RSS feeds

  • Hugo Paulissen
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 25 1:15 AM
      I just noticed that Yahoo! offers RSS feeds for some groups. Why do
      some groups offer this where others don't?

      Hugo
    • Michael Acklin
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 25 4:47 AM
        Hugo,

        I am sure it has been offered to all groups, but not everygroup has
        had it set up yet. The Group Leader will probably have to set it all
        up and run the necessary programs to make it all work.

        Maybe not all groups want this feature.

        There are probably many more reasons for this. But let's see what Jody
        has to say.

        Happy NoteTabbing....:)

        On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:15:03 -0000, Hugo Paulissen
        <hugopaulissen@...> wrote:
        > I just noticed that Yahoo! offers RSS feeds for some groups. Why do
        > some groups offer this where others don't?
        >
        > Hugo
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jason Wellband
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 25 4:52 AM
          : From: Hugo Paulissen

          : I just noticed that Yahoo! offers RSS feeds for some groups. Why do
          : some groups offer this where others don't?
          :
          : Hugo
          :

          Hugo,

          From what I understand, the group has to have public archives and
          older groups may not have gotten an RSS feed yet - YahooGroups rolls
          new features on a "chunk" of groups at a time starting with newer
          groups.

          Hth

          Jason
        • acummingsus
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 25 6:14 PM
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Wellband"
            <jwellband-lists@c...> wrote:
            > : From: Hugo Paulissen
            >
            > : I just noticed that Yahoo! offers RSS feeds for some groups. Why do
            > : some groups offer this where others don't?
            [ . . ]
            > From what I understand, the group has to have public archives and
            > older groups may not have gotten an RSS feed yet - YahooGroups rolls
            > new features on a "chunk" of groups at a time starting with newer
            > groups.

            I checked into that a while back and found, like Jason, the feature
            be/is limited to those groups with publicly exposed archives which
            also is a group where there's no pre requisite to be a member just in
            order to view the archives.

            And that, where membership is required in order to view the archives
            it is these type of group that does not offer a rss feed. But they
            may be changing if and when though, I wouldn't know.

            Alan.
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 26 9:58 AM
              Hi Michael, Hugo, Alan, Jason, Others..., oh, U2 Julie G. ;)

              Hugo posted:
              > I just noticed that Yahoo! offers RSS feeds for some groups.
              > Why do some groups offer this where others don't?

              Michael replied:
              > I am sure it has been offered to all groups, but not everygroup
              > has had it set up yet. The Group Leader will probably have to
              > set it all up and run the necessary programs to make it all
              > work.
              > There are probably many more reasons for this. But let's see
              > what Jody has to say.

              Jody has to say: ;)
              http://www.pluck.com/ <- Freeware RSS reader, you must have to do RSS

              From what I can gather all except for a few of the Fookes
              Software sites should already be set to go. There's only a few
              private ones (maybe just 1-2); I forget. <g> From briefing a lot
              of pages it seems that the only three requirements are that you
              have a RSS reader, IE6.xx, and the group is open to the public to
              read. If I understand everything correctly we are already setup.

              instance and look under Recent Messages. If you see a small
              orange icon the with [RSS] on it, click on it or go to
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic/messages and get the
              bottom click on the icon having the text next to it,
              [RSS] Get messages in RSS

              Your Pluck reader should open in the already too extremely
              populated IE. <g> You basically get a list of messages at the top
              and when you click on one it loads in full yahoo page in the
              bottom. Sort of like a lot of eMail programs. There's a Pluck
              sidebar that gets install to IE as well. You can do different
              stuff with it one being add the RSS link to Favorites (RSS
              Reader, Add a feed). It has about 3-4 things in it, the sidebar:
              My Pluck, RSS Reader, Web Folders, Power Search.

              IMO: If you read news magazines, etc., you might find this
              useful. As far as Yahoogroups go, I cannot see much purpose for
              it myself, but I'm strictly text based eMail with yahoogroups
              messages. :). If you go to the View Toolbars in IE and hide
              everything you can, it's not too bad, actually, there's quite a
              bit of room after that. I believe for those that read their
              yahoogroups on the web, they might like this. I see it checks
              your Favorites for updates and slides up a small box in the lower
              right of any window you are in like NoteTab for instance. It may
              have been from the few I put in Favorites or it may be on the
              page I was at which was/is now the message list for this group.
              It has a pane in the sidebar for your Favorites and an icon on
              the Pluck Toolbar. I personally stay as far away from the web as
              I can, so, I don't think this you will be hanging around long. I
              don't IE either. <bg> Who knows, some of you may find it very
              useful. Well, I'm about done with it - ya'll be on your own now. :)

              What is RSS?
              RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is an XML-based format for
              distributing web content (such as news headlines or new content in
              your group). You can use RSS to read or display recent group messages
              on another location of your choice. Here are some examples:

              Read messages on My Yahoo! Read messages in an RSS reader, or a news
              aggregator. Display messages in your web log (otherwise known as
              "blog") for others to see.

              How do I read messages on My Yahoo!?
              Simply click on the "Add to My Yahoo!" link below.

              How do I read messages in an RSS reader or news aggregator?
              Just enter the URL listed below. Please check the instructions for
              your individual program/service.

              How do I display messages in my web log (blog)?
              First, make sure your blog supports the display of syndicated RSS
              content. If so, add the URL listed below in the appropriate area of
              your blog provider. Please check the help pages for your service, as
              the location varies by provider.

              Do all groups have RSS?
              RSS is available only for groups configured by their owners to show
              messages to the public.
              Add to My Yahoo!

              http://news.yahoo.com/rss

              See ya in the funnies,
              Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

              http://www.clean-funnies.com
            • Barry
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 26 10:26 AM
                Hi Jody

                Some while back I asked if it might be possible to download the AE templates
                again because somehow mine seem to have got corrupted, but never got a
                reply.

                Take care. Barry UK

                  I thought the solution was to reinstall ABE. :)

                  You can download them from here:

                  > Some while back I asked if it might be possible to download the
                  > AE templates again because somehow mine seem to have got
                  > corrupted, but never got a reply.

                  All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 26 12:00 PM
                    Barry wrote:
                    > Hi Jody
                    >
                    > Some while back I asked if it might be possible to download the AE
                    templates
                    > again because somehow mine seem to have got corrupted, but never got a
                    > reply.
                    >
                    > Take care. Barry UK

                    Barry,

                    I'm not Jody but, I think you can solve your problem. If you've changed
                    or created any templates of your own be sure the template files have an
                    individual name, different from the original, so they won't get overwritten.

                    After that's done just reinstall AE using the installer package you
                    have, install over your existing installation.

                    That should replace all the original files with new copies.

                    hrs
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 26 12:07 PM
                      hsavage wrote:
                      >I'm not Jody but,

                      Shouldn't we have an acronym for that? I suggest IANJB. You know, like
                      IANAL ;-)

                      Lotta
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 26 3:37 PM
                        I think we need to abbreviate the acronym to NJB for Not Jody, But...

                        OR just say "Jody" by Proxie.
                        --
                        ~~

                        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                        "Just the facts, maam."
                        Sgt. Joe Friday,
                        LAPD Badge #714

                        Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                        VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                        Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
                      • Barry
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 26 4:22 PM
                          Well I reloaded AB and I still can't preview the background templates. The
                          gif files are defaulting to html and I think that's where the problem lies.
                          Any comments would be helpful.

                          Thanks Barry UK

                          > > Some while back I asked if it might be possible to download the AE
                          > templates
                          > > again because somehow mine seem to have got corrupted, but never got a
                          > > reply.
                          > >
                          > > Take care. Barry UK
                          >
                          > Barry,
                          >
                          > I'm not Jody but, I think you can solve your problem. If you've changed
                          > or created any templates of your own be sure the template files have an
                          > individual name, different from the original, so they won't get
                          overwritten.

                          > After that's done just reinstall AE using the installer package you
                          > have, install over your existing installation.
                          >
                          > That should replace all the original files with new copies.
                          >
                          > hrs
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Larry Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 26 5:14 PM
                            I have been using Mozilla and FireFox and avoiding IE, except for
                            Microsoft Updates. I just checked and there are at least 2 RSS
                            Extensions for Mozilla and FireFox.

                            I just tried one of them called Sage, and it is pretty slick. If one
                            were needing to catch up on a group, or had a group membership, but set
                            to not get email, I can see this as a great way to look over only the
                            topics one had an interest in.

                            Larry Hamilton
                            lmh@...
                            My Webpage

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 26 6:22 PM
                              Hi Larry,

                              >I have been using Mozilla and FireFox and avoiding IE, except for
                              >Microsoft Updates. I just checked and there are at least 2 RSS
                              >Extensions for Mozilla and FireFox.
                              >
                              >I just tried one of them called Sage, and it is pretty slick. If
                              >one were needing to catch up on a group, or had a group
                              >membership, but set to not get email, I can see this as a great
                              >way to look over only the topics one had an interest in.

                              I was really a bit unfair. :) I did mention that it looked good
                              for those that read on the web. Once I deleted all the garbage
                              they had it checking and took all of IE's views out, it looked
                              pretty nice, although I'll sure stick to eMail for the groups.
                              You are right about if you were away and wanted to do some quick
                              catchup on the web because you turned off your eMail option - it
                              would certainly help out in going through all the listmail. For
                              people that always read yahoogroups on the web and didn't mind
                              taking all of IE's stuff out of view, I think I would like it a
                              lot better than just straight yahoogroups.

                              I still always find my NetCaptor the best though. :) I gave
                              FireFox a pretty good run for awhile, and after a few weeks of
                              forcing myself to use FireFox couldn't wait to get back into my
                              NetCaptor.

                              See ya in the funnies,
                              Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                              http://www.clean-funnies.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 26 6:42 PM
                                Hi Barry,

                                >Well I reloaded AB and I still can't preview the background
                                >templates. The gif files are defaulting to html and I think
                                >that's where the problem lies. Any comments would be helpful.

                                I thought it was the regular templates you could see; that's what
                                we were troubleshooting all that time a month or so ago???

                                The "Background image" field in Page 3. is something altogether different.
                                They're found in: ..\Backgrounds\*.gif|.jpg (You can browse
                                to your own anywhere on your drive as far as they go.) Once you
                                use one from somewhere else, AbE makes a copy of it in its
                                "Background" folder so it'll stay in your list until you delete it.

                                The album templates that show up in Page 1. are in: ..\Templates\
                                That is what I put on the web for download. They are listed under "Use
                                Template" in Page 1.

                                So, make sure you have background images in the Background folder
                                if that is where the problem is. We can perhaps talk about the
                                problem more once we know exactly what it is. <g>

                                These are all the ones that come with Album Express:

                                ..\Backgrounds\BlueLines.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\DarkLines.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\EtchedBorder.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\EtchedBorder2.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\GrayLines.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\Grid.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\Ladders.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\Paper.jpg
                                ..\Backgrounds\Spiral.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\SpiralBlack.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\SpiralDarkGray.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\SpiralGray.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\SpiralGrid.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\SpiralOffWhite.gif
                                ..\Backgrounds\WhiteLines.gif

                                Please keep the subject line as is and if you reply to more that
                                only have the "Re: [NTO] RSS feeds" copy and paste the *full*
                                Subject line in this message; leave the (was Re:... part in). I
                                know the Subject line doesn't mean a whole lot for people that
                                don't get a whole lot of mail, but when one is "raking in" 100s a
                                day, it is very important!-)

                                >Thanks Barry UK

                                Jody Adair

                                and even thou doest err some!
                                http://clean-funnies.com
                                http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 27 12:43 AM
                                  Jeff Scism wrote:
                                  >I think we need to abbreviate the acronym to NJB for Not Jody, But...

                                  Or maybe IAMJ is better... more in line with IANAL and IANAD. Too bad
                                  IANAJ doesn't work, huh? :-D

                                  >OR just say "Jody" by Proxie.

                                  ROTFL - I like that one!