PasteClips (was [Clip] NoteTab software.)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2004
      Hi Richard (to Off-topic and cc'd to Richard)

      I was away for a week and followed this thread for the three days it ran
      until 5 days ago when it petered out, with Larry's last message. It took me
      a long time to figure out what you were after too - mostly because I'd
      forgotten that one of the clip libraries is "PasteClips"! When I saw that
      and then went back and read what you'd originally written it suddenly made
      perfect sense :-)

      You got good advice (especially from Larry who I think was the first to
      figure out what you were after).

      If, as several others had suggested, you are just starting with Notetab and
      wanted eventually to become proficient in writing your own clips then you've
      probably got a lot to chew over. On the other hand, if you want to
      accomplish the specific task you describe I think the answer (at least as
      far as minimizing keystrokes goes) might be this program: RoboType 3 (from
      PCMag)

      It used to be free but unfortunately they now charge approx $14.00/year for
      unlimited downloads of any of their excellent utilities (and no longer
      include source).

      With it running in the systray then in *ANY* other program that allows you
      to enter text, type your chosen abbreviation followed by a "/" and it will
      be replaced. So if you set it up so that your have Ed's address loaded in it
      as "ed" and John Jones' address loaded as "jj" then typing *JUST*

      ed/ or jj/ will replace it with the text you want. (It also has some neat
      macro type functions that allow you to insert today's date etc.) - no need
      to use the clipboard at all.

      go there and >>JOIN GROUP<<if you want further discussion,

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      from the site:

      Do you find yourself typing the same phrases and paragraphs repeatedly?
      Perhaps you prepare business documents that contain standard paragraphs. Or
      maybe you're a tech-support provider and you have to answer the same
      questions over and over via e-mail. Do you constantly have to type the same
      long and complicated URLs? You could save your reusable text in a document
      and cut and paste from there, but that approach is clumsy. Some programs
      have macro expansion facilities, but not all. RoboType 3, which adds a
      text-expansion feature to almost any Windows program, is a better solution.
      You define abbreviations for the words, phrases, and paragraphs that you
      frequently type and RoboType 3 does the rest, replacing your abbreviations
      with the expanded text. This latest update of RoboType includes numerous
      enhancements. A new groups feature lets you organize your abbreviations by
      category. A new tag feature lets you use variables such as date and time
      when defining expansion text. And you'll find many smaller refinements
      throughout the program.

      RoboType 3 runs under Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP. The
      Microsoft Visual C++ source code for RoboType 3 is provided with the utility
      for those interested in seeing how the program works. Note that PC Magazine
      programs are copyrighted and cannot be distributed, whether modified or
      unmodified. Use is subject to the terms and conditions of the license
      agreement distributed with the programs.<<