RE: [NTO] getting tidy

  • Bob Janes
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2004
      Ralph Johnson wrote:
      > Where do I download tidy?

      http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

      Best wishes

      Bob

      --

      Bob Janes
      'A Helping Hand'
      +33 (298) 48 09 77
      bob<at>bobjanes.com
      www.bobjanes.com

      To be alone is to be different, to be different is to be alone. ~
      Suzanne Gordon
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22, 2004
        Ralph,

        Tidy for Windows is available here:

        http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html

        The first link on the page for the tidy-exe.zip is at this link:

        http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/int64/tidy-040806-exe.zip?download

        They do not make the link stand out from the Tidy home page, it took me
        a minute the other day to find it.

        In your other post, you asked about Tidy. It has a config file that also
        goes in the NoteTab directory that controls its suggestions. If you do
        not set your own config file for Tidy, it has default suggestions.

        Since Tidy is a command line tool, open up a command line/DOS box and
        type tidy.exe -h and it will give all the help commands. If you use
        these next two commands, it will give you all possible Tidy options and
        current Tidy options:

        path to notetab\Tidy.exe -help-config list all configuration options
        path to notetab\Tidy.exe -show-config list the current
        configuration settings

        There is lots of information in the archives of both the NoteTab HTML
        list and the OffTopic list regarding Tidy settings.

        One helpful trick for using Tidy is to let it generate its message and
        then do CTRL+Z to restore your HTML file, then make changes on a copy if
        you are concerned about the effects of changes. Also, Tidy and other
        HTML validators rely on the presence of the DOCTYPE line, if any, before
        the <HTML> tag in a document. This lets the validator know what standard
        you want it to check against. I believe Tidy may also have an option to
        specify what doctype to validate against. In addition, NoteTab has the
        ability to force html tags inserted by clip libraries to be XHTML
        format, under VIEW > OPTIONS on the HTML tab.

        Some of Tidy's suggestions do not make sense. For example, it an earlier
        problem is found, it can throw Tidy off the trail. For this reason, it
        is best to fix small error and re-validate.

        Larry Hamilton
        lmh@...
        My Webpage