Re: [NTO] note tab

  • Robert Romberger
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2004
      On 21 Aug 2004 at 7:19, Ralph Johnson wrote:

      > It may be sacrilegious to ask this question in a notetab list but in
      > what instances does notetab lend itself to a better method of creating and
      > managing web pages than say netscape composer (I use) or frontpage? I
      > bought and paid for notetab and want to learn how to use it.. It seems to
      > have a huge amount of features but how is it better than composer? It
      > really frustrates me to try tohandle graphics.. So I just go back to
      > Netscape composer and edit my web page with that. So is there a simple
      > answer to why should I use notetab? If I can get an answer I can use I can
      > get start from there. What I've done so far isn't much.

      Hello Ralph,

      To be blunt, until you learn more HTML, positioning with CSS, etc., you
      are probably better off using composer or Nvu to create your pages. From
      what you wrote above, you are still looking at page creation in WYSIWYG
      mode. This is fine if you don't want to learn more HTML or page layout
      using CSS, and don't maintain more than a handful of personal pages. You
      can use NoteTab to maintain the pages you create using composer for simple
      text changes and the like, but you will find (as you have) that NoteTab
      does not give you the instant WYSIWYG output like composer. Different tools
      for different skill levels and job requirements. What composer and Nvu
      don't do easily is work with the HTML directly (though Nvu does a better
      job of it than composer does), integrate with other tools like TopStyle
      (for CSS), Tidy and/or CSE (for code verification), etc. That is where
      NoteTab shines. NoteTab also makes maintaining large sites very easy when
      you need to change something on more than one or two pages - say using a
      different background image, or adding a footer to all the pages. It would
      be very tedious to do such with composer or Nvu if you had to make changes
      to 10+ pages - create code, copy, close page, open next page, paste, close
      page, open next page...

      That said, pick the tool that does what you need and you feel comfortable
      with using. NoteTab does other things besides web page creation, and has
      the ability to be trained to do many other things using clips and
      libraries. For me, I use NoteTab for my web site creation and maintenance,
      but I use gvim for doing my PHP, perl, and C/C++ coding. Different tools
      that get the job done.

      --
      Robert

      http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html