RE: [NTO] command line parmeters

  • Jason Wellband
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      : From: Mike Hopkins [mailto:ironmike@...]
      :
      : OK, good folks, what are the command line parameters
      : to open new window minimized, MAXIMIZED, or Normal?
      :

      Depends on the program :)

      : Also, is there any command line parameter that will
      : close a window after the associated program has
      : finished?

      Ditto :)

      :
      : I'm trying to get windows scheduler to open Media player,
      : play a tone every ten minutes and exit.

      You might try this (Assuming Media Player >7 is installed):

      "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe" /play /close
      Ding.wav

      You could solve most of this with a scripting/automation program.
      AutoIt comes to mind.

      Hth

      Jason
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Hopkins" <ironmike@i...>
        wrote:
        > OK, good folks, what are the command line parameters
        > to open new window minimized, MAXIMIZED, or Normal?
        >
        > Also, is there any command line parameter that will
        > close a window after the associated program has
        > finished?
        >
        > I'm trying to get windows scheduler to open Media player,
        > play a tone every ten minutes and exit.
        >
        > I can't find a free clock program that will do this
        > continually
        > and the cron-like programs I have tried interfered with the
        > operation of other programs like, oh, windows explorer.
        >
        > Any help will be appreciated.
        >
        > Mike Hopkins
        > ironmike |AT| inav.net

        Depending upon your Windows version (meaning if you're running NT,
        2000, or XP), the command line command for starting programs in a
        specific sized window is START. Go to a command line prompt and type
        START /? then press ENTER. If you get an error then start isn't
        available in your system. However if start is available, the
        start /? key sequence will tell you how to start a program in
        different windows amongst other things.

        Even if you are not using a newer version of Windows you can still do
        this with older versions by creating a shortcut to the program you
        want to launch. Just create a shortcut to that program and launch
        (or use START or from NoteTab ^!Shell) the shortcut instead of the
        program itself. In the properties for a shortcut you can specify
        whether the window is opened minimized, maximized or normal.

        As to closing a window after a program exits, it really depends on
        what you're doing. Most GUI programs (GUI=Graphic User Interface
        i.e. a typical Windows program like NoteTab) do close the window
        they're in when they terminate, however many command line programs
        won't. To force a window created by a command line program to close
        after the program terminates, add the command line command of EXIT to
        the end of the script. But even that may not close the Window in some
        older versions of Windows.

        John