Tampered!?

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hi all!
      I came home to find Norton Antivirus offering me the message that it has
      been "tampered with" and that I should "uninstall and reinstall the
      program."

      This is totally a new one. Needless to say I'll probably end up following
      those instructions, but have you ever heard of such a thing? I have not.

      Tampered!!!???

      Christine
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" <christine@e...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all!
        > I came home to find Norton Antivirus offering me the message that
        it has
        > been "tampered with" and that I should "uninstall and reinstall the
        > program."
        >
        > This is totally a new one. Needless to say I'll probably end up
        following
        > those instructions, but have you ever heard of such a thing? I
        have not.

        > Tampered!!!???
        >
        > Christine

        I've never seen that Christine but if I did my gut instinct would
        tell me my system had been infiltrated by some sort of parasite.

        Awhile back Lotta bailed me out of a jam by pointing me towards the
        following link which found a very much unwanted parasite in my
        computer that was causing my problems. You might want to go there
        and see what it tells you about your machine. Here's the link.

        http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

        And if that sheds no light, you might try downloading and installing
        the free Spybot program that also roots out the nasties we don't
        want. The link to that is

        http://spybot.eon.net.au/en/index.html

        John
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
          Was it NORTON or was it an EMAIL, or windows messaging box?

          Normally IF Norton has detected an attempt, it has already taken care of it.

          BEFORE you do ANYTHING contact Symantec and research it.
          --
          ~~

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          "Just the facts, maam."
          Sgt. Joe Friday,
          LAPD Badge #714
        • Christine
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
            I was concerned, too, but it's not a pop-up. (That's disabled.)
            It's within the actual Norton program on the windows that offers all the
            status stuff. I'll check out the link, John, and contact Symantec if
            necessary.
            I've had things happen that all, including Symantec, say cannot. Things *I*
            would tell someone couldn't happen.
            Never say never. Ever.

            I'll let you know what happens.
            Thanks!
            Christine
          • Barry
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
              Good advice to check it out with Symantec first.

              Take care. Barry UK

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2004
                  I thought Id update you on this weird issue.
                  First, I use AdAware, SpyBot and the Dox web page and all came up normal.
                  So, I figured I had nothing to do and ran the live update for Norton, then
                  reapplied SP1 for XP Pro.
                  lo and behold, Norton no longer stated I was tampered. Sounded so personal,
                  didn't it?

                  So thanks all for the links and ideas. In this weird world, you never know
                  when someone is going to mess with your stuff. Particularly when one is
                  stupid enough not to have loaded her firewall at the last system rebuild....
                  <looking innocent>

                  Christine