command line parmeters

  • Mike Hopkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      OK, good folks, what are the command line parameters
      to open new window minimized, MAXIMIZED, or Normal?

      Also, is there any command line parameter that will
      close a window after the associated program has
      finished?

      I'm trying to get windows scheduler to open Media player,
      play a tone every ten minutes and exit.

      I can't find a free clock program that will do this
      continually
      and the cron-like programs I have tried interfered with the
      operation of other programs like, oh, windows explorer.

      Any help will be appreciated.

      Mike Hopkins
      ironmike |AT| inav.net
    • Jason Wellband
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
        : From: Mike Hopkins [mailto:ironmike@...]
        :
        : OK, good folks, what are the command line parameters
        : to open new window minimized, MAXIMIZED, or Normal?
        :

        Depends on the program :)

        : Also, is there any command line parameter that will
        : close a window after the associated program has
        : finished?

        Ditto :)

        :
        : I'm trying to get windows scheduler to open Media player,
        : play a tone every ten minutes and exit.

        You might try this (Assuming Media Player >7 is installed):

        "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe" /play /close
        Ding.wav

        You could solve most of this with a scripting/automation program.
        AutoIt comes to mind.

        Hth

        Jason
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Hopkins" <ironmike@i...>
          wrote:
          > OK, good folks, what are the command line parameters
          > to open new window minimized, MAXIMIZED, or Normal?
          >
          > Also, is there any command line parameter that will
          > close a window after the associated program has
          > finished?
          >
          > I'm trying to get windows scheduler to open Media player,
          > play a tone every ten minutes and exit.
          >
          > I can't find a free clock program that will do this
          > continually
          > and the cron-like programs I have tried interfered with the
          > operation of other programs like, oh, windows explorer.
          >
          > Any help will be appreciated.
          >
          > Mike Hopkins
          > ironmike |AT| inav.net

          Depending upon your Windows version (meaning if you're running NT,
          2000, or XP), the command line command for starting programs in a
          specific sized window is START. Go to a command line prompt and type
          START /? then press ENTER. If you get an error then start isn't
          available in your system. However if start is available, the
          start /? key sequence will tell you how to start a program in
          different windows amongst other things.

          Even if you are not using a newer version of Windows you can still do
          this with older versions by creating a shortcut to the program you
          want to launch. Just create a shortcut to that program and launch
          (or use START or from NoteTab ^!Shell) the shortcut instead of the
          program itself. In the properties for a shortcut you can specify
          whether the window is opened minimized, maximized or normal.

          As to closing a window after a program exits, it really depends on
          what you're doing. Most GUI programs (GUI=Graphic User Interface
          i.e. a typical Windows program like NoteTab) do close the window
          they're in when they terminate, however many command line programs
          won't. To force a window created by a command line program to close
          after the program terminates, add the command line command of EXIT to
          the end of the script. But even that may not close the Window in some
          older versions of Windows.

          John