Re: [NTO] getting tidy

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2004
      Ralph,

      Tidy for Windows is available here:

      http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html

      The first link on the page for the tidy-exe.zip is at this link:

      http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/int64/tidy-040806-exe.zip?download

      They do not make the link stand out from the Tidy home page, it took me
      a minute the other day to find it.

      In your other post, you asked about Tidy. It has a config file that also
      goes in the NoteTab directory that controls its suggestions. If you do
      not set your own config file for Tidy, it has default suggestions.

      Since Tidy is a command line tool, open up a command line/DOS box and
      type tidy.exe -h and it will give all the help commands. If you use
      these next two commands, it will give you all possible Tidy options and
      current Tidy options:

      path to notetab\Tidy.exe -help-config list all configuration options
      path to notetab\Tidy.exe -show-config list the current
      configuration settings

      There is lots of information in the archives of both the NoteTab HTML
      list and the OffTopic list regarding Tidy settings.

      One helpful trick for using Tidy is to let it generate its message and
      then do CTRL+Z to restore your HTML file, then make changes on a copy if
      you are concerned about the effects of changes. Also, Tidy and other
      HTML validators rely on the presence of the DOCTYPE line, if any, before
      the <HTML> tag in a document. This lets the validator know what standard
      you want it to check against. I believe Tidy may also have an option to
      specify what doctype to validate against. In addition, NoteTab has the
      ability to force html tags inserted by clip libraries to be XHTML
      format, under VIEW > OPTIONS on the HTML tab.

      Some of Tidy's suggestions do not make sense. For example, it an earlier
      problem is found, it can throw Tidy off the trail. For this reason, it
      is best to fix small error and re-validate.

      Larry Hamilton
      lmh@...
      My Webpage