi Jeff,

                        You have memory problems; that's a Win98 given. <g>

                        If I an not mistaken, Win98 doesn't support the shellexecute
                        command in autorun.

                        > Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file contains:
                        > [autorun]
                        > shellexecute=index.html
                        > and it doesn't "autorun"
                        > However it comes up page not found...

                        >I am using NERO express to Burn, On Win98se, with 386 RAM, and 76 Gigs
                        >on HD, so no memory probs involved.
                        >
                        >When I load the CD it opens the cd DIRECTORY, but NOT the Index.html
                        >page, which does open if you click on it.

                        All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                          Jeff Scism wrote:
                          > Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:
                          >
                          > [autorun]
                          > shellexecute=index.html
                          >
                          > and it doesn't "autorun"
                          >
                          > It seems something should be telling the CD reader to execute the
                          > Autorun process
                          >
                          > (Index.html IS in the same directory as teh autorun.inf, the Cd's root
                          > directory.)

                          Jeff,

                          Try creating a new autorun.inf using "open=filename.exe" as below. I
                          don't know if "open=filename.html" will work but, it won't cost much to
                          try it.

                          [autorun]
                          open=filename.exe

                          hrs
                        • Jeff Scism

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                              Hi Harvey, Jeff, Others...

                              I tried that (open=index.htm) one back on my Win98 machine to
                              open with an index.htm years back and it didn't work. I believe
                              that is when I also tried the shellexecute=index.htm which didn't
                              work either on Win98. But, you are correct that it doesn't cost
                              much. :)

                              I look for specials all the time on pricewatch.com and eBay. With
                              shipping costs I can usually get 100 bulk pack of blank CD-R (no
                              branding such as manufacturers name on the CD) for $.20-$0.25 a
                              CD-R. (Grade A quality 48-52x silver on blue or silver on silver
                              which is actually silver on green) I also like to buy other
                              shipping or label supplies in the same order to save on shipping
                              costs. Normally you can add other items in the order for pennies
                              more in shipping, if anything whereas if you order them
                              separately there seems to be like a minimum shipping cost. So,
                              separately you might pay $5.95 for 100 CD labels, but if added in
                              with say 100 blank CD-R there might be a charge or $0.00-$1.00 or
                              so more. It really pays to shop around for CD-R duplication
                              products: media, labels, inserts, cases, mailers, etc. When doing
                              so on eBay.com or PriceWatch.com pay attention the the Feedback
                              given to the company. Not all negative feedback is justifiable
                              either, IMO. Also, before ordering, make sure you check out
                              shipping charges and prices on other products from the same
                              company/seller. You'll nearly always come out better buying from
                              the same company if you can find one that have good prices all
                              the way across the board and not just on their special.

                              This is the accepted format for all Windows OS'.
                              [autorun]
                              open=filename.exe
                              icon=filename.ico

                              I don't think it is a legitimate command:
                              [autorun]
                              open=index.htm

                              I believe that this is for Win2000 and above:
                              [autorun]
                              shellexecute=index.htm

                              >> Ok I made a CD-r with the autorun.inf file ( contains:
                              >> [autorun]
                              >> shellexecute=index.html
                              >> and it doesn't "autorun"
                              >> (Index.html IS in the same directory as teh autorun.inf, the Cd's root
                              >> directory.)
                              >
                              >Jeff,
                              >
                              >Try creating a new autorun.inf using "open=filename.exe" as
                              >below. I don't know if "open=filename.html" will work but, it
                              >won't cost much to try it.
                              >
                              >[autorun]
                              >open=filename.exe

                              bcnu,