Memory Testing (Free Utilities)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6 6:07 PM
      Hi All,

      Say, Jim Hall, is this you? I didn't get the specific RAM testing
      utility from there, but saw your name when there. (I got the
      three links below from Centon's (memory) web site. centon.com

      http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
      "FreeDOS is a trademark of Jim Hall. It was claimed as a trademark
      to prevent its possible abuse or misuse. The name "FreeDOS" may be
      used by the FreeDOS community to refer to programs that are part
      of the FreeDOS operating system, or to associate their programs
      with FreeDOS. FreeDos source-code can be downloaded from
      www.freedos.org"

      Two memory testing utilities (DOS):

      MemTest86: http://www.memtest86.com
      MemTest86 does all kinds of tests. Takes about 1 hour for 1 pass
      and loops till you ESC. There's a lot of geek information at the
      site about how it tests and fairly easy to understand the geek-
      speak. :) The author states that his much better than most,
      because of the kind of tests it runs, that most of them just
      read/write a few patterns and that's it. One section that
      impressed me was about how it tests the cells in the RAM to see
      if they are writing to the cell next to it which is an error
      condition. (One cell for each bit of memory.)

      Like most of the geeks though, not much information on
      how to use it, not just to get it going that is. <g> It almost
      appears that it is for Linux only the way it is worded, but not
      so. In short, to get it setup you insert a blank floppy disk and
      click on the install.bat that is in the small zip you download.
      Follow the few steps. (You won't be able to read the floppy after
      it is done and it doesn't tell you it's done making the boot
      disk. <g> Anyway, just bootup Windows with the floppy in and
      watch it go.

      From Microsoft: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
      Does about 6 tests and loops till you X, goes pretty quick,
      doesn't seem to go "real deep" like MemTest86 above. You also
      bootup on a floppy that you make with the download. Just click on
      the downloaded "mtinst.exe" from MS and install to a floppy.

      All Fookes Software mailing lists:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm