Re: [NTO] PasteClips (was [Clip] NoteTab software.)

  • rbmooney
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2004
      Hi Alec,
      Thanks for the tip on RoboType 3 (from PCMag). At the moment I'm trying to
      remember where I read about a small program that will search any document
      for the purpose of identifying the "highest use" of every word in the
      document. In other words, this email can be scanned by hundreds of programs
      as to its number of words, sentences, etc., but not the order--highest to
      lowest--of the words used in creating this or other documents. The purpose
      of such a program is to control "over-used" or "over-worked" words in one's
      writing. Example: I dislike using "I" even when it's a first person
      account. So I write often in the second person. That's a cold and passive
      language though. Good for text books or manuals. If anyone knows of such a
      program, please do let me know.
      Thanks,

      Blake
      rbmooney

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2004
        Alec,

        Perhaps Wurdz is the program you're thinking of? Try
        httP://adwt.com/pc/wurdz.htm

        Dana

        --
        Dana K. Cassell, Box A, North Stratford NH 03590; (603) 922-8338
        http://www.writers-editors.com for writing/editing/PR help
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2004
          http://adwt.com/pc/wurdz.htm is the kind of program used now to highlight
          suspected plagiarism (cheating) amongst post graduates taking their finals.

          Take care. Barry UK

          > Thanks for the tip on RoboType 3 (from PCMag). At the moment I'm trying
          > remember where I read about a small program that will search any document
          > for the purpose of identifying the "highest use" of every word in the
          > document. In other words, this email can be scanned by hundreds of
          programs
          > as to its number of words, sentences, etc., but not the order--highest to
          > lowest--of the words used in creating this or other documents. The
          purpose
          > of such a program is to control "over-used" or "over-worked" words in
          one's
          > writing. Example: I dislike using "I" even when it's a first person
          > account. So I write often in the second person. That's a cold and
          passive
          > language though. Good for text books or manuals. If anyone knows of such
          > program, please do let me know.
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Blake
          > rbmooney
        • rbmooney
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2004
            Hi Barry,
            I downloaded WURDZ about 40 mins. ago. I was shocked to see how many times I used "I" in a 3800 word document: 92 times!
            "IN" came in at 52 times; "YOU" repeated 44 times;
            "WITH" = 26 times, and so on. I don't know what to make of it...yet. This is a technical report that involved me in the majority of it's development so I can see "I" as getting a large play. Seems like a good program for any one interested in words and their frequency of use in an individual's writings. Surprisingly, not one Neanderthal grunt-word showed up: no "NO!," "MINE!," "GO!," or "GET YOUR OWN SOUP!" appeared.
            Blake
            rbmooney

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2004
              Wouldn't worry about it Blake As long as you thing that it reads well, then
              there's no problem. If it's written in the first person singular then
              it's impossible to avoid using 'I' a lot of the time.

              Take care. Barry UK