Re: [NTO] Firefox question (was new page up)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
      Julie:

      Probably, but I've never used Netcaptor much. Is "alias function" a way to
      associate some text string with a URL so you just type it in the Address bar
      and the browser figures out which you want?

      If that's what it is I just did a quick visual scan of the extensions room:
      http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Firefox without finding anything
      that appears to do what I think you are after.

      It might be worth asking on the extensions forum:
      http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=19

      I haven't really been following it lately but frequently someone will
      respond with an extension that for whatever reason isn't generally available
      in the formal ExtensionsRoom.

      One other idea:
      Robotype (formerly free :-( from PcMagazine) could be used for what I think
      you're after and *bonus* can be used anywhere. eg. in any app (including
      Notetab) you type "/fbext" and it gets replaced by
      http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Firefox

      Its actually a very slick application useful for many other purposes. I
      know - I helped beta test it :-)

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 12, 2004
        Hi Alec,

        >Probably, but I've never used Netcaptor much. Is "alias function"
        >a way to associate some text string with a URL so you just type
        >it in the Address bar and the browser figures out which you want?

        Yes, that's what it is. You assign like "g" to http://google.com
        and type g <enter> into the Addressbar and your there.

        See ya in the funnies,
        Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

        http://www.clean-funnies.com
      • melchior prisi
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 2004
          Hi,
          ----- on 13.08.2004 02:12 Jody wrote:
          >>Probably, but I've never used Netcaptor much. Is "alias function"
          >>a way to associate some text string with a URL so you just type
          >>it in the Address bar and the browser figures out which you want?
          >
          > Yes, that's what it is. You assign like "g" to http://google.com
          > and type g <enter> into the Addressbar and your there.

          This function is already built in Mozilla and Firefox Browsers:

          - Bookmark the URL you wish to have an "alias" for.
          - Right click the bookmark and choose "Properties"
          - There is a field "Keyword" where you can enter your alias.

          O.K. - and go...

          Regards,
          Melchior

          --
          http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
          http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13, 2004
            Thanks so much, Melchior! And here I thought it was a feature lacking...
            it was there all along :-).

            At 8/14/2004 12:49 AM +0200, melchior prisi wrote:

            >This function is already built in Mozilla and Firefox Browsers:
            >
            >- Bookmark the URL you wish to have an "alias" for.
            >- Right click the bookmark and choose "Properties"
            >- There is a field "Keyword" where you can enter your alias.
            >
            >O.K. - and go...

          • Robert Romberger
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2004
              On 12 Aug 2004 at 19:12, Jody wrote:

              > >Probably, but I've never used Netcaptor much. Is "alias function"
              > >a way to associate some text string with a URL so you just type
              > >it in the Address bar and the browser figures out which you want?
              >
              > Yes, that's what it is. You assign like "g" to http://google.com
              > and type g <enter> into the Addressbar and your there.

              Netscape has had the keyword function available for many years now, same
              holds true for Mozilla and Firefox. It is a part of the bookmark functions.

              Quoting Mozilla Help on Internet Keywords:

              Using Internet Keywords

              Internet Keywords work with the Location Bar to help you quickly find
              specific types of information. There are several ways to use Internet
              * Type a specific product, trademark, or company name and press Enter
              (Return on Mac OS), to go directly to a company's web site.
              * Type certain verbs, such as "shop" or "quote," followed by the word
              you want to look up, to get specific information. For instance, "shop pets"
              takes you to a page with links to online pet stores.
              * Type the name of a city or town followed by certain words such as
              "movies" or "restaurants," for local information. For instance, type "san
              francisco restaurants".

              Hint: The most commonly used Internet Keywords are listed in the pull-down
              list to the left of the Location Bar. Click the triangle and choose from
              the list. To see a longer list of keywords, choose List of Keywords.

              Important: To use Internet Keywords, you must press Enter on your keyboard
              (Return on Mac OS) instead of clicking the Search button. Pressing Enter
              activates the Internet Keyword feature; clicking Search initiates a search.

              To see the difference, try this:

              1. Type "apple imac" into the Location Bar and press Enter (Return).
              Apple Computer's iMac Web page appears.
              2. Now type "apple imac" into the Location Bar and click Search. You see
              a list of links related to Apple Computer's iMac models.

              If typing Internet Keywords into the Location Bar is not working for you,
              check your Smart Browsing preferences to be sure the Internet Keywords
              feature is enabled.

              Hope that helps.
              --
              Robert

              Imagination grows by exercise, and contrary to common belief, is more
              powerful in the mature than in the young. W. Somerset Maugham
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 14, 2004
                The description of "Internet keywords" below is _not_ the same function as
                the alias function I was asking about where text expands to a URL, but
                entering a keyword in the bookmark's properties does indeed do the same
                thing as the alias function :-).