[NTO] Re: [NH] (OT) O.S. platforms was Re: Your confirmation is needed

  • acummingsus
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25, 2004
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Scott Fordin <sfordin@o...> wrote:
      > Ed Brown wrote:
      >
      > > Scott,
      > > Good rebuttal but give me the GUI.
      > > The GUI is what makes MSWindows. I want only a workable gui. I did
      not
      > > like to use command lines in DOS and I hate them in Linux. I want see
      > > it, click on it an let'r rip. NO comand lines for the kid. So yes GUI
      > > only.

      I used to be nearly entirely that way myself up until nearly two years
      ago when I began to learn script writing ie bash shell, Perl, those
      two mostly.

      Now I have near 100 of my own custom designed scripts (some bash, some
      Perl) in my /home/myusername/bin folder.

      Burn a cd disk? No problem. if from HD to cd then I just fire up my
      Perl cdrecording script - all i need to do is issue command: cdr
      filename.iso

      pow, off goes cdburn, pumps out status data to screen while doing task
      and finishes soon.

      for cd copy, I first fire up a bash script that makes a copy of the cd
      and puts said copy onto hard disk in iso file form (it also md5sums
      the cd disk and the copied hard disk file to insure they perfect
      match). then, insert blank cdr and then merely run the Perl
      cdrecording script on that iso file.

      some very nice gui cd burners in Linux, K3b for one. K3b is in the I
      have Suse 9.1.
      But I haven't yet figured out how to setup K3b. But, when ya don't
      need the gui, ya don't need the gui. I've more important projects on
      the fore front. How to config K3b is on the back burner.

      KDE desktop is super (as someone already reported). As well as Suse
      9.1, the KDE desktop in Slackware 10 is very super except for the
      fonts in Slackware (yuck) I still learning on that one. And, in
      Slackware, you gotta like to do issuing commands which run config
      scripts (to setup how you want ie as server or desktop etc.).
      Slackware comes default as to be a server, file server, Apache WWW web
      server etc. Slackware defaults to run level 3 which is text mode,
      without gui. Can make it a rather nice desktop unit too but to do so,
      gotta dive in, change run level, xorgconfig, startx, on the GDM -
      switch it so that a user can log off and shutdown (instead of root or
      admin only). Slackware 10 comes out of the box so as to run 24/7
      wihout rebooting so's to serve up them web pages around the clock.

      I got two rss clients on my Fedora Core 1 Linux box. 1 client is
      command line (it's tough, my fingers get so tired when I type in

      news

      then strike the enter key. it then retrieves from near 12 rss sites
      and the news gets emailed to me. I retrieve my email and there is my
      rss news for me to look at (in gui at this point). It's
      powered/driven by a Perl script.

      the 2nd client is gui operated. The client is yarssr (yet another rss
      reader) its freely avail on either freshmeat or sourceforge, I forget
      which. had to install some more Perl modules and perhaps a few other
      things, might have needed to compile something from source code -- got
      it working without too much trouble though. 2nd works better on rss
      version 2.0. so client 1 draws the older rss versions, client 2 on
      sites that use rss 2.0. yarssr, for me anyways, handles 12 sites just
      fine. but, upwards of that, near 15 sites, i ran into problems (i was
      to quit my client 1 and move to yarssr - but when problems happened I
      decided just to keep both. i've near 12 or 14 sites in client 1 and
      around 10 in yarssr for a total of near 23 rss news sites.

      Linux is inherently more secure than Windows. Windows used to opt for
      useability over security (hmm, until service pack 2 for Win XP) serv
      pack 2 so huge it must nearly completely re write windows (for
      security). Linux, AFAIK, always opted for security over useability.
      Microsoft argued long and hard for useability over security -- but it
      looks they've a drop on that policy of recent times.

      But a lot of users who not know enough about security using Win box.
      their box too loose.

      if enough new users onto Linux struggled too much to obtain useability
      and without also keeping to and implementing recommended security then
      be likely Linux at that point greater problematic

      but that's unlikely. I don't see new users diving in that fast into
      intermediate and advanced config skills of Linux. Takes a while to
      learn Linux. Along the way I can't help but at leaast somewhat
      anyways get some security learning/orientation too.

      But, see, Win came out of the box like that for to make ease for non
      security experts to use it, network it, and internet it. (until
      service pack 2 for Win XP)

      times are a changing.

      Alan.