RE: [NTO] Pop-Ups

  • Jason Wellband
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 13, 2004
      : From: Mordechai [mailto:airflow@...]
      :
      : Hello Everybody,
      : I would like to ask your help about a good 'Anti pop-up'
      : program you know / use.

      Sure, don't use IE :-D seriously, even the Department of Homeland Security
      said its not safe. Instead, use Mozilla, Opera, or Firefox. Moz and Firefox
      can import your favorites and settings from IE. Not sure about Opera, I'd
      assume it could tho. Moz and Firefox will block all unrequested popups and
      ActiveX isn't existant in any of the three browsers so that's gone too. It
      dramatically reduces the amount of spyware one can get.

      One thing to note is that any IE addon or skin like MyIE2 or Crazybrowser
      aren't safe either since they use the same engine that IE uses - which has
      seeral critical flaws that aren't patchable.

      Outlook Express suffers from the same problems as well. Thunderbird is an
      alternative although I've heard that 0.8 has a few bugs that advanced users
      might hit. I'm moving everybody I'm responsible for over to FF and
      Thunderbird tho, and so far, no probs :)

      www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

      www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

      Hth

      Jason
    • Mordechai
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 13, 2004
        Hello Everybody,
        I would like to ask your help about a good 'Anti pop-up' program you know / use.
        I have some old program called "Pop-Up Stopper" version 2.2 and it works fine as far as 'normal' windows are involved.
        But it does not stop those small windows poping and asking to install something or change the home-page.
        Sometimes the 'fight' with those popups cause me to use the task manager to close IE.
        Recently found a "Popup Blocker Pro" program, it described what it can do, so I installed it, the results were bad and it was removed after one day - I would not recomend it.
        So, if anyone knows / uses such a program and is 'happy' with it, please let me know.
        Many thanks in advance.
        Mordechai M.
        airflow@...

      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 13, 2004
          Mordechai wrote:

          > Hello Everybody,
          > I would like to ask your help about a good 'Anti pop-up' program you know / use.
          > I have some old program called "Pop-Up Stopper" version 2.2 and it works fine as far as 'normal' windows are involved.
          > But it does not stop those small windows poping and asking to install something or change the home-page.
          > Sometimes the 'fight' with those popups cause me to use the task manager to close IE.
          > Recently found a "Popup Blocker Pro" program, it described what it can do, so I installed it, the results were bad and it was removed after one day - I would not recomend it.
          > So, if anyone knows / uses such a program and is 'happy' with it, please let me know.
          > Many thanks in advance.
          > Mordechai M.
          > airflow@...

          The best pop-up blocker is free. Dump Internet Explorer and start using
          firefox browser (the most current Mozilla browser) from http://mozilla.org

          It features pop-up control, is very compliant with html/css standards,
          has tabbed browsing (you'll like that!) and best of all there are some
          wonderful extensions available that make many things very handy, such as
          web development tools, edit a sites css on the fly if you don't like
          theirs, etc.
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 13, 2004
            Please refer to my forum post here:
            http://www.bndservices.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45 on how you can
            help stop a lot of the popups, etc. with a few free programs.

            Also check out this one, which talks about Proxomitron, which is the
            best free Internet protection I have ever used:
            http://www.bndservices.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56

            Brian
          • Mike Acklin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 14, 2004
              All the suggestions are great and I have used the majority of them. Ad
              aware, Pop-up Stopper, MyIE2, Firefox, and the list goes on. But I have
              found out something else that I never knew was going on with my computer all
              the time.

              I installed this program called ProtoWall. It is a very easy program to use
              and will surprise you if you ever use it. There are so many things that are
              on your system that report back to the "Mother Ship" all the time. I have
              all the Pop-Ups and Aware items blocked, but was surprised when I installed
              ProtoWall and started getting outgoing packets. I thought for sure I was
              safe but now I am not, unless I have ProtoWall running.

              It is completely free along with the companion program Blocklist Manager. BM
              updates from various sources and currently has over 14,000 blocked ranges of
              IP's. I am sure you are all going to say this is for P2P and programs like
              that, but if you install the program, I think you will be very surprised at
              who is sending outgoing packets.

              Anyway if any of you get a chance, try ProtoWall and Blocklist Manager.

              They can be found at: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/phpn2/index1.php

              Hope this helps...

              _____

              I would like to ask your help about a good 'Anti pop-up' program you know /
              use.
              I have some old program called "Pop-Up Stopper" version 2.2 and it works
              fine as far as 'normal' windows are involved.
              But it does not stop those small windows poping and asking to install
              something or change the home-page.
              Sometimes the 'fight' with those popups cause me to use the task manager to
              close IE.
              Recently found a "Popup Blocker Pro" program, it described what it can do,
              so I installed it, the results were bad and it was removed after one day - I
              would not recomend it.
              So, if anyone knows / uses such a program and is 'happy' with it, please let
              me know.
              Many thanks in advance.
              Mordechai M.
              airflow@...

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129de9t7b/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1089855384/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
              anion.yahoo.com> click here

              :HM/A=2128215/rand=860208351>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              _____

              << ella for Spam Control >> has removed 1845 Spam messages and set aside 251
              Mailing Lists for me
              You can use it too - and it's FREE! www.ellaforspam.com

            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 16, 2004
                On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:53:19 -0400, Jason Wellband
                <jwellband-lists@...> wrote:

                > Outlook Express suffers from the same problems as well. Thunderbird is an
                > alternative although I've heard that 0.8 has a few bugs that advanced users
                > might hit. I'm moving everybody I'm responsible for over to FF and
                > Thunderbird tho, and so far, no probs :)
                >
                > www.mozilla.org/products/firefox
                >
                > www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

                Thunderbird is v0.7.2 right now - the one bug I've hit (and it's rare)
                is that sometimes it won't fully create or delete a mailbox or mail
                folder and then you have to manually fix it in the profile Mail
                folder. But that's rare, in fact since I upgraded from v0.7 to
                v0.7.2, I don't think it's happened and I'm a pretty heavy mail user,
                lots of filters, lots of mail folders and mailboxes.

                oh! One more slight bug but much easier to deal with, if you have
                more than one email account, sometimes when it's downloading a bunch
                of mail, it won't be able to execute all the mail filters - it will
                tell you that it couldn't do it and then the mail ends up in the
                Inbox. Once it's finished downloading mail, go to the Inbox, click on
                Tools > Run Mail Filters on Folder and it's done.

                And it is a great mail program, it took me a bit of getting used to,
                but there are some really useful features in Thunderbird that I didn't
                have in OE. Plus, you can view HTML thru a "safe HTML" setting, that
                keeps the nasty things from executing while still making it possible
                to read html newsletters and stuff.

                --
                alice ttlg

                Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
                http://alice.ttlg.net/

                It's off in the distance.
                It came into the room.
                It's here in the circle.
              • Mark Partous
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27, 2004
                  Hello Don,

                  Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 4:40:35 AM, you wrote:

                  Dhc> Mordechai wrote:

                  >> Hello Everybody,
                  >> I would like to ask your help about a good 'Anti pop-up' program you know / use.
                  >> I have some old program called "Pop-Up Stopper" version 2.2 and it
                  >> works fine as far as 'normal' windows are involved.

                  Dhc> The best pop-up blocker is free. Dump Internet Explorer and start using
                  Dhc> firefox browser (the most current Mozilla browser) from http://mozilla.org

                  Dhc> It features pop-up control, is very compliant with html/css standards,
                  Dhc> has tabbed browsing (you'll like that!) and best of all there are some
                  Dhc> wonderful extensions available that make many things very handy, such as
                  Dhc> web development tools, edit a sites css on the fly if you don't like
                  Dhc> theirs, etc.

                  Well, if Don wants to stick to IE, he might try Netcaptor:
                  http://www.netcaptor.com

                  I also use Mozilla under Xandros and FireFox under Win2000, but I cannot use
                  those for working with some sites I use professionally (banks & insurance
                  companies)...

                  --
                  Best Wishes,
                  Mark
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 27, 2004
                    I had to Uninstall Firefox, I use win 98se, and irt had Cache issues,
                    It had set up it's own cache files location and the cache would not
                    empty, I tried to manually clear it when I found out WHERE it was and
                    it would not lket me delete the files, it kept telling me to open my
                    browser, and clear it under the VIEW menu, which didn't exist.

                    My comp-uter just got slower aaand slower until it had virtually stopped
                    funcctioning, I was getting "out of resources" werrors as soon as I
                    turned it on.

                    My solution was to uninstall Firefox, and using Explorer MOVE the
                    cached files (30 GIGS of them) to another folder and then manually
                    select the whole batch and delete them.

                    I am back to using Netscape 7.2, and MSIE for the sites that are not
                    Netscape compatible.

                    Dhc> The best pop-up blocker is free. Dump Internet Explorer and start
                    using
                    Dhc> firefox browser (the most current Mozilla browser) from
                    http://mozilla.org
                    --
                    ~~

                    Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                    "Just the facts, maam."
                    Sgt. Joe Friday,
                    LAPD Badge #714

                    Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                    VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                    Jimmy Hoffa, 1960