Re: [NTO] Tampered!?

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
      Hi all,

      Christine wrote:
      >I came home to find Norton Antivirus offering me the message that it has
      >been "tampered with" and that I should "uninstall and reinstall the
      >program."

      I was going to suggest that you download and run another AV to see if it
      finds a virus, in case Norton after all has been doctored with. But then I
      fed "Norton tampered" to Google and this page came up.
      http://snipurl.com/8a0h
      <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/74577ff4b9ee9d2588256c0900682b31?OpenDocument&prod=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no>

      It doesn't describe your problem exactly but it's close and it links to
      some kind of online tool, Automated Support Assistant, that scans your
      computer. Maybe that thing can find out what's wrong?

      Lotta
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 13, 2004
        I thought Id update you on this weird issue.
        First, I use AdAware, SpyBot and the Dox web page and all came up normal.
        So, I figured I had nothing to do and ran the live update for Norton, then
        reapplied SP1 for XP Pro.
        lo and behold, Norton no longer stated I was tampered. Sounded so personal,
        didn't it?

        So thanks all for the links and ideas. In this weird world, you never know
        when someone is going to mess with your stuff. Particularly when one is
        stupid enough not to have loaded her firewall at the last system rebuild....
        <looking innocent>

        Christine